Need OEM Rubber Front Strut Rod Bushing - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Need OEM Rubber Front Strut Rod Bushing

GB is blowing through the poly bushings. A local shop ordered an OEM rubber bushing through the local dealer, it was supposed to come in from Memphis last week, but, so far, it hasn't shown up.

So just in case they don't come through with the part, I need another source for the OEM rubber strut rod bushings. I may want to get some spares. Not so much worried about price as I am about honest info regarding availability and dependability of delivery.

Who is the preferred Ford partsguy du jour?

-mike

96 GoldBird

'96 T-Bird LX 4.6L Alive & well & living in S. Florida

N/A:
Renegade NPI heads/Comp Cams; OEM intake manifold; Bolt-ons
245 rwhp; 13.713 @ 99.35 (Commerce, GA - November 2003)

BLOWN: Renegade NPI heads; Renegade shortblock; Intercooled T-Trim; some other stuff
Pump Gas Numbers - 547 rwhp / 525 ft.lbs; Best Time - 11.388 @ 118.68 (Commerce, GA - November 2007)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 08:31 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Go to your local Ford dealer and ask them to do a locate on the kits that have all the parts for the front and rear of the tension-strut (there's a seperate kit for the front and for the rear) and find some dealers that have them in stock. Then, call one of those dealers and ask how much they'd sell you one of those kits; the individual parts from Ford are priced ridiculously high!!

Dennis
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 08:27 AM
Sig Nazi & Gallery Moderator

Administrator

I believe 93_lx (Jon) is our Ford parts guy right now.

TBIRDBRAIN - PRESTON
YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN
4/22/63 - 4/23/14
RIP JOEL BENDER
07/30/1979 - 03/26/2006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 08:35 AM
4th Gear Poster

Or, if all else fails, go to NAPA.

BYE2YOU
growing old is inevitable
growing up is optional
94 SC
05 PT Cruiser GT Turbo Convert
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.tbirdbrain View Post
I believe 93_lx (Jon) is our Ford parts guy right now.
Thanks

-mike

96 GoldBird

'96 T-Bird LX 4.6L Alive & well & living in S. Florida

N/A:
Renegade NPI heads/Comp Cams; OEM intake manifold; Bolt-ons
245 rwhp; 13.713 @ 99.35 (Commerce, GA - November 2003)

BLOWN: Renegade NPI heads; Renegade shortblock; Intercooled T-Trim; some other stuff
Pump Gas Numbers - 547 rwhp / 525 ft.lbs; Best Time - 11.388 @ 118.68 (Commerce, GA - November 2007)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 01:47 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Horner View Post
Or, if all else fails, go to NAPA.
Do NOT buy tension-strut bushings from NAPA!!! I made the mistake of doing that and, even though I replaced ALL my other front-end parts at the same time (UCA's, LCA's, coil springs, shocks, inner/outer tie-rods, new Continental tires, etc.), my front-end feels worse than it did with the OE parts that had about 143,000 miles on them! It sure as hell rides nice now, but at highway speeds, it feels like it's wandering and I have a vibration that seems worse at times than at others. I used all high quality parts, too (TRW, Moog). I believe the reason for all this is the poor-fitting tension-strut bushings I bought at NAPA. I had to disassemble my front suspension on one side soon after I replaced all my parts because I mistakenly installed one of my front springs upside-down (Vogtland told me it didn't matter which end of the spring was on top or bottom, just to make sure both were the same way and I accidentally put them in opposite of each other). Anyway, when I disassembled the tension strut and removed the NAPA bushings, the metal sleeve that slips on the end of the tension strut where it goes through the frame at the front was all crushed and distorted because it's WAY too long to properly tighten the bushings. I cut some off of it (and did so on the other side, too), but I just think NAPA's kit is just poorly designed (as, I believe, are ALL aftermarket tension strut bushings for our T-Birds/Cougars) and does not perform as it should. I believe that it is allowing fore/aft movement of the LCA's at highway speeds and this is what is causing the "wandering" feeling as well as the vibration.

Now, as I recommend anyone who is replacing these parts do, I need to get the Ford OEM ones!!

Dennis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in