TCCoA Forums banner

Rear Suspension help

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Waldorf 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a knock and popping sound in the rear suspension so I jacked up the car today and saw that most of the bushings are shot from the lower and upper rear arms. What are this called? Rear upper-lower arm bushings?

This it??

See less See more
#2 ·
I just replaced all mine within the past 2 weeks. The rear knuckle set is for the spindle to control arms. They go in real easy. You need a 4 inch 3 jaw puller to get the old ones out. You need 18MM to 24MM wrenches to get most everything out. You will also need a torx bit for the lower spindle to control arm pivot bolts. I don't remember the size. When I dis-assembled my car, I noticed that ALL my play was from the upper, inner, control arm bushing. This bushing is listed as an upper outer bushing on NAPA's website, as well as their book. It's actually the eccentric to adjust camber. the price was $55.00 each. I'd get a set before you start on the work. Good luck with the project. It's really not that hard.

#3 ·
OxmanWI,

Like U S Marine said, start with the inner-uppers... can be done on a set of ramps with a few wrenches/sockets. That might be where the noise is coming from. It'll help rear tire rear wear also. If you're cupping the inside of the rear tires, that's usually the culprit.

The outer knuckle bushings in poly are available here:
Spinning Wheels-SC for $135.00 a set.

For the inner lower control arm bushings, you can get polys from a 1999-2004 IRS Cobra Mustang available here:
Laurel Mountain Mustang for $57.50 a set.

You'll want #6-3llBL... You'll only use the lower bushings, the uppers won't work (the 4 large O.D. bushings in the picture on the site). They're still cheaper than the 4 stock rubber replacements, and really tighten up the rear suspension. While you've got everything apart, you might want new spring isolators - on the same site #6-1709BL. You'll need to order 2 sets though. Some guys say polys ride too rough, but the good news is that they don't deteriorate from ozone and oil like rubber does.

That's what I used on my rebuild, and am quite happy with the way it handles. Bought the car new, and it always felt like the rear end was going to break away first in a hard turn... not anymore! Rides fine as well. Getting ready to rebuild the front end... the second time. Can't figure it out, I've only got 300k+ on the car. :D

Best of Luck!
That is all...

#8 ·
icantdrive55 said:
Here are the outer knuckle bushings at Summit. Good price if you can wait a month.
That's almost a "too good to be true price". A set of 6 is usually well over $100.00. I'll try and stop by the store tomorrow and see what the real deal is: All six bushings? When will they REALLY be coming in?

nickmckinney's got it right. As in like this one:

Another One

This thing hasn't shown up yet. I was waiting for one back in October... timing chain was stretched. Ended up with a Trickflow billet roller set instead. Works fine though.

Anything definite, and I'll post back.

That is all...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.