help - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

help

ok guys kinda new here .i have a 93 thunderbird lx 3.8 a few questions.thi is my first 3.8 ive ever owned and ive heard their bad for blowing head gaskets,correct?well was wondering what some of the symptoms of a blown head gasket would be.also if i was to do an engine swap (same size) should i look for one the same year or are they changeable through the year models .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 06:57 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
This is a cars for sale forum. You should post this in the 3.8 forum.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 03:38 AM
6th Gear Poster

You'll definately know when you have a blown HG. You'll have a white smoke comin out of the exhaust, a sweet smell, and your car will run like crap, because you will have a mis-fire. IF you take care of your car you should be fine. Yes, the 3.8s are notorious for the HG's, I even blew mine on my 96' but honestly, it was the best thing to ever happen to my car PERIOD.

I say that because I learned so much about my vehicle, and did about 99.8% of all the work by myself, with barely any mechanicing experience at all. Don't be scared about blowing your HG's, it's an experience that most of us go through with these engines. If you were to do any changing at all, I'd look for a set of 96+ heads for the 3.8, because they (supposedly) have fixed the HG problem with them, or atleast cured most of it. But double check with some other guys on this site before takin my word.

~X=Remember, every problem is a blessing in disguise=X~

96 3.8 NA, 180* T-Stat, PnP Upper and Lower intake, Air Silencer Removed 9" K&N added to fender well, Mild J-modded transmission, 24K B&M Supercooler, 2.25" dual Magnaflow high-flow cats w/2.25" di/do Magnaflow, JVC El-Kameleon LX-30.

RIP Orion 800.4 amp, and Ascendant Audio 12" sub. Caught on fire in trunk...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in