Missing when cold. Hmmm. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to PJ-4.2L
Missing when cold. Hmmm.

I've had this problem for a while now. When I first start the bird on a cold day, it seems to miss on a single cylinder. When it first started, I thought I'd chnge plugs, and the problem vanished for about 2 weeks. Then it started again, and was getting a little worse each day. It isn't that bad-- rev it a couple of times and it goes away. A few days ago I decided to regap my plugs- .45, I think. A little smaller than before. The problem vanished for about 6 days, but it did it a little this morning.

I'm gonna have to test my wires but I don't see why they'd fail when cold. Maybe it's one of my injectors or a harness? There wasn't much to read on the plugs-- they all looked pretty much the same. Any thoughts?

My last thought was oil blow-by. I have read about installing a fuel filter inline in the breather tube off of the valve cover.

PJ

PJ- 4.2L -
" 'DIY' was not meant for women."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 01:32 PM
PostWhore

Inspect those plugs very closely. I ended up finding that one of my center electrodes was no longer centered. I'm not sure if it cracked or what but I had the plug in my hand twice to gap it before I ever noticed it. The thing that finally got the little bulb to go off in my head was that the plug was a different color on one side than the other. Once I replaced the plugs it runs like a new one. I also had a vacuum leak but I'm thinking you've been over those recently so that's likely not a problem.... solving the leak helped my idle but didn't fix it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 02:11 PM

my guess would be either a plug wire, or a faulty plug.... you have a newer cap and rotor on it right? I would take a look under the hood at night and see if there is any spark going from the plug wire to metal anywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 03:37 PM
PostWhore

Just remembered - Is your IAC still peeking out of the hood? Could there be something going on there?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to PJ-4.2L
I doubt it has anything to do with the IAC. I am leaning towards bad wires. I will get around to inspecting the plugs one more time sooner or later. Probably this weekend. Then I think I may invest in some serious wires. Any suggestions?

PJ

PJ- 4.2L -
" 'DIY' was not meant for women."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 07:20 PM
jim

motorsport 9mm 5.0 wires are what i got...only about 50 bucks
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 12:08 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to rzimmerl
had the same problem. new plugs and wires solved the problem. plugs didnt look bad but changing the wires maded the big difference

1990 SC AOD 1.7L AR....11.75 @118
441 RWHP 435 RWTQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in