splitport swap aftermath - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Question splitport swap aftermath

I recently swapped out my old 3.8L V6 with a 2004 Mustang 3.9L V6. It was not as problem free as some expect. It went in though, and is running pretty well. I still have the CEL on, but I think it has something to do with the O2 sensors.
So here what's left:
1 - temperature guage.
this intake doesn't have a location for the temp gauge like my buddies 02 does.(that would have been too easy). And I am trying to find an alternative for the gauge. We used the temp gauge n the drivers side cylinder head for the computer but have nothing for the gauge.
Any ideas on how I can get a decent temp gauge w/o having to pull it and tap it?

2 - cruise control cable. Has anyoone come up with a solution for the different cable ends. I have a zip tie on it now, and it owrks, but who wants to take their car in for a dyno tune with a zip tie on anything? I talked to the local Ford dealership about ordering the one for the mustang but don'tif it will fit the other end or even reach for that matter.

3 - I can't get a cai tube to make the angle I need to avoid the wall of the engine bay. this may have something to do with the fule lines running above the AC lines instead of under. Can anyone confirm? or suggest a cai that will make the bend w/o peicing together a $60 piece of crap from the zone?

I will post more issues as they arrive. I really wish I had i-net access when I was redoing the fuel rail and trying to figure out why the balanced flexplate from the 96' was throwing off the internally balanced 2004 engine. As always thanks in advance for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 10:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
1 - try going to a plumbing supply store and make a bypass tube. i believe thats basically what ford did on my 94. for the guage sensor. basically, it's just advisable to keep it near the computers sensor.

2 - i think the sticky explains that you have to reroute it so it doesnt go under the fender.

the rest your on your own buddy.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stevinator View Post
1 - try going to a plumbing supply store and make a bypass tube. i believe thats basically what ford did on my 94. for the guage sensor. basically, it's just advisable to keep it near the computers sensor.
I had it this way at first, prior to replacing the heater core tube, but it was up close to the front of the motor where the tube comes out of the water pump up top. Bu ti had to extend the wire for the connector. I was reading temp but it was really inaccurate, it ran real low all the time. Then it would heat up for just a second, then cool off again like it opened up. I wondered if the wire in between was draining the temp, or if it was just in a bad place.

The new tube has a good point in the flow of it to put a temp sensor if it had like a 3" probe and wasn't a 1/2", but more like a 3/8".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 09:16 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
may be in a bad place. i believe it has to be before the thermostat. but im not sure. ill look at my car later today.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Question other options

does anyone know if there is a way to get temp off the cylinder head temp sensor? It's a 2wire connection, but I don't know what they are

Or how about an aftermarket temperature guage and sensor that I could tap in somewhere to get an accurate measure of the water temp?

Please help I just broke the entire motor down, put all new gaskets in it and got it installed and running well, I would hate to have to rip it out later and make a lawn decoration out of it.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 07:15 PM
The Parts Guy

Well, here is what I did way back in 2002.

Ignore the dirtiness, this car sees 600 miles of driving a week, and is definitely in need of a good cleaning at the moment.

Here is the ECT sensor:

And you can see the gauge sender in the lower intake manifold. I'm running an aftermarket coolant temp gauge, so my gauge sender may look different than yours.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!

Last edited by racecougar; 02-28-2007 at 07:20 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

OK, the ECT (as you called it) on my engine is in the back of the driver's side cylinder head. And there is no place for the temp gauge sender on my lower intake. I know I could pull it off and take it to have one tapped, but that is exactly what I am trying to avoid having to do.

How important is the ECT sensor vs. the temp sending sensor?
Would I be OK to put the ECT inline like you have yours and move the temp sensor to the cylinder head?
They are both the same threading. Question is which is better suited for the cylinder head and which is OK inline with the flow to the heater core? Which is more accurate and which has more room for innaccuracy?

Thanks for the help as always!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 05:19 PM
The Parts Guy

The ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) sensor is much more important than the temperature gauge sending unit. The ECT informs the EEC (the computer) of the engine coolant temperature, which determines when to run the electric fan, fuel enrichment on cold startup, etc. The temp gauge sender just tells the needle on the factory temp gauge where to point.

The ECT needs to see a steady flow of "hot" coolant (coolant that has passed through the engine and is about to be recirculated or sent to the radiator). The location of the ECT in the picture I posted above would be preferred over the location at the rear of the head, though it MAY be fine in the rear of the head.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 05:27 PM
The Parts Guy

Also, for your other questions:

I'm still running the stock 94 cruise control cable, which I rerouted to reach. To get everything to hook up to the throttle body correctly, I cut the arm where the cables attach off of both the '00 and the '94 throttle bodies, then welded the arm from the '94 tb to the shaft of the '00 tb.

I'm running a 94 SC intake tube, if I remember correctly.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

I think I will try to get the temp sensor into the same place you have your ECT for now. I found out why it was overheating and fixed that so I am not so worried anymore.
Is there anyway you could post a picture of the bracket where the cables are held. Right behind the throttle body (which you have a pic of above) there is what looks like a bracket from the old 3.8 adapted to fit on the new intake. That is where my problem is. Did you weld it or fab a bracket to make it fit?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

So I popped another radiator today, apparently the fan is not kicking in when it is supposed to, the pressure builds up too fast and it popped a hole in a brand new radiator.
I ran a jumper wire for now.

I guess the only thing to do IS to move the ECT from the rear of the cylinder head to the front of the motor.
Can anybody give me the BEST location for the ECT sensor? I figure it couldn't be worse than buying radiators.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 07:20 PM
The Parts Guy

Here is the picture of the cable bracket:

IIRC, the black bracket is an original '94 part, but I'm not positive of that. That's a piece of plate aluminum attaching it to the intake manifold.

As far as the ECT location goes, I can't really think of a better spot for it than where I have it located...hence the reason why I located it there. Way back when we tuned the car we did some datalogging and were able to see that the ECT was indeed getting a good flow of heated coolant at that location. I haven't had any problems with it, and I've been driving the car daily for over four years now.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

That's awesome thanks Rod!

I am using the original tube from the 04 V6 so I have a small loop just the other side of where your ECT is. I looked at it yesterday and I think I can get a smooth flow there.
I will get a pic on here somehow so you can look at it and maybe let me know if you think it's OK. I am not sure of the flow so I wonder if this location is going to work.

Again I really appreciate your help with this. I had to run a jumper wire to power up the fan manually because it was not coming on at the right time. This has kept it cool, but I am probably getting a bad ECT code so I have to get this resolved soon.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 05:14 PM
The Parts Guy

No problem.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Alrigth I found a local machine shop to do it for $40, I figure that will be the best way to go.
Do you think that the ECT would be better off in the front of the intake and the temp gauge sensor in the back of the cylinder head, or vice versa?
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 05:31 PM
The Parts Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn12v6x2
Do you think that the ECT would be better off in the front of the intake and the temp gauge sensor in the back of the cylinder head, or vice versa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecougar View Post
As far as the ECT location goes, I can't really think of a better spot for it than where I have it located...hence the reason why I located it there. Way back when we tuned the car we did some datalogging and were able to see that the ECT was indeed getting a good flow of heated coolant at that location. I haven't had any problems with it, and I've been driving the car daily for over four years now.

-Rod
It really doesn't matter where you stick the temp sender, as it just provides the signal for the crappy stock coolant temp gauge. The ECT is the important one.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Hey this is not crappy stuff, this is high quality equipment Rod. Alright I'm full of it.

So since Im getting the intake tapped I should put the ECT there, and put the temp sensor in the back of the cylinder head?
C'mon final answer. I'm tired of beating this horse.

And I really do appreciate your help and input, the guys on this site have always played a big part in my restoration of these beautiful cats and birds.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 08:44 AM
The Parts Guy

Yes, put the ECT in the intake, and the temp gauge sender can go in the back of the head.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in