TCCoA Forums banner

Removing AED Upper Plenum?

5K views 48 replies 9 participants last post by  thunder chicken 
#1 ·
I'm trying to take off just the upper plenum plate. I have all the bolts, connections etc out. But it's stuck on their VERY good.

I have tried up and down, side to side force holding it from the throttle body and it doesn't even nudge.

What is the best way to take it off? ANY tips please.

Thank you.

See less See more
#3 ·
The TB is just connected to the upper plate. It has ears on the bottom.

I'm just trying to "pop" off the entire upper part like in this pic. The red "gasket maker" has a real good hold on it.

Check it out:

#4 ·
I DO NOT want to take off the entire intake!!! What a pain in the arse. I just need to tap a nozzle spray on the plate for my meth/water. You can see on the top pick its now attached before the throttle body. I'm going after the rotors now.

#5 ·
Holly molly.

Is this oil normal?

I got it off tapping a rubber hammer to it.

#6 ·
Tail pipes don't smoke. Burns very little oil. I maybe add about 1/4 quart every 3,000 miles. I have a little valve train noise on the passenger side head... but its just the common lash adjusters noise.

#7 ·
Could this little drip of oil from the PCV entrance cause all that oil?

#10 · (Edited)
Yeah I had the same thing when I pulled mine off a couple weeks ago, but of course I cleaned mine up pretty good before I sent it out.

Does anyone have a write up on the oil seperator mod, how eazy is this?

[/QUOTE]

#11 ·
Yeah im taking mine off right now... almost out.

Just got back from Pep Boys... tools and a torque wrench. Ill check my torque on the heads while im at it also and change the plugs.

#13 ·
Yes that is normal...

You can try to separate the oil as mentioned, but the ALLEN cars pump oil back into the intercooler through the PVC vent. You create a vacuum when the blower goes into serious action. Boost on one side...suction on the inlet side. You'll suck a golf ball through a garden hose...oil has no chance to stay out of the plenum.

The reason you couldn't get the plenum lid off was due to the LOCTITE 510 Gasket Eliminator or High Temp Silicone Sealant that was used. A dead blow hammer always does the trick.

A-Train

#23 ·
You can try to separate the oil as mentioned, but the ALLEN cars pump oil back into the intercooler through the PVC vent. You create a vacuum when the blower goes into serious action. Boost on one side...suction on the inlet side. You'll suck a golf ball through a garden hose...oil has no chance to stay out of the plenum.

The reason you couldn't get the plenum lid off was due to the LOCTITE 510 Gasket Eliminator or High Temp Silicone Sealant that was used. A dead blow hammer always does the trick.

A-Train
Is all that oil really bad? Would you say the oil seperator mod is a must you guys?

#14 ·
How much torque on the bolts that hold the blower case to the intake manifold?

Please...

#15 ·
Also the two rear allen bolts that hold the rear of the case against the intake...

#16 ·
The T-Bird/Cougar install manual shows 17-22 lb.-ft. of torque for the 4 flathead hex screws that hold the blower to the intake manifold.

20 lb.-ft. should work for all the attachments screws. Trust me, they won't back out once the Loctite 510 sets up!

You can purchase more Loctite 510 from McMaster-Carr. Loctite is also called Gasket Eliminator.

www.mcmaster.com

A-Train

#45 ·
The T-Bird/Cougar install manual shows 17-22 lb.-ft. of torque for the 4 flathead hex screws that hold the blower to the intake manifold.

20 lb.-ft. should work for all the attachments screws. Trust me, they won't back out once the Loctite 510 sets up!

A-Train
So 20lbs on the bolts that hold the case onto the rotors also?

I don't have Loctite 510 but I do have Motorcraft Gasket Maker that holds up to 300*F. Will this work on the entire SC assembly?

And on all the bolts... Use the red or blue loctite?

Thanks...

#24 ·
Oil in your intake system can cause preignition/detonation which is never good. In an ideal world it would be great to have no oil but in reality it may not be that easy. The oil seperator will work. I personally use a brass sintered filter and whatever get caught there is allowed to drain back insead of collected. It doesnt eliminate but helps

#25 · (Edited)
#28 ·
I think painting the intake is a bad idea as it can retain heat. I doubt powercoating is useful but it's up to you guys.

Only one way to find out. Heat soak the hell out of it and measure the heat coming off the plenum on a 90 degree day. Then paint the plenum and retry the test.

Then scrape off the paint.

A-Train

#29 ·
Yeah I feel the same way... also have thought about polishing it, but I think that will also "plug" all the little breathing cavities the aluminum might have.

#32 ·
Here it is, the color is chrome smoke. I don't plan on painting or doing anything to the spacer. I like how the spacer is already polished. You can also see that I shaved off the COP nubs and pop can holder since I don't have COP or the AED coolant can. Can't wait to have everything back together!! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.