Laggy 2-3 shift - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Laggy 2-3 shift

My 95 T-Bird with 180k miles is stock, and I drive the car easy. I got the car with 128k, and the 1-2 shift has always been crisp, enough to chirp 2nd when going WOT. Not sure if it already has a J-Mod?

However, when it shifts into 3rd, there is a lag afterwards, and the car is sluggish until it "settles in". This is at light throttle. I was going to change the fluid, but is that something that the J-mod would fix?

Thanks!
Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 12:21 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

If the fluid has never been changed, then that would be a good place to start, along w/ changing the filter. If you can drain the torque converter, do that too. Just try to get as much of the old fluid out as possible, and then refill with Mercon V. The crisp shift on the 1-2 could just be the 1-2 accumulator spring being broken, although some here have said the 1-2 at WOT would chirp stock. Mine never would

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 08:48 AM
5th Gear Poster

Sounds like the 1-2 spring is broken and/or the accumulator piston is wedged. A J-mod, selected replacement parts (accumulator & springs) & fresh fill with mercon will either do wonders or break it entirely.

Black '97 XR7
Magnaflow almost true duals w/ 3" rolled tips
Transgo bucking kit w/ aux cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

The original owner supposedly had the fluid changed regularly, and I changed it once.

I dont want to put J-mod parts in if it's possible it could be more harm than good! Keep the suggestions coming!

Thanks,
Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 06:24 PM
5th Gear Poster

If the fluid has been changed regularly it should be ok to change it again. J-mod parts dont usually break things. It actually increases durability when your sensible about it.

Black '97 XR7
Magnaflow almost true duals w/ 3" rolled tips
Transgo bucking kit w/ aux cooler
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 06:52 PM
5th Gear Poster

my car chips 2nd in stock form on the street
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 11:12 PM
SuperNewbie

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to supergordo
Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
The original owner supposedly had the fluid changed regularly, and I changed it once.

I dont want to put J-mod parts in if it's possible it could be more harm than good! Keep the suggestions coming!

Thanks,
Al
All the Jmod parts are Ford factory parts. I just did it to a used tranny. Works much better. Its very smooth in normal driving, and is a ton of fun when you get on it. It takes the slop out of the trans. I doubt it would cause you trouble.

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 06:33 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMags View Post
If the fluid has been changed regularly it should be ok to change it again. J-mod parts dont usually break things. It actually increases durability when your sensible about it.

Yeah, that.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Poster

I had been experiencing a hard 1-2 shift for some time. I knew for several months that I needed to change the 1-2 accum, but kept putting it off. Lately for the past week or two I started having more problems besides the 1-2 shift. Erratic 2-3 and weird OD issues. I started driving with OD off until I was at a steady high speed only.

Finally today, I did the 1-2 accum. I pumped as much fluid as would come out of the upper tranny line at the radiator then dropped pan. I removed the retaining spring and the cap fell right out along with a badly broken 1-2 accum spring. It was broken into 3 peices and two of the peices were tangled into eachother. I had a lot of trouble getting the accum piston out due to a score around the bottom edge of the bore. I cleaned the score up as good as I could and finally got the piston out with a fair amount of persistence. I reassembled with a new WIX filter and factory replacement accum and purple spring. Filled it up with 12 quarts of MerconV and all is very well. The shifts are great throughout - 1-2, 2-3, and OD. Mine does not chirp at WOT on the 1-2 but now it does give a nice solid lunge.

It seems like the bad 1-2 accum was really affecting all the shifts, not just the 1-2. Could this be true or is the new fluid really what's helping out the other shifts?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in