Upgread to Splitport - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

Upgread to Splitport

I see that upgrading a 97 block to be a splitport motor isn't as simple as plopping splitport heads and Mustang upper and lower intakes on it.

Other thatn a funky EGR setup, a different fuel rail, and a different TB, IAC, and TB linkage, what are the gotchas? Can I just use my DIS and single port coil?

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 09:11 PM

You can slap the splitport heads and intake on the 97 block.. you'll just need the modified fuel rails etc. You can by the topend kit from rpm-mustangs.com
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

NiteFire,

I've seen the kits offereed by RPM and by Super6. I have not seen much on a head and intake swap.

I have the splitport heads from a 97 F-150 and the intakes from a 2000 Mustang. I now know I'll need a TB and a different IAC. I believe the Mustang TB forces me to use a different throttle cable.

The EGR is different. I go back and forth between deleting the EGR by using a chip and a plug to putting in some parts from the "parts bin".

I'd just like some info on the pros and cons of what needs to be changed because of the differences in parts.

I may remote turbo this car down the line. With the 2000 intakes, I won't have problems on that score.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

I think the intakes and Throttle Body are still different, but I've been known to be wrong before.

The heads, block, and most of the accessories should be the same or at least bolt in.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

I think we are asking for the same type of information. What is really different about the different year engines and configurations. Some articles I'd like to see:

How to switch back and forth between splitport and single port.

How to go back and forth between EFI and non-EFI.

How to go back and forth from electronic ignition to distributor

Now am I asking too much?

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

the 95 mustang is the same engine. the SAME engine. no difference in performance or power at all. a swap would be of no benefit to you at all, whatsoever.

Dan,
Delete the EGR, you mentioned not chipping it if you kept the same injectors, MAF, etc. You're still flowing more air and need more fuel for that, that the stock tune computer cannot compensate for you. You need a tune, or at the least, a chip. If you're doing this, you might as well use 19# or 24# injectors so the extra power is getting extra fuel without any doubt in your mind. Also, if you need the chip anyway, spend less money on the swap and just delete the EGR. It will save you headaches and time and money. All beneficial to your project eh?

Your throttle cables will work, and being a 97, you have the 4r70w. The bracket should work with your cables, but you might want to consult racecougar, SplitPortBird, or 4.3cougar to be sure. They have the experience, I just have the book smarts.

-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 09:10 PM
The Parts Guy

I don't remember exactly what the problem was with the throttle body linkage, but I do remember that we had to cut the linkage off the 2000 throttle body, and weld the 94's linkage in place for the cables to attach to it correctly.

As long as you don't have to have the EGR for emissions, I agree with Thomas, ditch it. I'm running EGR simply because I would fail the visual portion of the emissions testing without it. You're definitely going to want to get a tune anyway.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 11:26 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Ainline41
94-98 mustang 3.8s r indentcal to our 3.8s
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 11:48 PM

the 96+ are alittle differant. The Intake bolts are differant and the heads don't have the gasket problem
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 12:48 AM
Resident Line Creator

Send a message via AIM to th3subtl3on3
I'll throw some mixture into this thread. Is it much more work to get this to work on a earlier 3.8? Oh say, an 89?

-Brian
1989 Mercury Cougar - Anything but the Ordinary

Fully Built 4.2 Coming Soon, Parts include:
SC Block, 4.2 Crank, Scat H Beam Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Custom Comp Cam, 3/8 Main Stud Girdle, Ported/Polished Split Port Heads and Lower Intake, Windstar Upper, Heavier Springs, 1.73 Roller Rockers, BBK Valve Covers, Kooks long tube headers, Aluminum Radiator.

It May Not Be Pretty When Finished, But It'll Perform Pretty Darn Well.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 01:51 AM

Yea, it'd he alittle harder. You don't need but its reccomended you put a shiftkit in your AOD or have it built with 4r70W Internals. You'd also have to hook up your distributer or convert to DIS. Other then that it should be like a swap in a 94+, though the 94/95 should convert to DIS also.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

You'd think a simple intake and head swap on a N/A V6 would be just that!

Well, Thomas now you see why I was asking about the Mustang TB. I see RPM-Mustangs has a "stripped" upgrage kit for $400. I might be able to swing that and the TB if I have what I think I have left over from painting my car. I don't know if I can go a Chip set up. I think I can get a programmable from SCT, but not sure I can swing that right now.

I mainly stay below 2000 RPM in my driving, except for the Clashes and possibly Hangoverfest. Thought I could get by until spring without the chip or the cam I have waiting to go in.

Oh anyone know which ARP head stud set works with the splitport heads?

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 10:30 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhumane
so... does that mean the ngine in my 95 lx is identical to that of a 95 mustang 3.8? and if so, is this a direct bolt-on for me? that would be great!

you never mentioned anything about split-port swaps, just the 95 engine and yours. Maybe you could word your sentences a little better

a distributor will fit with the mustang intakes if you delete the EGR or make a custom EGR pipe for it. You do NOT HAVE to convert to DIS.

-Thomas

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 09:42 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

well then yes, if a split-port swap works on a mustang 3.8, it will work on your 3.8. The kit supersix sells for a 95 mustang will also work on yours. If you have emissions inspection, or visual inspection, you will have to either convert to DIS or make a custom EGR tube.
-Thomas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in