Idle question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Resident Line Creator

Send a message via AIM to th3subtl3on3
Idle question

I searched, but only saw posts regarding newer models. In my 89, is the idle adjustable in drive? Or is it also controlled by the ECU, just like all the others?

-Brian
1989 Mercury Cougar - Anything but the Ordinary

Fully Built 4.2 Coming Soon, Parts include:
SC Block, 4.2 Crank, Scat H Beam Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Custom Comp Cam, 3/8 Main Stud Girdle, Ported/Polished Split Port Heads and Lower Intake, Windstar Upper, Heavier Springs, 1.73 Roller Rockers, BBK Valve Covers, Kooks long tube headers, Aluminum Radiator.

It May Not Be Pretty When Finished, But It'll Perform Pretty Darn Well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 02:54 PM

Controlled by the ECU.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 07:12 PM
4th Gear Poster

On the throttle body you can adjust the idle speed by turning a adjustment screw. This will give you a different idle speed but over time the ECU will compensate for it and will return itself to a pre-determined idle provided the idle wasn't manually raise or lowered significantly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Resident Line Creator

Ok. About the screw, where is that set to? Mine is barely touching the bracket that its supposed to move. I wonder if mine isn't in the right position?

-Brian

SC Block, 4.2 Crank, Scat H Beam Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Custom Comp Cam, 3/8 Main Stud Girdle, Ported/Polished Split Port Heads and Lower Intake, Windstar Upper, Heavier Springs, 1.73 Roller Rockers, BBK Valve Covers, Kooks long tube headers, Aluminum Radiator.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
Don't mess with the idle screw, because once you fix the problem that was causing the idle, it'll be screwed up and you'll fight it forever.

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Resident Line Creator

I don't ever remember touching the screw since I purchased the car. Is there certain position that it is supposed to be set at, like when it came from the factory? I don't know if the previous owner would have ever messed with it.

-Brian

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 11:37 PM

Yes, there is a certain position. That screw is not an idle adjust screw like so many people misconceive it to be. It is the adjustment on the throttle body that allows a calibrated minimum amount of air to pass the throttle plate and it prevents the throttle plate from sticking in the bore. This setting must be precise as all of the PCM's calculations are based on this being at a certain setting. I don't know about your car for sure but to give you an idea of my car, that screw was tampered with a while back and to get it back to it's appropriate spot, I had to place a 0.002" feeler gauge between the throttle arm and the screw and adjust the screw until it just touched the feeler gauge. Then I had to turn an additional 1/2 turn to establish the proper setting. This procedure was obtained from the Ford service manual.

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Resident Line Creator

So from your setting, the screw was just barely touching the throttle arm when set correctly?

This is why I am asking. I purchased an underdrive crank pulley. I installed that the other day, along with a new alternator with a smaller pulley, to help with the charging. When the car is in park or drive with no lights on, the voltage is fine. In drive, with fog lights and/or headlights, the voltage drops down into the 12's. Once I start moving, the lights brighten and the volts go back up.

I thought getting the smaller alternator pulley would have helped with any problems. I guess it is not worth having an underdrive pulley on a daily driven car if it is going to cause voltage problems like this.

-Brian

Last edited by th3subtl3on3; 02-18-2007 at 12:09 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 12:18 AM

Yeah, the screw isn't making the throttle plate move very much. Don't get me wrong, the screw is making full contact with the arm. It just isn't pushing the throttle plate open very much.

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in