High Flow Cats question. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to CamellionCat
High Flow Cats question.

ok im about to order some high flow cats from www.supercoupeperformance.com, now they give me 3 sizes
1. 2"
2. 2"1/4
3. 2"1/2

now which ones should i get or will fit, i dont know the size of the exhaust tubes, these are the bullit style high flow cats, thanks for the help

Marvin M.

95- Cougar- SOLD (in loving memory)
Mods-17x9 cobra r's,H&R springs,KYB shocks & struts,removed air silencer,9"K&N cone,gutted cats,dual glasspack setup,cooling fan switch, B&M 24,000 tranny cooler.

Back in the game!!!
97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC-opal opalescent with black interior, upgraded with a 98 tranny, 18x9 black saleen speedstars, LMS dual tip mufflers, 5% tints all around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 09:59 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
It should be 2" pipe coming off the manifolds. I would check with the shop that's going to install them and see what they think, maybe you can go with a slightly larger diameter. I looked into the cats a while ago and was told they're not exact replacements, you'll need a shop to do some work to get them on.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

yeah i know the shop will have to cut my stock gutted cats off and weld the high flow ones on, i dont know if its going to be a lot of work though.

Marvin M.

Mods-17x9 cobra r's,H&R springs,KYB shocks & struts,removed air silencer,9"K&N cone,gutted cats,dual glasspack setup,cooling fan switch, B&M 24,000 tranny cooler.

Back in the game!!!
97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC-opal opalescent with black interior, upgraded with a 98 tranny, 18x9 black saleen speedstars, LMS dual tip mufflers, 5% tints all around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 11:50 AM
PostWhore

Why not keep the gutted cats? I have them on my 3.8 so I ask this only because I'm curious.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

well ive lost some low end torque, plus im running glasspacks and they dont help much with the torque either, im thinking on going to the flowmaster cat-back or two flowmaster 40's.

Marvin M.

Back in the game!!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 03:36 PM
PostWhore

That makes sense then. I have my cats gutted up front and have a high flow cat following them. It then duals off to 2 flowmaster 40's.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

94onair, do you have a pic you can share of your cats????? does it matter were you put the high flow cats, as long as its in the same spot were the stock cats used to be????

Marvin M.

Back in the game!!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 06:35 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Marvin,

When I checked them out they told me the new ones would have to be further down, definitely not in the stock locale.

Joe

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 06:47 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to PJ-4.2L
Do NOT buy those high-flow cats from scperformance. I don't mean to hurt their business, but seriously-- the worst purchase I've made for my car was a used par of those cats (had like 4k miles on them, I think) I got from a guy on sccoa. It only took a little while for me to figure out why they were being sold. The bricks inside don't have enough support (I wish I had a picture). They rattle (loudly) and eat themselves up. Eventually, they completely dissintegrate, and voila! Gutted cats. It only took mine 2 weeks. I had to shell out another 400 bucks for new cats. What a waste of my money.

PJ

PJ- 4.2L -
" 'DIY' was not meant for women."
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 06:57 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by PJ-4.2L
I had to shell out another 400 bucks for new cats.
PJ,

What did you end up buying then, new stockers or are there other aftermarkets? Thanks.

Joe

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 09:45 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to PJ-4.2L
Since what I got was the SCP downtubes with the high-flow cats on them, I just told my exhaust guy to find something small enough with the same diameter. He didn't have many options but I don't know what brand he put on. It's pretty generic. You know, if you look at catalytic converter design, there isn't much that can be improved. The SCP ones tried by reducing internal bracing, but they sacrificed longevity. If it helps at all, I bought a cat-co replacement cat pipe for my RX-7, and I am extremely satsified. It helped me pass emissions and weighed a TON less than the stockers. I'd try their stuff. Check Summit.

PJ

PJ- 4.2L -
" 'DIY' was not meant for women."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in