TCCoA Forums banner

Trunk lock key

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Tattler 
#1 ·
This is a great site and provides much needed and appreciated help. My question is about the trunk key...if there is one.
I have read all of the posts, that I could find, about the trunk and opening it with a key. I read where it is a one key system, but not whether that one key should open the trunk as well as the doors and ignition.
I bought my '97 Bird from original owner's estate and rec'd two identical keys, I'm sure that is all they had. These work the ignition and the doors. They will not operate the trunk. From the original window sticker I see that the electric decklid release is listed under standard equipment. Keyless entry is listed as a $190 option on this Bird. Looking into the trunk lock, it looks like it has brass tumblers in there. The keyless fobs work the trunk lock fine as does the remote control under the arm rest.
My 'Owners Guide' on page 95 has a Note: You can open the trunk with your key without setting off the alarm. It does not say if the key referred to is the ignition/door key. Maybe the trunk lock is malfunctioning ? Froze from non-use is doubtful since car was always garaged. Maybe, even though the electric release was standard in '97 the book was not updated and Ford deleted the trunk key. It is unimaginable to me, but a possibility.
Any help in this search for a key is appreciated. Thanks, Mora

See less See more
#2 ·
trunk key for me was a 2nd key, lost it had a locksmith make me a new one....

#4 ·
MadMikeyL said:
or buy a lock cylinder and key from someone who is parting out a car and swap it in.
Or buy one from autozone for like $8.00 ;)

#5 ·
MadMikeyL said:
The trunk on all 89-97s is a different key. If you don't have it, you can either get one made up, or buy a lock cylinder and key from someone who is parting out a car and swap it in.

Mike

Not completely true!!!!

I have owned several birds (94,95,96,and 97). The trunk key is different for all except the 97. In 97 ford made all the locks on the t-bird operate from one key.

If your key doesn't operate the trunk you could have the trunk lock tumbled to match the rest.

Ron

#7 ·
rubiconron said:
Not completely true!!!!

I have owned several birds (94,95,96,and 97). The trunk key is different for all except the 97. In 97 ford made all the locks on the t-bird operate from one key.

If your key doesn't operate the trunk you could have the trunk lock tumbled to match the rest.

Ron
I haven't owned any 97s. That makes sense though cause some family members have various 98 fords and they all use the same key for the trunk as for the door, so I guess 97 was the first year of doing that. I stand corrected.

Mike

#8 ·
MadMikeyL said:
Oh. Didn't know autozone sold them. I'll have to remember that.
They aren't an MN12 specific part, Ford had those locks in a few cars, there's usually a book next to the trunk locks to tell you what you can use. :)

#9 ·
rubiconron is correct. 97 is the only year in whitch ford used the same key for all the locks. This helps when identifying a 97 because the trim around the trunk lock is silver instead of black. They also removed the locks from the trunk button and glove box.

-Miller

#10 ·
Thanks for all the info. Ford just doesn't seem to get the Owners Guide done very well. My 97 book says remote trunk lock works with Ign key in Acc or On. Fact is it works all the time. May try to find a glove box lock and retrofit it. Will seek out a lock smith or buy another lock for the trunk. The lock retainer for the trunk lock looks like a fair screwdriver would remove it and the little plastic piece from between the license plate lights with very little difficulty, from the outside. Dosn't look secure upon inspection. I suspect that Ford just threw in any lock available on this last year model, and mine was built in late '97. Window sticker has an Aug date....I thought they quit making them in June/July as that was the cut off for ordering one back then. Thanks again....

#11 ·
Well they went through at least September, at leat that's when mine rolled off the line, but I believe that is actually when they stopped too.

-Miller

#12 ·
Tattler said:
The lock retainer for the trunk lock looks like a fair screwdriver would remove it and the little plastic piece from between the license plate lights with very little difficulty, from the outside. Dosn't look secure upon inspection.
Since I replaced mine (that's why I know you can get one from Autozone), that clip keeps the nut around the cylinder from moving, once you get that off you still have to remove the nut from the back of the cylinder before it will move.

#13 ·
trunk lock key

Well, finally got to the local locksmithy and he had the cure for my trunk lock. WD-40 and his little 'tumbler pick'. He said, when I showed him the key, (only got 2 keys and they are both the same) that it was supposed to fit all of the locks on the car. Of that he was positiove and took his can of WD-40 and headed out the door and up the street to the car. I figured that it was about to get a WD-40 soakin' and followed along, (he had my key!) After about 60 seconds of jigglin' with his 'pick' and sprayin' and shovin' the key in and out and twistin', the trunk popped open. Yes it has the stainless lock trim as mentioned earlier above. He said that this happens alot because folks just use the fob and/or the remote in the car and the tumblers just seize from lack of action...i.e. if you don't use it, you lose it theory. Also said use some WD40 in each lock once a year and use the key ever so often too. Cost: nothing, but I couldn't leave without givin' a token amount anyhow. Thanks for all your input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.