Overdrive switch - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
Overdrive switch

My overdrive switch started acting up the other day. I started the car and the light was on (o/d off), so I pushed the switch to turn it back on again, but the switch felt like the spring had gone a bit weak.

It happened a few times, then on Saturday I couldn't get the switch to turn the o/d on so I got hold of the switch to gently pull it back a bit, but the whole middle section of the switch button came out. I put it back in, and now it doesn't turn the o/d off at all. The button looks like it just pushes on some contacts in the shifter handle to work the o/d off function. It's not really a problem not being able to turn the o/d off, except sometimes on slight hills, or stop start driving when it would be handy.

Does it sound like the contacts have been flatenned, or am I missing a spring or something? I don't really want to have to fit a new shifter.

"...put me on a highway, show me a sign, and take it to the limit one more time"

The Eagles

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2149821

RIP Dutch T-Bird (Robert Hendriks) 1970-2012 No doubt looking down on us from his low-riding T-Bird in the sky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
Cough

"...put me on a highway, show me a sign, and take it to the limit one more time"

The Eagles

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

RIP Dutch T-Bird (Robert Hendriks) 1970-2012 No doubt looking down on us from his low-riding T-Bird in the sky.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
Is the overdrive switch is supposed to come apart?

Is there supposed to be a spring in there?

Can you buy a switch without buying a complete shifter knob (for a 1994 car)??

Would it be easier to bypass the existing switch and put a seperate one on the console somewhere?

The Eagles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 12:22 PM

The dealer sells the switch independently.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 12:29 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy625UK View Post
Is the overdrive switch is supposed to come apart?
Cough Snicker Cough

1995 Lincoln Mark VIII "Grandmas Car"
400,480 miles *STOLEN 04-13-08*

98 Mark VIII LSC

STONE
STOCK
SLOW

NO
MODS
HERE
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
Ok I kinda knew the answer to that question.

When I couldn't get it to turn the od back on again I tried gently pulling the switch out of the handle, thinking it had got stuck in the "in" position. The thing just came out with no resistance at all! When I look into the hole I can see the copper contacts. I think they may have been flattened by the mechanic that test drove it. Maybe he thought he was pushing the main shifter knob or something (???).

I was thinking of seeing if I could gently pull the contacts back into shape. I don't want to end up with the od stuck off though.

The Eagles

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 07:08 PM
2nd Gear Poster

There is a very flimsy copper contact built into a plastic case along the vertical shifter shaft. I had some issues years ago with putting it back in right after taking it apart for some work. There are only 2 wires going to it, you could run an external aftermarket switch in theory.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 07:12 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsc14 View Post
There are only 2 wires going to it, you could run an external aftermarket switch in theory.
As long as it's a Momentary (Normal Open) SP switch, should work fine.

Delete my account.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in