manually shifting a 4r70w - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
manually shifting a 4r70w

ok question for any auto gurus. i known only so much about how an automatic works. i do understand how a convertor basically works, some about stall speed, lockup, and some of the internal parts.

My trans is a 95 4r70w of course completly stock with 130k miles and no tune. I have manualy shifted my trans daily for years now. i hate the way the 4r70w shifts with the computer for one and the softness is unwanted and as ive heard soft shifts are actually a killer of the trans (low presure=less grip during lockup or what is it???) like i said some areas i need to start learning more.

Things i have read is lifting during manually shifting, downshifting hard, and keeping an auto in 1 or 2 for extended periods of time can cause oil seal damage due to excesive presure and clutch failures??

so basically does manually shifting put more wear on a trans or in the 4r70w case does the firmer shifts actually keep the trans going longer than the stock soft shifts??

as much as i do love driving sticks i do like the advantage of not having to lift and have the car lunge forward expecially on the 1-2 shift

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 06:56 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Well, manually shifting these transmissions is not the way to do it. Manully shifting uses different components in the transmission. Whether it will wear it out quicker or not on a stock transmission behind a stock engine is debatable. I say that it isn't good for it from what I have seen

The way to do it is to get the proper transmission setup and tune so that the car can shift properly in auto mode.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in