Inspecting main bearings with engine still in car? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Inspecting main bearings with engine still in car?

Hello. Well, I pulled my engine apart to fix the headgasket and decided to check the main bearings to make sure they aren't ****ed, or replace them if they are. It isn't really feasible for me to pull the whole engine where the car currently sits, so I'm going to pull the oil pan.

My questions are:

1)Is there any easier method to pulling the oil pan than the one described in my Haynes book? I somehow doubt there is, but I thought I would ask just in case the resident experts know something I don't.

2)When inspecting the main bearings, what are the tell-tale signs of damage due to coolant in the crankcase? Are there even any obvious signs?

3)Can coolant in the crankcase cause any damage to any of the other rotating assembly parts?

4)How can I be sure I put the main bearings back in correctly? Is there anything I need to know that isn't detailed in the manual?

Thanks in advance for your help, this forum has given me hope for my beloved cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 09:09 PM

After rereading, I figured out why you are asking the question.

I dont know much about the 3.8 except headgaskets are a pain. To pull the oil pan in these cars is rough. To remove the oil pan, you just about have to remove the engine.

Last edited by Hobohuey; 04-20-2007 at 10:19 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 09:59 PM

You shouldn't have to check the main bearings unless you drove for long periods of time after knowing you had a blown hg. If you fixed the problem right after you noticed it then they SHOULD be fine, but it all depends on how much coolant we are talking about here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

well, the car sat for at least three months with contaminated oil, but it wasnt driven or run. i may end up rebuilding any way if i can find a good deal on a short block, but i was just wondering how easy it was to check.

sounds as if though if your gonna pull the pan might as well rebuild/replace.

i just dont trust those 17 year old internals.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedBostonian View Post
i just dont trust those 17 year old internals.

I hear you there, haha. =)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

I have another question but I won't clutter up the main page with another thread.

Will contaminated oil damage the crank itself if it has been sitting for a few months? I was thinking of getting a master engine kit from autozone and having my crank turned.

I know the bearings are most likely on borrowed time, but I just want to make sure it will be reasonably safe to reuse the crankshaft.

Oh, and by the way, when it comes to how much coolant is in the oil... well, lets just say the lifter valley looked like a milkshake ocean, and most of the coolant hoses were dripping contanimated oil. It looks pretty damned bad.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 12:30 AM

You would need to pull the crank and look at it. You could always have the crank turned and buy some oversized bearings to compensate for it.

But of course, if your looking to go the performance route with this car in the future, it never hurts to spend a little extra coin and go for a set of forged rods and pistons with moly rings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in