coolant pressure - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

coolant pressure

ok yet another problem. I am having a problem with my coolant devloping pressure when ever i start the car. I am trying to figure out if it is just an air bubble or what. if I have the rad. cap all the way on and the vent plug closed and start the car the rad. cap starts to vent the pressure off, and if i have the rad. cap open one click it starts pumping coolant out. any ideas? In case you dont know i recently did a hg swap. HELP wife is getting very annoyed that the car STILL is not running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Sorry about your luck but it sounds like the HG didn't seal. the engine shouldn't be pumping coolant out like that.

Pull the 3.8 and put a 4.6 in it; or get it running, sell it, and get a Tbird/Cougar with a 4.6 You'll save yourself money and heartache in the long run.

Good luck getting it diagnosed and fixed properly.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
your coolant system sounds to being presurized by the combustion chamber not gona lie you have a problem lol

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 11:24 PM
vvx
3rd Gear Poster

Had the same thing on a vehicle that needed head gasket replacement. On that vehicle, the heater and bypass hoses gave out under the pressure as well, though they did look like the originals with the car.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

what is the proper specs for the head gasket tightening? I just replaced the gaskets and now this problem. BTW the wrench i have is in inch pounds if someone could give the specs in that. Cant sell the car, to me sentimental reasons and no new motor, just replaced this one.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 10:16 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaking View Post
what is the proper specs for the head gasket tightening? I just replaced the gaskets and now this problem. BTW the wrench i have is in inch pounds if someone could give the specs in that. Cant sell the car, to me sentimental reasons and no new motor, just replaced this one.
OMG! You didn't torque the heads?

5. For 3.8L non-SC engine, tighten cylinder head retaining bolts in numerical sequence (sorry, I could not get the picture of the sequence) in three steps as follows:

a. 20 N-m (15 Lb-Ft)

b. 40 N-m (29 Lb-Ft)

c. 50 N-m (37 Lb-Ft)

6. CAUTION: Do not loosen all of the bolts at the same time, only work on one bolt at a time or possible damage to engine or leakage may occur.

In sequence, loosen retaining bolts two to three revolutions and retighten bolts one at a time in the following manner:

a. Long bolts:

l 15-25 N-m (11-18 lb-ft).

l Tighten bolt an additional 85-95 degrees.

l Go to next bolt in sequence.

b. Short bolts:

l 10-20 N-m (7-15 lb-ft).

l Tighten bolt an additional 85-95 degrees.

l Go to next bolt in sequence.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

I knew someone was going to think that i didnt torque them, I DID with new bolts; i just wanted to make sure I did them correctly.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

ok one more quick question before i rip back into her, I know the head gaskets are "crush" gaskets, however does anyone recommend using some kind of sealant as well for extra insurance?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
I have heard of people using spray-on copper gasket maker, but never for 3.8-specific applications. Definitely wouldn't use any kind of "goo" sealer.

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 09:41 PM
PostWhore

Any silicon gasket sealant used in the engine will ultimatly ruin the o2's. If at all costs, do not use sealants, use gaskets - even if you have to make your own with a razor and a whole punch.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 12:17 PM
PostWhore

I used Cornoa boxes and they worked better than the Bud boxes. Bud did not get more than 12k before blowing... Corona got about 18k...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in