Poor throttle reponse (revised) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
Poor throttle reponse (revised)

Well, I did a whole lot more to my Cougar this weekend. Seems to run better; better idle and sounds better too. Here is what I did:

1) Put a new muffler on, the old one was sounding pretty bad. I thought that might help some with performance. I would have done the exhaust pipe as well, but the guy on ebay sent me the wrong one. The right one won't be here until next week and I don't have time to wait. I cut the old muff off and slid the new one and that worked fine. The old exhaust pipe was in good shape.

http://planet.tvi.edu/bpearce/1994Me...aust/index.htm

2) Changed the bottom rad hose, it was leaking a bit around the clamp (not tight enough) and looking a bit bubbled on the ends.

3) Put the correct t-stat in; 192deg instead of the 180deg that I had in there. I read that an engine runs best at the higher temp (except high perf engines) and you do not get a full closed system when the t-stat is not working right.
(read the part about the t-stat)
http://www.familycar.com/Classroom/CoolingSystem.htm

Tip: with my 3.8l, the t-stat goes in sideways so make sure to get the t-stats with the lock on them that holds it in place when you mount it.

4) New rad fluid mixed at 50/50 and installed correctly; (except the part about the vent plug - that is a load of crap! Fluid comes out of that no matter what you do! SOB!)

http://planet.cnm.edu/bpearce/1994Me...20Draining.htm

(still with me on this thread?)

5) Tested the o2's from my old 89 Conti 3.8l and found one good and one bad per this test: (go to the bottom of the article about testing o2's)

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/ecms...O2sensors.html

I was not able to test mine from the 94 3.8l. They are heated o2's and should not make a difference, but it does for some reason. So I bought some new ones and went with Bosch even though I wanted Motorcraft. I could have ordered them from RockAuto.com but I needed them now.

Anyway, the car seems to run better, but it is no 4.6l like my town car - that is for sure. But it should get us to Vegas and back now after all this work! Needless to say I dropped a bottle of Lucas in the tank to see if that helps with anything else. I have a can of SeaFoam for the trip to Vegas as well.

Last edited by white lincoln; 05-07-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 11:44 PM

Motorcraft sensor, Bosch sensor, same thing.

And the vent plug should work. Did you turn on the engine with the vent plug not in because if you did that was your mistake. The plug needs to be out while you fill the radiator with coolant so that air is pushed to the top of the system and out the vent plug, then before you start the car you put the vent plug back in.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhumane View Post
...ran like a raped ape!
Raped Ape? OMG!

master486 - Yes, I followed the instructions from the service manual and they do not mention to put the plug BACK IN before starting the engine. Just the same, it worked. I had the plug out when I filled the system, turned the engine on, made a mess, turned off the engine - put the plug in, started it and backed out of the garage, filled the radiator, started the engine and let the air bubble out of the rad cap till t-stat opened, shut it down locked the cap and filled the overflow to hot line. Fraken tech writers... I guess when I made a mess, all the air would have been dispersed that needed to be...

Car is running a lot better, throttle response has improved a lot. I can now touch the throttle with my foot and it responds with a down shift. Before I had to push the 'pedal to the metal' to get a downshift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Okay, okay... so I don't always read the directions right... Yes, the book says to put the VENT PLUG BACK ON before starting the engine.

"Install vent plug after filling radiator (8005) and before starting engine."

I could just shoot myself for being so stupid. But instead I will just have another brew and call it a day...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in