Mechanic's Quote Fpr HG Job.... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Mechanic's Quote Fpr HG Job....

Ok guys, After circling around and talking to 5 or 6 different mechanics, I decided on this one guy that I think is very good......I liked the way he talked to me and told me what he will do. and he looks and sounds like he knows what he's talking about.
He is the only one i feel comforatable with after talking to all the other mechanics.

He's what he said....after doing a complete test of the car, he said one of the heads was cracked....he did a pressure test, and some other kind of test where he used a computer to read the way the engine is firing. He said he removed every plug one by one, and my car didn't miss at all. He stepped on the gas and said he smelled a n odor of coolant from the tailpipe, though it was not showing in the color of the exhaust.....he also mentioned one thing that i have noticed for a long time....When the coolant begins to flow after the car gets warm, i always saw the coolant in the reservoir begin to bubble....mechanic said he saw that too, and said this is a sign of too much air in the cooling system.

So heres' what he said he will do:

replace head gaskets,
replace both heads with new ones (rebuilt) he siad he wasn't going to use my old heads.
install new valves, and valve seals,
new valve giudes
clean and all the other usual stuff.

he quoted me a price of $1,150.....I got him down to $960
What do you guys think??..............everybody else was giving me quotes of $1,200 without even knowing exactly what needed to be replaced.

All opinions welcome.
BeruitsFinest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 05:58 PM

my local for dealer wanted that much too do the job without using new heads. I work there and that was with my discount. If you like the guy and trust him go with it. Good Luck
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 06:58 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to rzimmerl
i payed 1250 for them on my 91, go for it

1990 SC AOD 1.7L AR....11.75 @118
441 RWHP 435 RWTQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 09:58 PM

well.. maybe if you got the cash... get them ported and polished. that way you'll not only have new heads, but a little kick in the seat. and if you have even more cash, get the intake done too.. its all worth it. then open up exhaust,.... *trails off into infinite list of possible mods to go FAST* -greg
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 11:47 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to PJ-4.2L
That price seems unusually low-- especially with "new" heads. I'd say go for it, but be sure this stuff is in writing. Also, you should seriously consider buying the ported heads-- use your olds ones as a core exchange.

PJ

PJ- 4.2L -
" 'DIY' was not meant for women."
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 02:51 AM

That sounds very cheap, if he's providing replacement heads including valves. Ford quoted me $1400, my mechanic $1200 to take care of my existing heads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in