A/C Delete - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

A/C Delete

Has anyone attempted this? My a/c unit is just dead weight at this point, it would cost too much to fix it to make it worthwhile. Would yanking it be a big huge project or would it be along the lines of just taking it out and putting a smaller belt on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 09:12 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to rzimmerl
go to supersixmotorsports.com they have a ac delete pulley for 115

1990 SC AOD 1.7L AR....11.75 @118
441 RWHP 435 RWTQ
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 11:57 PM

damn they charge 115$ for that, Man I should start building them, only cost about 30$ for materials to build one...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 12:16 AM
Cougar Pilot

go for it rancher, I might buy one someday if there's a resurrection

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 10:07 PM

I've kinda thought about doing something like that, cause i RARELY use the AC.... how much power do you think you'd pic up by just completely deleting the AC???
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 12:19 AM

how much power would you Pick up, NONE! how much power would you SAVE, NONE!
The AC clutch kicks out at WOT so there is no parasitic loss when you have the gas pedel pushed to the floorboards!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 10:59 AM

Lightbulb

I dont know about your 3.8/5.0/4.6 but i dont have ac and a few other things on my 351W i just have the bare essentials (waterpump, crankpulley, alternator, and pspump) which all i had to is get another serpentine belt id rather pay 20 bucks for a different belt than pay 100 plus bucks for all of that id look into getting a different belt first i was you
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 03:44 PM

in the meantime...

you can do what I did... My AC hasent worked for awhile either. The one thing I hate is the Clutch kicking in and out when I turn on the temp control... even for heat in the winter!! It may not steal any noticable power when the clutch locks up but it is annoying. the sound of it clicking on and then realizing there is no freon pressure and clicking off kills me! Plus its wearing out the clutch turning on and off every minute or so!! So what did I do... simple, unplug the clutch's power harnes! takes 2 seconds and it will save the noise and clutch... Plus if you have ever stoped with just enough brake power to stop the car, then oh wait... the clutch kicks in (or out) and the car starts to move!! Thats annoying also!!

Jake
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rancherlee
how much power would you Pick up, NONE! how much power would you SAVE, NONE!
The AC clutch kicks out at WOT so there is no parasitic loss when you have the gas pedel pushed to the floorboards!
Right... but youll prob grab about 50 lbs of weight if u pull everything. Depends on if you still want your heater.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah? Where is that harness? I haven't had a problem with what you're talking about, but my clutch plate (I think. it's a plate on the front of the a/c compressor) wobbles when I start the car up and makes a loud clanging sound. Would yanking that harness possibly remedy this?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 05:22 PM

I doubt it...

it sounds like something is physically broken or loose on the pully/clutch itself. either way, the harness is located right between the pully and the compresser itself, right on the top. Mine pulled out no problem at all.

Jake
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 06:11 PM
PostWhore

Don't by anything from that Carpet Bagger at SSM. That guy is the biggest ripoff artist in the biz. He is just reselling a FMS ac delete you can buy from Summit for 45-60 bucks depending on which style you need. His reground cams are farmed out to Crower and cost him less than $150 but what does he charge....$340.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in