Had my 4R70W rebuilt, converter won't stay locked up, and nothing is fixing it! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Question Had my 4R70W rebuilt, converter won't stay locked up, and nothing is fixing it!

I have a '95 Mark VIII with 80k miles. 2 months ago, the intermediate one-way clutch crapped out and I lost second gear. I took it to a local transmission shop that has a good reputation, has been around for a long time, and is a member of the Automatic Transmission Rebuilders' Association. They quoted $2300 for a rebuild, with a 12k-mile/1-yr warranty backed by ATRA. According to my invoice, the job included a "master rebuild kit", intermediate OWC, valve body, shift solenoids, and torque converter.

When I got it back, it shifted perfectly and felt great. However, the torque converter clutch hasn't worked right ever since. When I accelerate to 45 mph or so, it goes into lockup as usual. Then 5-10 seconds later, it unlocks for no apparent reason. It then stays unlocked until I come to a stop and go through the gears again. After 10 or so drive cycles, it eventually stops even attempting to lock the converter. At that point the PCM sets code 628 - "excessive torque converter clutch slippage". If I disconnect the battery to clear the memory, the whole cycle starts over again. I've tried it with O/D on and off, it does the same thing either way.

If I keep it at a steady 35 mph (just after it goes into 4th and locks the TC) and barely touch the gas, it'll stay locked up almost indefinitely. But as soon as I accelerate or go up the slightest hill, it unlocks and stays that way.

I took it back to the garage. The mechanic diagnosed it using a "Shaffer Shifter", which plugs into the harness and takes control of the transmission. He took me for a ride to demonstrate that it had no problems staying in lockup under manual control, and that there was no noticeable slippage.

Based on that, he said that it had to be something outside of the transmission. Which seemed like quite a coincidence, but you never know. Anyway, to make a VERY long story short, here's what has been done so far:

-PCM replaced with a OEM unit rebuilt by Cardone (same model #, same calibration code).

-The replacement PCM did the same thing but did not set any codes, so it was replaced. Didn't solve the problem, but it's back to setting code 628.

-Checked all wiring from the transmission harness to the PCM and tested the TCC solenoid.

-New Motorcraft TPS

-New Motorcraft output shaft speed sensor

...At this point, the shop began talking to a technician at ATRA. Based on his info, they went on to replace...

-Coolant temp sensor

-MAF sensor

-MLPS

...And after pretty much everything outside of the tranny was ruled out...

-Torque converter

-TC bypass clutch control valve/sleeve

Not one of these things has made the slightest bit of difference. As of today, they're pretty much out of ideas and are waiting to hear back from the ATRA guy on what to do next.

On one hand, the shop has been reasonable. They aren't trying to BS me or weasel out of fixing it, they acknowledge there's a problem, and they haven't tried to charge me another dime for anything. They wouldn't cover the PCM/MAF/TPS, but they had no problems with me buying the parts and installing them myself. And they're still trying to fix it. So I really can't justify any nasty letters or lawsuit threats.

But then again, I paid them a lot of money to make my transmission work properly. I spent more time and money replacing parts based on their advice, without any resolution. It's been TWO MONTHS and counting, I still have a broken tranny, and I want my damn car back!!

So if anyone has any ideas or advice on what to do next, I would really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Did you try replacing the converter? Could be a problem in there. I think you have ruled out just about everything else it has to be in the valvebody or converter. It's possible that it is the od band slipping not the converter. By now taking it apart should show the problem.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 11:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
2300 is a bit high for a rebuild that did not use the Mechanical Diode OWC, considering, the intermediate was replaced platform wide quite a few years back as the proper OWC spec'd by Ford.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 02:07 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

2300 did they include lube on the estimate sheet?!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

They did use the mechanical diode, and yes the torque converter was also replaced a second time.

I thought about the OD band slipping, but it also does the same thing if I turn OD off.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 08:29 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

if they can hold it locked up with their tool, it would seem that it would be some kind of electrical problem to me. like maybe they used a newer tranny and didnt wire it correctly or something.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Or maybe the computer is detecting excessive slippage and unlocking it?

I am wondering about the condition of the direct clutch seals. Or maybe the torque converter pressure regulator valve in the VB. Heck, it could be a lot of stuff really.

Too bad you don't have someone that really knows about this stuff and how to test all of it near you.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
what code is it setiing a p0628? i cant seem to find that code in my dtc index, and i found it in a gm OBDII dtc quick index and its saying its a fuel pump relay circut code

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX - SC wheels, enlarged rear sway bar, full sound system, cut mufflers, PST 1 1/8" rear bar, Eibachs, Mark 8 LCA's, Al housed 3.55 gearset, cut mufflers
2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i - BMS Stage 1, Cut Muffler
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L-Her stock DD
1984 Ford F250 6.9 IDIT - head studs in progress
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 11:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
Little too late, but instead of rebuilding a boat anchor for 2300, you should have just called a junkyard, and gotten a late model stang transmission for 400 bucks or whatever.

I just put a 40k mile 98 mark8 trans into my tbird for 300 bucks.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
i to would have not payed 2300 dollars for a transmission build, but at the same time, the junkyard unit will tend not to have any garuntees on if it will work properly

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX - SC wheels, enlarged rear sway bar, full sound system, cut mufflers, PST 1 1/8" rear bar, Eibachs, Mark 8 LCA's, Al housed 3.55 gearset, cut mufflers
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 08:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyICU View Post
i to would have not payed 2300 dollars for a transmission build, but at the same time, the junkyard unit will tend not to have any garuntees on if it will work properly
False, that depends who you deal with.

Any reputable salvage yard will put a warranty on everything they sell. I have six months unlimited mileage.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
i said garuntee's, not that it wouldnt have a warrenty, garuntee meaning you are unsure of the history of the unit so you always have that potential fr a premature failure, where as rebuilding the unit, you know it is new, and usually it will function properly for a long while

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 06:43 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ZackG Send a message via Yahoo to ZackG
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyICU View Post
i said garuntee's, not that it wouldnt have a warrenty, garuntee meaning you are unsure of the history of the unit so you always have that potential fr a premature failure, where as rebuilding the unit, you know it is new, and usually it will function properly for a long while

I always worry when i get a major automotive component from a junkyard. Luckily I have never had a bad experience yet.

97 Tbird 4.6
VT built block, fox lake PI heads
Vortech at XY psi
4.10's, KB boost a spark.
Yummy.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2147246
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 10:06 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH View Post
False, that depends who you deal with.

Any reputable salvage yard will put a warranty on everything they sell. I have six months unlimited mileage.
Just don't mention you will be replacing parts to make it fit your bird/cougar; The place I bought mine wouldn't warranty a GM tranny in a Cougar.

When you buy used parts, tell them you have whatever it comes off of.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
i cant say i have ever heard of gm having there own 4r70w

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
GM= Grand Marquis

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
o god im slow, my bad

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 12:34 AM
2nd Gear Poster

You might think this is a silly question, but, do you have led tail light, brake light bulbs?

[urlhttp://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/bettys-i-want-to-be-a-mule-progress-log-thread.329322/]My Ride[/url]
Others linked in signature there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in