Head Gasket Replacement tips - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Head Gasket Replacement tips

Well, 165,000 miles and one HG finally went. I'm replacing them tonight and tomorrow night so I thought I'd ask for tip from people who've done it. The driver side looks pretty straightforward, but the pax side looks tougher. At the very least I can see that the fuel lines will have to be disconnected. My brother and brother-in-law are helping me, and we're all pretty competent home mechanics. I've done a HG before, of a Grand Am, and my in-law did one on a Taurus that had a 3.8 in it. My brother has an SC. Competence notwithstanding, there are doubtless some "gotchas" to be had in this job, and a heads up from someone who's been there would be great. Thanks
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 08:04 AM

a GOOD 15mm 6point socket is a definate MUST for the headbolts. Also a Power steering pulley puller would probibly be helpful also.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Are the HP/TQ numbers in you signature just from the chip? Not a lot of extra torque, but the engines have a good squirt of that already. 25 ponies would sure be nice. Where did you get the supercharger? I've been thinking of one but knew that my head gaskets would be getting weak and didn't want to take the risk. Now that I'm changing them anyway, I may look at it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Re: Head Gasket Replacement tips

Also, I've been reading some of the other threads on this subject, and I seem to have found some people who only changed one side. Is this ok, or shoud you do both? If one at a time is ok, is there an easy way to tell which side is bad. A compression test, particularly on the pax side, sounds like almost as much work as changing the gasket.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 09:05 AM

DON'T be cheap, change them both!

My car makes 165 REAR WHEEL HP, that about 205 HP at the crank 60 more than stock! Ported heads, Underdrive pulley, cam, fordchip tune,and ported intakes got me my 60hp gain. the blower @ 9-10 PSI intercooled should give me another 80-90 hp @ the crank.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 11:37 PM
Cougar Pilot

Rancherlee as you may or may not know I have a 1991 Cougar LS sitting in my yard here with 1 or more blown headgaskets. It's been down since early November. I was wondering what I should do to it between now and when I change the HG's. I don't want the engine to seize up or anything as it's still a good body and I have the parts to make at least 1 good V-6 car. Or do you think I should just pull it apart ASAP and change the headgasket before too much time goes by?

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 08:44 AM

you don't want the coolant sitting in the cylinder(s) too long or they will start to rust. best bet would be to pull the plugs and get most of it out and spray some WD-40 or something like that in the cylinders for now.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 07:32 AM

If I were you, I would definately do both sides. I also had to do a head gasket job at 165,000. If you have done a gasket job before and your brother has done a head gasket job, you should have no problem at all. The passenger side looks difficult, but its really not to bad. The only problem I ran into was that to tighten down the headbolt's after your 500 miles, you cannot get to them because of the intake covering up the valve covers, other than that, its cake.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 08:05 AM

Check Those heads!!!

Make sure you take those heads to a reputable machine shop to have them pressure tested and planed. A warped head could cause another blown headgasket in a short period of time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in