5.0-3.8 Transmission Interchangeability - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

5.0-3.8 Transmission Interchangeability

Okay, I've got a 3.8 bird here.... I'm still searching, but as for the trans and motor mounts what do I need ? I'm reading that I'll need motor mount brackets from a 5.0 bird, but which years ? Also what about the trans, this car has a new trans, I'm guessing it wont work with a 302....

The car will be FULLY gutted, no interior, no dash, no power steering, no a/c, lightened to the max.... I'll be running EFI full standalone, so electronics are ZERO issue for me, I know what I need to do electronic wise.... I know someone who has an 8.8 limited slip aluminum diff I can take off his hands, this will be a turbocharged car, and I can do the wideband tuning here, than have it dynotuned.... My only hurdle is getting the motor INTO the car....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Veteran Poster

well 5.0's and 3.8's are the same bolt pattern i used a 3.8 trans for a summer and also the 93's have different mounts for the engine

93 LX: 89 SC rear sway, Tokico drop kit, JBA headers,ported and polished Edle Brock intake,ported e7's, E303 cam, Cold air intake,75mm TB,03 Lmaf, TwEECed T4M0, smog pump & ac delete, under drive pulleys, msd 6a, 1.7 ratio roller rockers, electric fan, 3.27 trac lok, 5spd, aluminum drive shaft, digital cluster converted to analog and it works!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

you can use 91 -93 5.0 mounts, but you must use the 93 lower brackets . you need the pcm and the whole front end harness. 2 parts lh and right . bigger fuel pump out of a 92+ v8 car. when the trans was built was it ugraded/updated with v8 and s/c parts ? if no dont expect it to last very long . yes he patterns are the same though and you will need accesory barckets off a mn12 as well . or a 94-95 stang with a 5.0

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

I dont need any harness.... I'm running the stock TFI dist out of the 302 just using the PIP sensor.... Microtech standalone with dedicated harness. Jacobs digital ignition and coil, I'm installing a 10 gallon cell, I have an aeromotive external pump and filter, I'm going to braided line it to the front and back.... I'm undecided on injectors.... I have 4 42lb injectors from an old project, I may go get 4 more 42 lb injectors (with the standalone I can run almost any size I want as long as their low impedance....)

Is anything on this trans electronic ? Doubt it but wanna check.... I'm just worried about mount, maniold/header clearance and trans. I'd like to get it "running" and upgrade the trans later.... I doubt it'll stay auto.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

no an aod is pure mechanical , but make sure you hook up that tv cable ands make sure its adjusted right or your going to updgradign that trans sooner than you think .

69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
mn12 less!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Okay so it IS an AOD afterall, I wasnt sure, I havent been under the car in a while, and I'm not too familiar with automatics.... Isnt the AOD what they put in the old 5.0 mustangs? (8?-93 Fox) and 94-95 5.0's ??

Is there any differences ? Can these be built strong or should I just C4 it ?

I know someone that has a glide cheap, but I believe they're only 2 speed, and I dont know what I'd need to use it.... And as far as I know the 351w shares bellhousings with the 302 also, I have access to almost anything I want.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

yes that what they put in a fox, yes there is , i would still prefer an aod over a c4, also you can put the 4r70w gear set in in and have a faster car. also 94-95 stang had an aode or early 4r70w , stay away from a powerglide this isnt a chevy

mn12 less!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in