Head Gasket Gone!!!!!! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Head Gasket Gone!!!!!!

Ok guys....I took my car to 2 very reputable mechanics.......and both told me....that they think it's my headgasket.

We found that the water pump was circulating coolant....the rad was not clogged...the thermostat was opening up....and cooling fan was working fine......However, even though the thermostat was open....the upper rad hose had no coolant inside....it was filled with air....and my heater works sometimes, it goes from hot to cool.

So i was thinking to drop a used engine in.....But I think an HG job would be better....cause they take the whole engine apart, and practically fix anything else that's wrong.

BeirutsFinest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 04:02 PM

Im going to go start changing them on mine (95) now, i tried beating around the bush I changed the thermostat and all that was getting ready to change water pump, but only time a water pump needs replacing is it its leaking or if the car froze up, mine isnt leaking so its not bad, I bit the bullet when bisquick said his did the same thing and blew up.

Why not change them yourself less than 1/4 of the price and pretty easy work, and then YOU get to see the inside of your motor, This will be the deciding factor on my car, i ended up with the car on the cheap by chance, i could still sell it and double my money, If the cylinders are all wore i will buying a ford truck in february

I take it water hasnt made it into the crankcase yet, dont give it the chance
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 04:07 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to CamellionCat
beirutsfinest, how high did your temperature go????? mines stays in the middle with the a/c on but when i turn it off, it goes inbetween the R/N and back down when the fan kicks in, the good thing is that i wired my fan so i can turn it on, on high speed from inside with a switch, so im all set, car hasnt ran warm anymore. BTW do you have any coolant in your oil, have you checked your oil?????? thats an easy way to check leaking headgaskets.

Marvin M.

95- Cougar- SOLD (in loving memory)
Mods-17x9 cobra r's,H&R springs,KYB shocks & struts,removed air silencer,9"K&N cone,gutted cats,dual glasspack setup,cooling fan switch, B&M 24,000 tranny cooler.

Back in the game!!!
97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC-opal opalescent with black interior, upgraded with a 98 tranny, 18x9 black saleen speedstars, LMS dual tip mufflers, 5% tints all around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 04:25 PM

Even Better.....

Even better, which i saw someone else here mention, smell your coolant, mine smells like pure gas

Also the pressure from the compression entering has made my radiator leak in place i never thought it could Hopefully after all this is done and i dont have 20+ pounds of pressure in my radiator, hopefully it wont have all those leaks
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 07:00 PM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to 59bisquik
Well im going to start putting the engine back togather this weekend. My car had been showing signs of a headgasket for about a month (erratic temps and high temps) and then finally blew. It blew about two days after I had an oil change. It started acting up and then the car got really bad and was obvious it was running on 5 cylinders. I shut it down and had it towed home. It only ran a few miles with water in the oil and most people said I could just replace the headgaskets. Since it had 150k miles on the engine and working on 4000 and 6000hp diesels everyday ive seen what high mileage and or water in the oil can do. Long story short, the mains and rod bearings were milky from water damage but still ok (not by my standards but have seen many left this way) BUT, the cam bearings were wiped out!!! If i had thrown head gaskets on it....who knows how much longer that engine would have lasted. Maybe a day maybe a couple of months. But bottom line water in the oil can kill an engine.

I finally get my engine back from the machine shop tommorow. It was expensive but would of been much more if i had destroyed a crank or cam by letting the bearings freeze up.

Decked block
Checked main line bore
hot tanked block, installed new brass freeze plugs, cam bearings and oil galley plugs
Inspected crank, polished journals and radiused oil passages
Inspected rods for cracks and hung new hyperutectic pistons
bore block 020 over and deck plate honed
3 angle valve job with new valve seals and guides, surfaced heads
new timing set and roller lifters
new oil pump
new rod and main bearings
felpro gasket set
head bolt set

Total= $1400

New 4.2 cam from ford $166

New Bosch injectors $146
New idler pulleys and hoses

96 exhaust manifolds $150 plus shipping

PLus the misc. supplies like engine paint, gasket sealer, dremel sanding bits (port matching) and such.

It wasnt the cheapest BUT with a fresh engine I should get many more years of use out of my ride. And it was MUCH cheaper than letting ford rebuild it and I got to throw in a few minor upgrades.

94 3.8 Thunderchicken
59 Chevy Biscayne undergoing frame off rodstoration 383/Hilborn Stack EFI
54 Ford Customline Coupe 351/AOD
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Marvin

My temp was getting higher than the R&N....It went all the way up to the beginning of the red H and stayed around that area or a little below for a while.....My check Gauges light was on and stayed on...I'm not moving my car another inch. It is sitting in the driveway, till i figure out who is going to fix it, and whatI will do...either drop another used engine in there, or do just an HG job.

BeirutsFinest
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 11:47 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to CamellionCat
damn dude best of luck to ya, i rewired my fan so i can turn it on and off with a switch inside the car, so im all set, car hasnt ran warm ever since, lets just see how it goes from here.

Marvin M.

95- Cougar- SOLD (in loving memory)
Mods-17x9 cobra r's,H&R springs,KYB shocks & struts,removed air silencer,9"K&N cone,gutted cats,dual glasspack setup,cooling fan switch, B&M 24,000 tranny cooler.

Back in the game!!!
97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC-opal opalescent with black interior, upgraded with a 98 tranny, 18x9 black saleen speedstars, LMS dual tip mufflers, 5% tints all around.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 05:20 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
It might be more worth your while to find a low mileage motor, change the head gaskets, then throw it in your car. A little peace of mind. That's if you think you lunched the motor....hopefully not.
Bisquik, sounds like your baby will be around for many more years, good luck and enjoy!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 09:07 AM
6th Gear Poster

When my gaskets blew I took the risk and changed them out. The car had 150,000 miles on it. After I finished changing them I was going up RT 80 in Parsipany. I spun the rod bearins, and burnt up a rod. If you are going to just change the gaskets, at least pull off the oil pan and inspect the bearings. I would highly recomend you get a new (used) engine. I know the junkyard near me (Roxbury Auto Wreakers) charges $800 for a complete 3.8, and guartees it aginst any noise for a month.

If you need any help if you decide to do the engine yourself, drop me a line. I have all the tools needed including an engine hoist. Or if you need a recomdation for a good shop to do the work.

Jim

1993 LX 5.0
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 09:23 AM

Guess I'm Lucky

My head gaskets blew at 206K 2 years ago....luckily I was only idling in the driveway when it happened, but the telltale signs were there 2 weeks before....erratic temps, etc. Had a garage change out the gaskets, flush out the crankcase, plane the heads. It's still running without issue at 259K to this day! I just wish the rocker panels would have held up a little bit longer!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 11:42 AM

good lord that's a lot of miles!!!! My headgaskets blew 12000 miles before i got the car and they replaced the engine.... so i'm not too bad off with mine. My engine prolly has around 25000 on it now. Well, if i stick a vortech on it who knows what'll happen to it lol
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 11:50 AM

Yup, bought it 8 yrs ago with 40K. Has been the best car I have ever owned, other than the headgasket and some suspension parts, it has given me very little trouble. I remember my father the Chevy man had a fit when I bought it. Boy, I proved him wrong.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in