tranny issue need help - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
SuperNewbie

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to supergordo
tranny issue need help

Two weeks ago i installed a low milage tranny in my brothers 97 bird. Everything was fine till tonight. Suddenly tonight the car became very difficult to drive. very hard to get to accelerate from a stop. when you step on the gas it bogs down. Once you get it going it drives sorta ok. We drove it on the highway. the car really was not much good in "D", but when we left it in "2" it would maintain 55mph at 4000 rpm.
Even when the car was in park when we try to rev it up it acts like the engine is under load. I cleaned the MAF, no difference.
The green "o/d" light started blinking tonight when all this came on. Otherwise the car was running nicely for over a week up till tonight. Any input i can get is appreciated.
Thanks!
Gordon

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd

Last edited by supergordo; 08-11-2007 at 01:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 12:10 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Have the trans. codes scanned??? The blinking OD light is it's way of saying "Hey, something is wrong". The only thing that comes to mind is bad or mis-alinged MLPS, but I don't know if that would cause that issue or not.

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
SuperNewbie

Garage
I got under the car to check it all out. The main connector that leads from the car to tranny harness was rather dirty. I cleaned all the contacts real well, and made sure the connector was securely fastened. Now it drives 100% better. Though the blinking trans light is still flashing. I'm assuming at this point that it still remembers the code from the eariler problem as i havent disconnected the battery.

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 06:14 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Gordon,

What year tranny did you install? Did the harness need to be repinned? Just a thought.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter

Send a message via AIM to Mark M. TCCoA VP Send a message via Yahoo to Mark M. TCCoA VP

If the blinking light has been an issue since the swap then you may indeed have something wired wrong.

"Mark M. TCCoA VP. Emeritus"

To the Batmobile ! ! !

ADDCO MN12 big bar R&D guru
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
SuperNewbie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo Joe View Post
Gordon,

What year tranny did you install? Did the harness need to be repinned? Just a thought.

Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M. TCCoA VP View Post

If the blinking light has been an issue since the swap then you may indeed have something wired wrong.
Its a 97 trans, so there was no need to repin anything. There wasnt a blinking light at all until last night. Been driving the car over a week. It only came on when the car started driving crappy.

I got under there last night and cleaned the main harness connector for the transmission real well. That seemed to solve the issue. I did notice that the wiring that is attached to the connector on the vehicle side looks a bit worn. the insulation is frayed in several places. Does anyone know if that harness for the tranny that comes from the car can easily be replaced? Is there another connector under the carpet somewhere? Or is it completly wired to the main wiring harness.

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
SuperNewbie

Garage
Here's an update for anyone interested. The car seems to run fine, but after he drives awhile and it gets warmed up the symptoms sometimes return. LEt it cool off and its fine again.

Thoughts??

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 12:11 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to wether
I am going to guess MLPS, but I would get the codes read first. If the O/D light is blinking, then it is throwing a tranny code and that will probably diagnose your problem. The other option may be a bad shift solenoid, but I don't think I quite understand what is meant by not running right? Is it missing, etc.?

Currently In the Short Bus Garage:
2 - '94 T-bird LX's 4.6L (one with 300,000+ miles and one with 200,000+ miles)
1 - '97 Mark VIII LSC - INTECH V8 (120,000+ miles)
1 - '97 F150 XLT 4x4 Flareside, 4.6L (130,000+ miles) - Currently being dismantled and rebuilt with upgrades!
1 - '00 Mustang GT (likes to accelerate with the brake on!), 4.6L (60,000+ miles - only comes out when I need to get somewhere fast.)

oh yeah, and they all have 4R70W's
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 01:21 PM
Veteran Poster

x2 on MLPS, or VSS.

------------------------- Dan Gilsdorf ---------------------------
www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
SuperNewbie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wether View Post
I am going to guess MLPS, but I would get the codes read first. If the O/D light is blinking, then it is throwing a tranny code and that will probably diagnose your problem. The other option may be a bad shift solenoid, but I don't think I quite understand what is meant by not running right? Is it missing, etc.?
As far as "not running right" goes let me describe it like this. The car was running basically perfectly. Then without any warning it started to run as if it had no power, or more accuratly like the car was under load. When the symptoms are occuring it dosent sound good revving it up even when its in park. It revs up like its in gear (but its not). Then if you take it for a drive and get it moving it feels alright until you get to needing more than 2nd gear. We drove it on the highway and at 55mph it was revving at about 4000 rpm. Then i parked it, let it cool down cleaned the wiring connector that goes to the tranny. Then suddenly it ran fine. The symptoms have returned and gone away a couple of times. It seems like it does it when the car gets warm(sometimes). When it does the check engine light, the tranny light, and the low coolant light all came on. So I'm not sure what exactly to make of it.

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 05:52 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Dude....

It gave a code with the flashing OD light. No need to have the internet guessing going on or keep messing with wiring and stuff, you have the means to actually very likely know what is wrong. Get the code scanned.

I mean, that is exactly what it's there for and it is flashing at you trying to get your attention to let you know that it knows what you need to know.

Or you can go on chasing it the hard way. I wouldn't, but it isn't up to me.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
SuperNewbie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
Dude....

It gave a code with the flashing OD light. No need to have the internet guessing going on or keep messing with wiring and stuff, you have the means to actually very likely know what is wrong. Get the code scanned.

I mean, that is exactly what it's there for and it is flashing at you trying to get your attention to let you know that it knows what you need to know.

Or you can go on chasing it the hard way. I wouldn't, but it isn't up to me.

Darrin
Sorry Darrin,
Not trying to waste anyones time. Not mine the internets or anyone on here. My last post asking a question was like 6 days ago. Wether asked what i meant by "not running right". He took the time to respond to the thread, so i followed up with more detail. Thats all.
The hard part right now is that i dont own nor drive this car. I havent touched it or worked on it since the original post. I've been trying to get my brother to go get the code read. Which is a bit harder than it might seem.
Soon as i know what codes it pulls, hopefully the solution will present itself.

Thanks to you and everyone who has offered advice or suggestions.
Gordon

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 07:58 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergordo View Post
Sorry Darrin,
Not trying to waste anyones time. Not mine the internets or anyone on here. My last post asking a question was like 6 days ago. Wether asked what i meant by "not running right". He took the time to respond to the thread, so i followed up with more detail. Thats all.
The hard part right now is that i dont own nor drive this car. I havent touched it or worked on it since the original post. I've been trying to get my brother to go get the code read. Which is a bit harder than it might seem.
Soon as i know what codes it pulls, hopefully the solution will present itself.

Thanks to you and everyone who has offered advice or suggestions.
Gordon

No, no, no..

I wasn't meaning that you were wasting anyone else's time. I meant why waste your time guessing when you have the means to an answer is all.

Did you see the movie Bruce Almighty and see the part where he was asking for a sign? This brought to mind that.

That's why I posted. LOL

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
SuperNewbie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
No, no, no..

I wasn't meaning that you were wasting anyone else's time. I meant why waste your time guessing when you have the means to an answer is all.

Did you see the movie Bruce Almighty and see the part where he was asking for a sign? This brought to mind that.

That's why I posted. LOL

Darrin
I gotcha Darrin. No worries. I wasnt freaking out on you there.

So yesterday i got my brother to get the codes read. Currently the o/d light isnt blinking. The only code it read was a camshaft position sensor...so who knows, ghosts i guess. maybe badgers..

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergordo View Post
So yesterday i got my brother to get the codes read. Currently the o/d light isnt blinking. The only code it read was a camshaft position sensor...so who knows, ghosts i guess. maybe badgers..
Nope, insufficient equipment. LOL

He went to Autozone or something like that to get it done didn't he? Either that or a generic universal coed reader like an Actron cheapie was used.

The transmission codes take a better scanner to get to.

Darrin

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
SuperNewbie

Garage
I had a feeling that might be the case. It was an autozone. I need to find a real deal scanner.

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in