Radiator Replacement/Repair - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Radiator Replacement/Repair

Greetings All,

I have the dreaded HG failure in my 94 Cougar. Since the repair will have to wait, I have been driving the car, and refilling the cooling system on a regular basis. Well, today a crack developed in the radiator where the upper hose attaches.

My question is there a quick fix for the plastic repair? I was thinking of running some JB weld inside the neck to try to stem the leak. I know this is temporary, but to spend the money on a new radiator just to have the same thing happen does not make a lot of sense.

On the replacement side, I have seem some cheap radiators on eBay, and was wondering if anyone has used these, and are they any good?

Many thank for any thoughts you have.

Ron

...Semper Fidelis...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 01:53 AM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
I wouldn't spend any more money on the radiator than you have to, because you're going to be replacing the engine pretty soon if you're driving on blown headgaskets. I'd just get the cheapest thing available to you. Check out the junkyards. JB Weld might work.

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I think the car will go before I replace the engine. Perhaps a junkyard rad might be the way to go. I will give the epoxy a shot, I know the pressure will just pop the epoxy, but I have to stem the flow of coolant for a little while.

Ron

...Semper Fidelis...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 04:37 PM

my radiator leaked along the lower seams and i used jb weld.its just a temporary fix but i patch up the seam every 6 months with jb weld.its been 3 yrs now.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 06:34 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
I have a question since we are on the topic of radiators. The circled item in the picture below is called the Coolant System Air Bleed but the manual does not mention utilizing it when replacing the radiator and fluid. Any thoughts on this? I never used it before (mainly because I could not get it off) and now that I can (I just did a head job on my 3.8l), should I use it when I flush the system?

(sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 04:07 PM
2nd Gear Poster

loosen it..

I can't believe that these aren't on all cars. I wish they had them on my old car. When you fill it up have it loose, it lets the air out so you don't get an air pocket. It is at the highest point--radiator much lower. Spray some good penetrant on there and loosen it. Squish the radiator hose and burp it with it off and you can see if you have all the air out of the system. Don't forget to tighten it back....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in