15K or so on trans....clutches fried or just T/C? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

15K or so on trans....clutches fried or just T/C?

I will try to keep it short, but please bear with me. I installed a PI engine and tuned it with my xcal, 2 weeks later stock trans was TOAST, OD shift took about 15 seconds and banged REAL hard. So I replaced the whole driveline and it seems SOMETHING is wrong with every piece of it now. Engine, trans, and diff, but I will post on those in the appropriate forum section.

This trans is the most depressing of it all. I am still paying back on what I have done so far, much less pay to get another trans/rebuild like I am thinking I will have to do eventually. I like things to work like they are supposed to, not half-%@^ like this.

I bought a mild Jmod trans from Darrin, and a marauder converter to go with it. When I installed it, I missed one of the harness connections. It would not shift at all. Darrin fabricated me up a manual shift box that manually controlled the solenoid, and this proved that the trans was indeed good, and it was the wiring. After plugging it back in, it shifted fine but when I got back and checked the trans fluid, it was a tad low so I put a quart in and checked again and it read good. Haven't had to add any more yet. (Yes, I checked fluid with engine running and after shifting manually through all gears)

Aside from a very harsh reverse engagement, all was fine until the 3rd day or so of finally driving it again. I heard some kind of clatter noise and pulled over, checked trans fluid - checked fine, so I chalked it up to me hearing things again (my dad thinks I'm crazy). Never heard this sound again.

I don't know exactly when it started, but around 8-10K miles I started to notice a bog like I had with the old transmission, it comes at mid speed/rpm, the bottom of third gear. Engine gets quiet, muffled, and it doesn't matter how much gas you give it, the engine struggles to keep going and it just flat out chugs. That is, untill you give it enough gas that it kicks down to 2nd, about 2/3 to 3/4 throttle and it picks right up no hesitation. About 2 weeks later, I realized I could just tap the brake, unlock the torque converter, and off I go no hesitation. I don't think it is relevant, but about 33% of the time I shift to Park, I can hear a loud "click" from the trans. This started about the same time the "bog" came about.

So today my brother was in the car, and instead of tapping the brake I just gave it more gas so he could feel/hear it. After about 2-3 seconds I started smelling something smoking, so I quickly tapped the brake and unlocked the TQ and the smell went away.

It really gets old having to tap the brake every time and I am scared to let anyone else drive it because they wouldn't understand. But its either that or I just floor it everytime, but 14mpg isn't a very practical solution. Even though I don't drive very much, the majority of my driving is in town where 30-35 mph 3rd gear situations are common. I might just start driving around town in manual 2nd!

So what gives? Anybody have any ideas about how I messed this up? I am hoping that it is just the T/C but have a feeling its something internal, but if it was internal would it not happen all the time? I mean this trans will chirp the tires on the 2-3 shift with heavy throttle. It shifts really hard even at low throttle and often times chirps on the 1-2 at slow speeds in turns, and I have a true-trac 3.73 diff. When the torque converter is unlocked, the acceleration is awesome, but when the torque converter locks, its a slug and it sickens me.

Any advice will be much appreciated...

All Glory to God!

RIP JOHNNY LANGTON

96 LX PI/Jspec Pearl White. She enjoys eating ricers for breakfast
-MODS-
2002 PI 4.6L - Jspec Trans built by Darrin - 04 Marauder converter - Hayden 679 Trans cooler - Engine cooling modification - SCT Xcal2, tuned by Lonnie - 02 GT MAF and 99 GT Intake tube - removed silencer - 255 lph HP fuel pump - Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 TL - 245/60/15 BFGoodrich Radial T/A's - PBR front brakes - SCP Rear torsional load brace - SCP Solid rubber motor, transmission mounts - Rear Strut Tower brace and Diff cover brace by Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 07:23 AM
Veteran Poster

I would talk to Darrin first before I try to publicly annoy him.
You should have his contact info.

How did you reinstall the engine / trans ? Assembled?
There could be some installation error that has caused a TC issue and that could mean pump issue as well....but first impression is the lockup modual.

you say it is awsome trans outside of when it is suppose to lockup. I would dissable the lockup and re diagnose.

------------------------- Dan Gilsdorf ---------------------------
www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 07:38 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

The transmission can't cause a "bog". It can have slippage issues, but this is obviously not the case since it gets worse with the converter locked. Don't worry, you don't need another transmission.

But for the same reasons, it also can't be the converter. The converter isn't slipping and it is locking.

But check your fluid anyway.

What you are feeling is a problem of something choking the engine. This is worsened when the torque converter locks up and creates more load. If it were me, I would start looking for a restriction in the exhaust. Probably somewhere in the vicinity of the cats.

The last time you spent a lot of time chasing your tail trying to find a problem in the wrong place and it cost a few other people a lot of time as well and created a lot of frustration for everyine involved. Like I told you then, welcome to the world of modification. Things where this much work go on at the same time often take a while to sort out and you have to have the proper skills and tools to do it. I am going to add to that and tell you that you should never continue to drive something when you have changed so much stuff and it isn't right. All that will do is cost you more money usually. Usually you end up destroying an otherwise perfectly good part.

But hey, if you are worried about the transmission then do this. Pull it and send it to me. Even though you are well out of any warranty I will go through it and if there is anything at all wrong then I will fix it for free. If there is nothing wrong then you just pay me for my time. I think that's more than fair. As you well know, I will bend over backwards to help fix a problem.

I can't do anything about the converter. That one is between you and Ford.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Darrin,

Hey I am not blaming anything you did. I am having a few problems with this project and I came here to find a solution. Only reason I mentioned that you built the transmission is because I thought it was pretty well known around here that you build good trans and that was probably not the problem. Same reason I mentioned that you went out of your way to help me figure out what I did wrong (or didn't do). I am sorry I am such a pain : (

It now makes sense, the motor is struggling to turn the torque converter, not the torque converter struggling to turn the trans. This is what I was looking for.

So thanks again for a straightforward answer. Its not the transmission, (I didn't think it was, since it is fine with t/c unlocked).

All Glory to God!

RIP JOHNNY LANGTON

96 LX PI/Jspec Pearl White. She enjoys eating ricers for breakfast
-MODS-
2002 PI 4.6L - Jspec Trans built by Darrin - 04 Marauder converter - Hayden 679 Trans cooler - Engine cooling modification - SCT Xcal2, tuned by Lonnie - 02 GT MAF and 99 GT Intake tube - removed silencer - 255 lph HP fuel pump - Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 TL - 245/60/15 BFGoodrich Radial T/A's - PBR front brakes - SCP Rear torsional load brace - SCP Solid rubber motor, transmission mounts - Rear Strut Tower brace and Diff cover brace by Rod
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Well you did kind of make a thread that pretty much asked if your problem was the trans or converter instead of just simply coming out and explaining the problem and asking for help. That plants the thought that the transmission or converter has a problem before you even get a word into it. And then when you do start reading, you very clearly say "So I replaced the whole driveline and it seems SOMETHING is wrong with every piece of it now."

There are still other problems with your car. I would help you if I could but you changed way too many things at the same time and the car is not here for me to go through.

Modification can be a real PITA and if you don't have all the proper tools and knowledge to diagnose and fix a problem then it can just flat suck.

I wish there was more I could do even after that last go round. But, the best I can do is just do as I said above and go through the transmission if you want to take it out and send it to me.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in