Eratic and Uneven Temp Readings ?? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Angry Eratic and Uneven Temp Readings ??

Hello folks new guy here, I have a 95 cougar 3.8 that I bought this summer for $725, Altho the deal was great its a very nice car I was weary of the 3.8 headgasket eating engine.

Anyway now that winter has set in and its freezing out my temp gauge will go almost all the way to hot side and check gauges light comes on 2 minutes later it is all the way back down to "N" of norm then it will go back up to H then come back down even colder almost into the blue color on the c side, most of the time the heat will be ice cold altho warm does come in spurts.

Last night I changed the t-stat and test beat it around the neighborhood same story, later I drove it 20 minutes at highway speeds to a movie, same situation, cold the entire way there (saw empire it sucked).....Got out of movie car had heat 2 minutes after we left the lot and went up to "N" of norm heat was hot the entire way home temp gauge never moved from "N"

Seems like I went thru something similar to this on my F-150 5.0 several years ago when one of the heads cracked, the oil in the cougar is clean and doesnt seem like it has a blown headgasket, altho the exhaust always smokes in the cold and it seems like some cars dont, i mean if the car sits idling in the same spot for ten minutes there isnt a puddle there like from excessivive moisture, altho like i said the exhaust always steams, I havent verified wheather there is coolant loss or not yet, But I dont think there is, and it never really overheats seriously it just goes up and down and no heat

Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated !

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 07:39 PM

I had a heating problem with my car too, turned out i had an air bubble in the system that got super heated and messed things up.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 07:54 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Sending unit maybe?

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 08:57 PM
Cougar Pilot

I don't know your problem, but it could have something to do with the price being so low. Does your coolant overflow? Your headgaskets are bound to blow eventually and without warning usually. It might be an idea to go to a Ford dealer and have them check it out for $60, it could save you alot in the long run. Otherwise scrap the 3.8 that you hate and go out and buy a 4.2L or a 4.6L and bolt it up to your tranny and be alot happier with your car, and still have a steal of a deal on a great car.

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to 59bisquik
My 3.8 did that EXACT thing and a couple weeks later blew the head gaskets...Matter of fact it is being rebuilt right now.

94 3.8 Thunderchicken
59 Chevy Biscayne undergoing frame off rodstoration 383/Hilborn Stack EFI
54 Ford Customline Coupe 351/AOD
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down

Well then I went to order some fel pro gaskets for my car, its still alive and runs pretty well other than the usual cold start main bearing knock, $76 for the gasket kit

Hopefully the aluminum heads arent to warped and wont need to be shaved or any cracks found
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 10:53 PM
Formerly Fdawg97LX

Send a message via AIM to Fdawg03SVT
which cars are covered under fords extended warranty for the the headgaskets on the 3.8's? I think its 94-97 with less than 100k, right? someone please help me out here, i have a friend who just found out his headgaskets are in the process of going and he has a 96 3.8 xr7 with 66k on it. Any help is appreciated.

Frank

2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Suzuki GSX-R1000

Previous Rides:
2003 Suzuki GSX-R750
2003 Mustang Cobra 10th Anniversary - 11.2 @ 130
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 - 13.7 @ 103
1993 Thunderbird LX 3.8 - Slow
1990 Thunderbird 3.8 - Slower
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 04:50 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Frank,

Has he tried checking with a dealer to see what info they have on it? I thought the recall was good for 7 yrs. or 100K miles but he might want to check it out to be sure.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 04:53 PM

4.6 wont bolt up to the tranny. but 5.0 will. oh, and my engine always has steam coming out of the pipes, its got 25,000 mile old headgaskets... but i also have no cats and its been pretty cold. -greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in