darrin transmission ??? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

darrin transmission ???

ok i know darrin has the best reputation around but he is also pricey and i like to do research before jumping into something as big as a transmission. so my question is who is actually using a performance built transmission and what do you think of it. please indicate how long you have been using also. ie miles or years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 08:06 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
I'm curious to see how many people chime in here. Also wondering why you say he is so pricey? Pricey compared to what a stock aamco rebuild? Lentech and others are considerably more expensive.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

pricey compared to me buying a low mileage one thats all. dont get me wrong im not saying he is expensive for what he offers. pricey is just a comparison to a low mileage unit and well a really nicely built one lol. trust me i know his is way better quality and will last longer. speaking of which im gonna need a converter within a month. your next on the list. and no your not pricey lol since i bought a pi converter and that was the biggest waste of money lol. anyways not trying to insult you or darrin. just want to hear from someone who uses his transmissions thats all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 08:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
what are they going for?
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 08:25 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Yeah, I asked him in PM if I can have a little fun.

So here goes.

To be VERY clear here, I will be poking fun so don't take it personally. Sometimes I just can't help myself.

But as previously asked, pricey as compared to whom in the performance transmission industry?

Lentech perhaps?
http://www.lentechautomatics.com/aodpricing.html

No. Thats not it.

Maybe Performance Automatic.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

No, that one only handles 450hp. And don't let them fool anyone, that's flywheel horsepower. And, it still costs more to boot.

Oh yeah, maybe Level 10.
http://www.levelten.com/store/ford/p...coln_95_up.htm

Oh heavens no. That's only their level 1!!!

Hey, what about Art Carr?
Oh wait, that's been done and you will find a long and interesting history if you search this site. Let's not go there.

TCI?
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...ct_Code=434020

Nope.

IPT?
http://www.importperformancetrans.com/fordautorwd.shtml

hmm... Who the heck is IPT anyway? Import what?? For a Ford???But no regardless.

Oh yeah, there is this place
http://www.ford-aode.com/#Level%201

That much for a stock transmission huh?

Maybe...
http://www.avengertransmissions.com/Pricing.html

BINGO!

And this must be important because it is on every single page...
"For Spanish & Portuguese ask for Ricardo"

You might also find something less expensive on ebay, but those are mostly stock or use inferior parts. No matter what they say. Alto frictions=bad.

And you might get a less expensive quote from some local transmission shops. But do the research and see who has actually gotten out the door for the quoted price. "Sorry sir, but we found out that we had to replace your keneuter valve and you wouldn't believe how hard those are to find. That will be $2850 please, we gladly accept both arms, legs and firstborns"

No offense at all meant, but I am actually not pricey if you compare apples to apples.

This was fun.

Remember, Spanish, Portugese and all other foreign languages aside, just ask for Darrin and I can help you.

And last on the "no offense" list here, no offense to our friends that speak languages other than English either. It's just that if you call me and use anything other than English I won't be able to understand you.

Again, this is all in fun. Do an honest comparison and you will see what I am saying.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 08:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

But honestly, here are just a few of my customers.

Firescout211
cougar_ricer
Marl
funktasticlucky
marvintpa
greenbird
nvmbird
whitecoug
INDY
96SOHC

And let us never forget Leland Jacobson RIP buddy.

There were also collaborative efforts on things like Maddmartigan's ride and the J.Miller car. Sort of...

There are definitely more but I am getting too old to remember who is who on screen name basis. LOL

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 08:31 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
That's great Darrin! I love what you put in Post #5! ROFLMAO

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

wow thats funny. ok ill order tomorrow lol. thanks for the convincing lol not that i needed it. you should post more often since thats some of the funniest things ive read in awhile. justin h ill pm you the price if you want but i dont think darrin wants it advertised as they may be subject to change. if thats not the case he will post the price.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 09:15 PM
PostWhore

If I were to build my car all over again, the built auto and high stall torque converter are the only things I wouldn't change. I've got a similar transmission from Alan, and can't seem to figgure out why anyone would drive one of these cars without it

Do ittt~!

Powered by:
Megasquirt EMS, Vortech Superchargers, Renegade Racing, Gator1980Transmission, Innovative Motorsports, Devil's Own, Magnaflow, Eibach, KYB, Kooks
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 12:28 AM
SuperNewbie

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to supergordo
I swapped my brothers tranny in his 97 last weekend with a 35K junkyard trans. It was $430 with tax. I also installed one of Robert P's Jmodded valve bodies $164. I Called a reputable trans shop here in Vegas who has done a couple of trannys for me, and people i know. They do good work. They wanted minimum 900 to rebuild my brothers old one. That price was for a bench rebuild( i take tranny out of car, and reinstall). Some of you may have seen the pics of the inside of the trans i took out. It looked really bad. I'm sure it needed a canuter valve AND a camshaw rinkback. So the quoted $900 would clearly been a myth if i had went that route.
For my brothers stock daily driver, a used tranny with a Jmod is plenty right now. As well he really didnt have any more money to spend than we did. As well I think Darrins artistry would have gone to waste in this instance.

That said I'm building my 94 currently, and when tranny time arrives I'm going straight to Darrin. Over the last couple of years here i've messaged him about his tranny builds, and sent some dumb newbie questions and all that. He's been super helpful. Without question the Value of what he sells in his tranny packages all done and ready to go is really exceptional. Not to mention that he understands our tbirds, Jerry's Thesis, what works and what dosent.
I cant imagine what would happen if i rolled into the trans shop i mentiond above with Jerry's Thesis and said "build me this trans". The thought of the potential price tag from them makes me shudder, and i even like that shop.
No doubt that it pays to do your homework and shop around. However it really isnt often you get the best product for the best price these days.
Thats my .02..

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 01:58 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

<-------satisfied customer

and if i just had him build one in the first place i would have saved the $1500 i wasted on a rebuild. live and learn.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 03:22 AM
4th Gear Poster

I've been reading posts about Darrin (and Alan) for years, and I have yet to find anything that would tell me either one of them is doing anything but great things in the drive train arena, and at a bargain price, to boot.

You're barely an hour south of Lonnie, and BOC sells transmissions and converters. Not sure who's doing Lonnie's rebuilds, but he's got a spotless rep, as far as I'm concerned. I've never bought anything from him (yet), but he's always answered any questions I asked him quite thoroughly. Unless you're an install-savvy guy, I'd look at having him do the whole deal. His experience and background give him a lot of credibilty in my book. His carry-out prices look good to me, too.

The options were fewer when I bought my rebuild from someone else four years ago, and I had a few problems. Some of the problems I had would have been non-problems if I'd had it installed by the same person I bought it from, I think. PM me if you want details, but suffice to say things were made right in the end, more or less. 60,000 miles in four years on the rebuild, and I don't baby it a bit.

97 LX, 4.6, Dynomax catback, Mustang MAF/intake tube and Aviator throttle body, Xcalibrator2 by Lonnie at BOC, 180 t-stat, Super Coupe wheels with 235/60/16's, Kenny Brown strut tower brace, Tokico Blues, Eibach Pro-kit, some strategically placed MN12 Performance polyurethane pieces, '02 Grand Marquis transmission

Submariners do it deeper...
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 07:36 AM
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter

Send a message via AIM to Mark M. TCCoA VP Send a message via Yahoo to Mark M. TCCoA VP
It is as simple as the old saying... You get what you pay for.

"Mark M. TCCoA VP. Emeritus"

To the Batmobile ! ! !

ADDCO MN12 big bar R&D guru
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

well im actually in la right now thats just were my parents live because i have no real address since im a constantly moving military guy. i have done more tranny installs then i care to remember so not worried about that. im ordering the tranny today so ill let you all know how great it is.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Oh yeah, How could I for get Lonnie.
I built and installed the transmissions in both his Mark VIII and his Town car.

Well... He did help a little. LOL

Darrin

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 11:11 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Marl Send a message via Yahoo to Marl
I am happy as a lark (that's pretty damned happy) with Darrin's work. And it's like his post said. He's not pricey if you compare apples to apples. Plus he's about 40 miles from where I live.

1995 4.6L XR7 Dual Guage Pod with Oil and Temp., 255/60R15 Yokohama Avid S/T's, Screamin' Demon Coil's with Live Wires, K & N, modified stock oil pressure gauge, air silencer removed, stock air box, trans and tune by Darrin, TC by Dirtydog

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver.'
Spend your money on your ride and not your girl. It'll last longer and fewer people have been in it!
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

um darrin if you built lonnies transmissions for him who builds the ones he sells to his customers. curios on that one.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

santas elves.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 03:45 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
Remember, Spanish, Portugese and all other foreign languages aside, just ask for Darrin and I can help you.

And last on the "no offense" list here, no offense to our friends that speak languages other than English either. It's just that if you call me and use anything other than English I won't be able to understand you.
Oye Darrin, mira, Estoy buscando una transmisión para mi noventa-seis thunderbird. Tengo el motor 4.6, y el problema es que ya me han cambiado la transmisión una vez anterior cuando tenia un '95. Cuanto me costaria una transmisión contigo. Solamente para uso normal, nada lujoso. Gracias!

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintme205 View Post
so my question is who is actually using a performance built transmission and what do you think of it. please indicate how long you have been using also. ie miles or years.

well, i have a trans that alan did, for the most part same as what darrin would do. i havent really had any chance to do anything with it because of a small issue in the tune that needs to be fixed first. and its just something i havent gotten to yet. ive been around here before darrin, before alan and ive seen their work on numerous ocassions and can say with 100% confidence you will not be unhappy with your decision.

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96dirtybird View Post
Oye Darrin, mira, Estoy buscando una transmisiĆ³n para mi noventa-seis thunderbird. Tengo el motor 4.6, y el problema es que ya me han cambiado la transmisiĆ³n una vez anterior cuando tenia un '95. Cuanto me costaria una transmisiĆ³n contigo. Solamente para uso normal, nada lujoso. Gracias!

Yo quiero un burrito, por favor.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected]7mph AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 06:14 PM

i have one of darrin's transmissions in my car, and it is one of the best mods (?) i've had done, right next to my TC from alan. he delivered it on his way through my town. gave me exactly what i wanted, at a great price. granted, i don't know much about transmissions, but i beat my car as hard as i can (ask my engine, it's laying on the garage floor right now) and have had zero problems. shift hard and fast, and i trust it more than any other part on the cougar. darrin also has the best customer service you will find anywhere. bar none. just buy one from him. for real.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 06:50 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina View Post
Yo quiero un burrito, por favor.
Un super burrito? Con chile y guacamole?
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
si, y queso, tomates, y pork. me gusta burritos.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 07:27 PM
PostWhore

ok dat wil bee 10 meenets, ok. Hey Darrin...1 super burrito please, order up!!! Haha, j/k

Darrin hooked it up for me in the past also w/a jmod valve body project I had going on being the newb that I am.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 09:06 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to SilverLx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
But honestly, here are just a few of my customers.

Firescout211
cougar_ricer
Marl
funktasticlucky
marvintpa
greenbird
nvmbird
whitecoug
INDY
96SOHC

And let us never forget Leland Jacobson RIP buddy.

There were also collaborative efforts on things like Maddmartigan's ride and the J.Miller car. Sort of...

There are definitely more but I am getting too old to remember who is who on screen name basis. LOL

Darrin

I bought a transmission from him. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Bird 1: 268 NPI comp cams, pi intake, P&P'd pi heads, ss autochrome headers (waste), dumped exhaust, sct tuned, alum driveshaft, 3.73 TL...Other minor crap

Bird 2: Vortech'd

Both silver, and bad.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 09:33 PM

I should have put Darrin's trans and T/C combo in before any other mod. It has been the single biggest improvement to my Mach yet, and that includes running the bottle. I would recommend his stuff to my grandma, it is that good!
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 11:38 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

But he will not sell me that extra Exploder 4.6 for $800 he has lying around. Shees!

Darrin - Alan. Check your PM's.

95 SC 5-speed The Toy in Storage now.
95 SC Auto Newest storage queen.
91 Festiva 1.3L baby 5 speed
03 Crown Vic Sport 4.6... driver
10 Flex Brick Twin Turbos
*Rodney*
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
Thread Revival I know but I couldn't pass up the chance to give Darrin some props.

bah screw the 4.6L exploder motor. I want his Mach1 4.6L he is hiding I'm a very satisfied customer as well. I bought my tranny from him when he had the GP. I got a very built tranny for less than what an Aamco would have charged me but I installed it... and didn't get everything out of the cooler lines and it killed the tranny. Darrin didn't charge me but parts and VERY CHEAP labor for him and alan rebuilding it. Then I put a DirtyDog converter in it and tuned it and I can't tell you how harsh this tranny is. If going up a hill you floor the car and let it get to 5500 RPM and then let off it completely it would still bark tires... But I wouldn't have it any other way

And I forgot he also rebuilt my mom's for a VERY VERY great price. Not much more I would say than the junkyard you picked up but again those prices don't include getting it put in or shipping as I picked them up from his place.

Darrin thank you again for all you've done.

2018 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 02:08 PM

I also bought a transmission from Darrin for our Town Car. Even having it shipped to Colorado the price was about the same as shops around here. Every time I would ask a shop about what they would replace including the roller clutch they would all say we will see when we get in to it. It has been about a year now and the trans. is still perfect. Thanks to Darrin again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in