A question on blown head gaskets. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

A question on blown head gaskets.

Ok so I see white smoke out of the tail pipe as a common symptom for blown head gaskets. But does this mean constantly, or when you start the car?

My car has white smoke coming out of the tail pipe when I start it, but it eventually goes away after it has warmed up. Also, the sound coming from the exhaust is odd....its hard to explain but I would describe it as intermittent popping. Which to me sounds unusual, but my dad says there is nothing wrong...

My oil.....looks like a chocolate milkshake. I assumed (and am hoping) that since the oil filter was not changed that it is mixing with the previous oil already in it.

My head gaskets were just replaced 2 weeks ago, I haven't actually driven the car because it overheats extremely fast, but now i learned about purging the colling system when filling it, which I am going to do later today. If that does not work, how can I check if my water pump is working correctly?

Maybe the head gaskets were installed wrong? God have mercy.....if thats the case the car is going to the junk heap because I have neither the time nor money to fix. It pisses me off that cars were made so poorly and can have so many problems. I enjoyed driving the thing and it was a graduation gift from my parents.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 07:49 AM

I would take the car back to where I had the work done and have them check it out. If you had the work done by a qualified shop, they should have some kind of warranty or guarantee on their work
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 08:14 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I agree with birds4us. Take it back to where it was repaired, and have them check it out. If they replaced the HG, but didn't pressure test the heads and resurface them, it was pretty much a waste of time.

As for the steam coming out, mine has blown head gaskets, and it smokes a bit after I start it in the morning, but going down the road, no steam. My oil is still good, so I got lucky when mine blew up. I just have to add coolant every day.

I am curious why a shop would not have changed the oil and filter after doing a HG job. It would seem that job is a no brainer. Having coolant in the oil is very bad for internals, like bearings and such, so I would have the car checked out by the guys that did the job.

I am hoping to get another car, instead of fixing this one, but financial issues may have me getting the old cougie fixed up.

Ron

...Semper Fidelis...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

A friend did the hgs for me. I myself took the heads to a shop and had them machined and they were perfect with no cracks. He torqued all he head bolts so i'm not seeing what ELSE could be wrong with the car.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 06:55 AM

Change the oil and filter at least twice, check the cooling system to make sure it is full and has no air. Did you change the plugs when you had the head gaskets done? I would suggest it. White smoke in the morning is OK as long as it doesn't smell like coolant and is not excessive. The head gaskets leaking coolant most likely took out the O2 sensors. Do you have a check engine light? Let us know what you find.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 07:42 AM

You have an internal engine coolant leak, most likely head gaskets, or intake gaskets.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 07:53 AM

How many miles? I would suggest trying to figure out where the coolant is going to. It may be time for head gaskets, which would include resealing the intake anyway.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 08:34 AM

If you do not have any coolant loss, and you don't have any other problems, then I would keep an eye on the coolant and an ear on the engine and see what happens. Is there any other reason you would suspect a problem?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by birds4us
Change the oil and filter at least twice, check the cooling system to make sure it is full and has no air. Did you change the plugs when you had the head gaskets done? I would suggest it. White smoke in the morning is OK as long as it doesn't smell like coolant and is not excessive. The head gaskets leaking coolant most likely took out the O2 sensors. Do you have a check engine light? Let us know what you find.
The friend changed the oil but not the filter. The O2 sensors have not been changed either so for sure they are shot. The spark plugs were changed and gapped. We just got a new water pump because we think its bad (i'm not entirely sure how to tell, but, the car will start to overheat within 5 minutes of starting it. There could also still be air in the engine so we bought the pump as a backup just in case there ISN'T air in the engine.) And yes I do have a check engine light. It comes on after I start the car so i'm guessing either the oxygen sensors or EGR valve is bad. Thanks, Scott.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 09:08 AM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotteiboi
There could also still be air in the engine so we bought the pump as a backup just in case there ISN'T air in the engine.)
there BETTER be air in the engine! what is the fuel gonna mix with? i think you meant cooling system, not engine

it would be wise to replace everything cooling system-related when changing headgaskets. change the o2 sensors anyways, unless you dont care about getting bad gas mileage. check the smoke to see if smells sweet. i dont mean inhale it, but get close enough to direct the smoke up to your face with your hand. if it smells sweet, you are still dumping coolant into the cylinders.

what kind of fool changes oil and reuses the filter? find a new buddy that knows what the hell he is doing...

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike
there BETTER be air in the engine! what is the fuel gonna mix with? i think you meant cooling system, not engine

it would be wise to replace everything cooling system-related when changing headgaskets. change the o2 sensors anyways, unless you dont care about getting bad gas mileage. check the smoke to see if smells sweet. i dont mean inhale it, but get close enough to direct the smoke up to your face with your hand. if it smells sweet, you are still dumping coolant into the cylinders.

what kind of fool changes oil and reuses the filter? find a new buddy that knows what the hell he is doing...
hahaha, yes. We know that air is in the cylinders. I will check today and see if the smoke smells sweet. Thanks.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Hi there! I'm back with a photo. =) This is what happens every time i start the car. When it is first started the exhaust cloud is a very smokey white and quite bigger than the photo. To my horror, it does smell like I am burning coolant. Within 5 minutes the car temperature is starting to climb above the normal range. What to do now is beyond me. Thanks!

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 07:53 PM

Maybe it is only the intake leaking, but the fast temp rising is not a good sign.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Yes, especially after the hg's were just replaced.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 09:46 PM

Where are you located?
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

I'm in a small town called Shingle Springs in California. Its about 40 minutes east of Sacramento.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 06:17 AM

Yea, that's a bit far from here, or i would take a look at it for you.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

I took off the oil cap and there is a white ring around the bottom. This is actually what I wanted to see because now I know that the hg's are leaking and I can dive in and start taking the car apart. =) Thanks for the help guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in