Tranmission issues? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Tranmission issues?

Tried looking/searching.. but with my luck with the search feature...

On my 1996 4.6L XR7, ?? on tranny since it was rebuilt/replaced.mickey moused? when i bought it (slipped in 3rd? ) by the Dealership.. (Mickey moused i think is more likely, why would a Dealership spend more $$ on something then they need)

But as of now..

it has a `slide- bump' like shift into 3rd gear. As in it would slowly go into 3rd gear and when it's about 200-300rpms away from being in 3rd it'll suddenly go into it with a `thump' so to speak

It has recently developed a `hick up' at low Rpms/throttle around 1500rpms, where you it feels as if the lockup part of the torque converter is slipping.. and you can watch the tach raise up 100-200 rpms when it does it.. almost all other times it is good.. and more throttle you use through the troubled RPM range, it's doesn't happen..

I'm hoping a service may help, but i'm not counting on it thou.. Also how do you know if you have a `deep pan' or not??

Any help would be great..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 02:53 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Eventually it just wont go into 3rd gear. Probably worn out, needs rebuild / replaced .. how many miles ??

The deep pan has the dimple on the bottom, it should have it being a 1996.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

If the shop did `rebuild' it.. then less then 20,000 miles on it... If it's the original transmission that was in the car but just mickey moused to work, then closer to 100,000miles...

If i'm replacing/rebuilding it.. i think i may just rip out my stereo and crush the car.. since the car has too many problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 11:13 AM
6th Gear Poster

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91 XR7 View Post
Tried looking/searching.. but with my luck with the search feature...
There was an upgrade to 2-3 Accumulator setup as well as the 1-2 - They may not have done it - 20K or so you need to do Fluid change anyway so it's worth a trip "in there" - I'm SURE you know where the Tech Articles are after 1500 or so posts... recent related Thread below:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=126504

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

You know i could not find that thread.. but like i've said my luck with the search feature is not so good

But yah i know where the tech articles are, even have the parts for doing a J-mod, and such printed out some place..

All and all i had the transmission serviced, where they hook up one of those machines to a oil cooler line and what comes out is forced back in, along with filter, ect, ect.. It seems to shift smoother now.. But i'm not convinced it's was the cure of the slipping in 3rd between 1200-1600rpm (even thou i haven't noticed it since?), and the slid-bump shift into third (there but 1/8th of what it was)

I know of a transmission shop local to me that is on contract with the local police for doing the work on their cars (transmission wise) and they seem to know about all the upgrades that are in the Tech article, when i asked about swapping out my '96 4R for a '99+ 4R he knew exactly why i asked (but will charge me a core charge thou for it, since he'll have to source one) But the total would be @ $2000 for that, with them doing a J-mod for me too..
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 01:00 PM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Doing it all myself by the time I updated the hard parts & new D/Dog T/C, new Cooler, new Starter, new O2's in my 96 I had about $2K in it so that would not be that bad a price as long as you are getting a good new TC included.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in