Starting Problem - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Starting Problem

Have a 94 XR 7 with a 3.8 in it. Over the past couple of weeks the car want start after having been already running. Now here is what happens after the engine is shut off and restarted. Put key in the ignition turn key to start nothing happens, all dash lights come on so I have to play with it for about 3 to 5 mins before it will start.
Now when I say play with it, I mean turn the key off an on, several times. Anyone have any ideas as to what maybe causing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 11:05 PM

That sounds like a starter problem. My car used to do that when the starter got hot. I replaced it with a new one and the problem went away. =)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 09:26 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key and it doesn't start? Reason I ask is my Vic did this twice and both times it turned out to be the ignition switch. Just a thought.

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
If it is the starter try hitting the starter with a hammer or something and see if it starts then go from there and listen for the fuel pump

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 10:56 PM

When you play with the key, does it click, and try to engage, or does it just start perfectly when you get it to work? You are either getting a connection to work in the switch, or the solonoid is almost shot. Usually when the starter goes either the pinion throwout or the rotational motors wont function. It will engage, but wont turn, or it will turn but not engage. If the engine compartment mounted solonoid is bad, it should be evident because you wont hear it click.

Try this, when it doesn't want to start, turn on the fan blower motor. If it doesnt turn off when you go to the start position, It's the ignition switch.

p.s. Starters can draw up to 800 amps on cold winter mornings if it's availible. You might also make sure all the wires are good and snug. Bad connections can make it behave just as a failed part would.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Starting Problems

Ok Thanks for all the input. To answer some questions that was asked, yes when the key is turned on, you can hear the fuel pump hum, and when it does start it starts great. I hear No clicking when it doesn't START, i Just have to keep turning the key off an on several times then it will start perfectly.Let me ad this when it has been sitting for a while it will start my problem only happens after it has been running doesn't matter if has been running for 30 mins or 3 mins.

Last edited by Dartanion; 02-11-2007 at 12:10 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 11:53 PM

Yeah its definetly your starter. That matches my problem down to the T.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 02:02 AM

Yep, sounds like the starter is failing after getting heat-soaked. The solenoid is mounted to the starter and not on the fender/in the engine compartment as it was stated above. A new starter will fix er right up.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
yeah, it is the starter solenoid. but do yourself a favor, just replace the solenoid unless you got gobs of money laying around. it'll be much cheaper that way.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 11:36 AM

[QUOTE=master486] The solenoid is mounted to the starter and not on the fender/in the engine compartment as it was stated above. /[QUOTE]
K
I know my 5.0 has one in both positions, one on the firewall and another on the starter itself. Wasn't sure if these cars had the same setup or not.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
yeah his is a 94 not sure about the firewall mount?

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in