no oil= very shakey motor lol - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thewishkah
no oil= very shakey motor lol

So not checking the oil for 3 months(I know shame) and having a small oil leak is a bad thing. I was low on coolant today and I went and checked all my fluids and well my oil dipstick was DRY. I have had an uncontrolable motor shake which I thought was due to a bad mount but after new 5w-30 and new filter it didn't shake at all!! I think If I hadnt checked it I would have a nice paper weight, how ever would of given me the chance to finally do a 5.0 swap; ) ....someday. Tomorrow I am doing tranny fluid/filter but Im going with mercon 5 not 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 07:30 AM
Street Freekz

Send a message via MSN to 96_Cougar Send a message via Yahoo to 96_Cougar
Wow....sounds like you need to keep better check on the fluids in the Cat.

In Memory of FD 420

"This will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave" ~ Elmer Davis, American news commentator (1890-1958). God bless all veterans: past & present.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

lol yeah well I had a little issue finding the dipstick, it was hidden in my speaker for my alarm lol(I am ashamed to admit it). I never see a coolant leak but it disapears after about 2 months and its not into my oil or trans fluid. where does it go? your guess is better then mine. Today I am doing trans fluid and filter, should I do the fluid in the tq converter as well? I am going with mercon V to help out a little bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 09:13 AM
It is nice

might be your heater core leaking look on the passenger floorboard. Yea do the convertor also; if not at least put some additive about 7ounces should do for that left over mercon 3. Lubeguard shudder fix, they sell it at any autoparts store.

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (WT): Removed Air Silencer. PBR Brake Upgrade. J-MOD. Silverstar Headlights. Vogtland Springs 1.6". Front Sport Shocks/ Back KYB's. PI Cams. Xcal2 by Lonnie.
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 3.8L: SOLD
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I know what a heater core leak is , I had one in my 94 explorer I changed it myself, But im 99% sure its not that cause there is no scent of radiator fluid or smoke from the vents. and no leak on the inside or any puddles on the ground.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 06:50 PM
3rd Gear Poster

My guess would be that the headgaskets are gone. Probably the most common problem on the 3.8 MN12's. You should have it checked out.

Ron

...Semper Fidelis...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 07:07 PM
5oh Transformer

Send a message via AIM to ZeroRain
on my 91 3.8 it just barely leaked from the water pump gasket. had to refill a gallon or so about once every month. only reason i found it was because the snow was melted at just the front of the motor.

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX EFI Swapped 311 5spd "TT 5oh project"
1998 Ford Taurus SE 24v Duratec auto "DD"
1966 Ford Galaxy 500 352 Cruise-O-Matic "Restoration Car"

We don't just dream about fast toys, we build them!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Well the headgaskets did go and my friend who had the car before me put in sealant which stopped it from leaking, the reason I rule out Head Gaskets is because then my oil would be discolored and really nasty(which it wasnt) and also I would be getting really hot which the car doesnt at all , it usually runs on the cool side.

Upon further inspection I noticed the lower radiator hose is nice and swollen on the motor side so it might have a really really slow leak there. I plan to change that in the coming week or 2 after that all my fluids will be new=) lol. I did trans fluid and tq converter drain new fileter and replace with mercon 5. The rear diff looks like I just changed the fluid still nice and clean like it came out of the bottle lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in