What does a bad 1-2 accumulator feel like? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

What does a bad 1-2 accumulator feel like?

Trans.. 1996 P-71 trans.

I ordered everything to do the J-mod, will be doing it next week.

Question is, how do they feel when the 1-2 accumulator starts going bad? My trans use to shift kinda well... stock. But recently it is starting to slightly lag for a second and then proceeds to a soft shift. Its not slipping but its right on that edge, and i dont ever remember the 1-2 shift being spreed out as wide as it is now, it use to be a little quicker on the shift.

IS this how a bad accumulator acts on these 96 trans with the crappy aluminum accumulator piston?

Hopeing the J-mod and new accumulator's will do the trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 10:27 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 94trouble
when the 1-2 accumulator spring goes it engages into second pretty hard. my accumulator spring is broken, and when second engages the car will jerk, let me see if i could explain it a little better.

its kinda like when you floor it coming out of first, and when second engages (if your still flooring it) will engage pretty hard and the car will slam into second

but it sounds like u need to change your transmission fluid, when's the last time its been changed?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Changed about 7 months ago. I would think it also depends on what spring broke. If its the bottom it would cause firmer shifts, if its the top it would cause softer shifts.

But what happens when the accumlulator starts loosing its seal because its the junky aluminum one that scuffs the bore and wears its seal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 06:00 AM
PostWhore

then i would think that the tranny fluid would "leak" past the seal and cause a delayed shift like you described, but dont quote me on it, im just taking a guess. i did the 1-2 accumulator spring in my other car, not hard to do and it did nothing cuz the tranny was junk....would lock up going into reverse.

but change it, see what happens, not pricey to do it.

most people talk, but few are up for the moment
-where there's money and imagination, there's cool cars
ohhh the Junkyard , one man's trash is another man's treasure

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I picked thi up from another site

A leak around the 1-2 accumulator piston will cause the intermediate clutch to drag to some extent and reduce pressure apply pressure avaliable to other transmission clutches. A really bad leak (i.e. missing accumulator piston) can in theory cause the vehicle to start out in "2nd gear" and miss "1st" entirely. But in actual practice, a large leak on this circuit may result in no 3rd and no 4th gear complaints due to lowered apply pressure on the other circuits and new fluid leaks created by the heat/debris generated by the slipping intermediate clutch. Connecting a mechanical pressure guage to the clutch taps will confirm or deny circuit leaks without disassembling the transmission.

Sounds about right. I will wait and see... hopefully the j-mod and new updated accululators I am installing next week pull everything together for the good.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Completed J-mod today using the 300 HP settings.

1-2 shift is quick now, so that problem is fixxed.

It shifts nice and soft but fast at light throttle... gets firmer as you dig into the peddle. Shifts quick and firm at full throttle.

Its not as snappy and crisp as my other car (buick riviera) which has higher main line pressure, blocked off accululators, and large servos. My other car slams into the next gear instantly with a tire churp...

But thats cool, I was going for a more streetable approach to this ford anyway so its perfect as is, not too hard, but not soft.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in