passenger side spark plugs - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

passenger side spark plugs

Whats the easiest way to get these babies out without breaking anything?
What tools would you guys recommend using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 06:33 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to rzimmerl
flex head 3/8 drive spark plug socket

1990 SC AOD 1.7L AR....11.75 @118
441 RWHP 435 RWTQ
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 07:52 PM
2nd Gear Poster

On my 88 Cougal they really ain't that bad. I move everything out of the way that I can. You didn't state what year, so I'm gonna go with what I do on my 88. I remove the fresh air intake hose and have removed the plastic wire loom hold-downs that hold the two wire bundles to the strut tower so that I can move them a few inches as needed. I also remove the hose from the A.I.R. pump which is in the way too. A good ball head swivel socket (SK) and a flexable extension do wonders too.

1988 Cougar 3.8
1995 40th Anniversary Edition 4.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 08:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
Quote:
Originally posted by Wingnutt
You didn't state what year, so I'm gonna go with what I do on my 88.
Um, well on the side, to the left, it says his year, 97.
Ya, I'd like to find out how to take out my spark plugs and wires. A 93 if you didn't see on the side.

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian MySpace CarDomain
Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 08:39 PM
Cougar Pilot

Just follow all 6 wires to their respective cylinder locations. They're stuffed right in by the exhaust manifolds. Pull the caps off the plugs and use a sparkplug wrench with a rubber piece inside of it. I've never even used a swivel head on the plugs (I don't got one!) so it's possible with an ordinary ratchet, as long as it's not too long. It's not a real easy thing to do, but it shouldn't take you more than an hour and a half first time, including plug gapping time.

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 09:20 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Small, thin hands are a must! Just remove the air intake tube to make it easier to get at the plugs and wires.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 10:46 PM
PostWhore

I don't use a flex either but I'm thinking of checking into one... If you've got big fat fingers like me try turning your palm to the drivers side and stay close to the valve cover when you reach down in there. For some reason my hand will go right in if I go this way but I can't ever find a way through if I try to go straight in. I probably look goofy to any passersby but seems to be the best way for me to get at those plugs. A good point to remember is to always start the new plugs by hand, if you cross thread one it's a major pain to get it fixed.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 10:13 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Oops didn't see that, my fault.

As for the thick finger thing, same here. That's why I jumped on the flexable extension when I saw it. Advance sells a 3/8 drive 6" flexable extension, BUT it's made out of what looks like tightly rolled spring steel and won't stand up to to much torque. I don't use it to break the plug loose or tighten it, but I hook it up to my battery powered drill and it makes running the plugs up or down MUCH easier.

Now the ball-head swevel socket is somewhat of a high $$ item. You can get one thru SK or Snap-On tools, BUT they run about $30 a pop.

As for starting the plug into the threads, a length of vaccum hose pushed over the wire end allows you to guide the plug into place with one hand and turn it with the other away from all that stuff in the way.

1988 Cougar 3.8
1995 40th Anniversary Edition 4.6
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 10:43 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12how-to/ shows how to take out spark plugs, fuel pumps, speakers, more.

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian MySpace CarDomain
Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 12:31 AM

the crank!

i've seen some new comercials for something called "the Crank" it works like ratchet, only you twist handle, i'm sure it would make it a piece of cake. as for me, i just use regular ratchet and for the tight spots i use a little ratchet, like half the size, works well

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in