Are the 96 and 97 4R70W's the same? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Are the 96 and 97 4R70W's the same?

or were there upgrades/changes made to the 97 tranny?

Ive been trying to find out but searching hasn't yielded an answer to that question. I may need to swap a 97 tranny with a 96, but before I do wanted to rebuild and jmod the 96.

Ive been looking at the articles and trying to find the book mentioned (AODE/4R70W Service Manual - Includes Theory Of Operation And Disassembly/Reassembly) but am having trouble locating that one. Has Gage marketing been bought out now?

As for the Jmod, I'm not sure which article exactly is discussing the jmod in and of itself, because multiple articles are listed as "jerry's mod" and the pic for the separator plate hole locations seems a little unclear and small.

Basically I've been trying to dig up some info about rebuilding the transmission and what parts/kits/books I need to rebuild/mod the 96 and put it in my 97. Any help being pointed in the right direction would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 10:31 AM
4th Gear Poster

Probably not exact. Will interchange tho. Might require a repin of the connector. Seems like the 4R70W's were updated every year.

BYE2YOU
growing old is inevitable
growing up is optional
94 SC
05 PT Cruiser GT Turbo Convert
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 11:50 AM
PostWhore

I have a 97 4r70w in my 95 v8 bird, it plugged up perfectly, just had 2 shorten the DS Cuz the tranny is a longtail. It came from a police car. Oh and I had 2 do a little linkage work. I think this tranny is geared a little different at top end, it pulls good on top end! Didn't do that with 95 tranny. But I can't really find any info on interceptor trannys. And I wonder if I'm the only bird owner who's ever done this kind of swap? Lol. The only 2 things I kno that r better with a 97 4r70w is the 1-2 is improved and it has a better pan.

1995 Tbird ~ 02 explorer SVO 4.6 Sold
1986 built/restored notch body mustang ~ appears as a 91+ built 5.0 gt40p, Ud pullies, ss headers, msd everything, arp head bolts, 1.7 crane roller rockers, B303 cam, Holley carb, high rise intake,5 speed, steeda everything. Sold
2001 GT BULLITT #00762 stock
2000 GT ~ 310 rwhp on mustang dyno. 08 2v, super low miles, comp 262 cams, bbk ud pullies, ported bullitt intake/accufab TB, 24# injectors, dyno tuned, 3inch pypes catless x pipe system, cobra brakes, coated cross & drilled rotors, Cobra r hood, 99-01 cobra front bumper, & 01-04 side scoops, dropped
2003 z71 avalanche fully loaded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Internal gearing in all the 4R70W transmissions is exactly the same.

Internally there isn't any difference between the 96 and 97. If both came from the same model vehicle then it's a direct swap.

Now, the 96 may or may not have the updated accumulator pistons. But, if you are doing the j-mod anyway then just get new ones and replace them while you are in there for that.

Easy swap with a transmission that is most likely identical.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 12:07 PM
PostWhore

I have a "late" 97' tranny out of a mustang in my 96' bird. I was able to use my stock DS. Another thing that I liked about my tranny is that is has the F7 case.

pics of my car
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...ght=train+yard

Updated 10/14/11
3800 Dirty Dog installed and drag radials
13.0 @ 106.5 1.79 60ft
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 12:23 PM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

"Ive been looking at the articles and trying to find the book mentioned (AODE/4R70W Service Manual - Includes Theory Of Operation And Disassembly/Reassembly) but am having trouble locating that one."

- I never found that one either - I went with a year specific Ford manual for the whole car off Ebay for about $40 - The ATSG's you see everywhere for $25 or so are pretty darn THIN on detail IMO so spend a little more than that - Personally other than the Manual & your new Cooler I want NO Tranny parts off Ebay.

"As for the Jmod, I'm not sure which article exactly is discussing the jmod in and of itself, because multiple articles are listed as "jerry's mod" and the pic for the separator plate hole locations seems a little unclear and small"

- If you use all 3 or so of those Articles in conjunction PLUS the more current UPDATED info & PARTS available on this site from people who know what they are talking about it all comes together for you.

"Basically I've been trying to dig up some info about rebuilding the transmission and what parts/kits/books I need to rebuild/mod the 96 and put it in my 97. Any help being pointed in the right direction would be appreciated."

- I just updated my 96 with the help of all the great guys here so TCCOA HAS the Technology - But YEAH it will take you some time to "absorb" it all I can assure you that~!

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...

Last edited by BUCK; 01-11-2010 at 12:29 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

1.) which new cooler are you talking about? I do have both the service manual and the EVTM, I thought the other books touched on stuff not mentioned in the service manual or were more specific to a rebuild than the FSM which would basically just tell you how to dis/assemble the tranny and diagnosis.

2.) which 3 articles? and where is the info on updated parts and stuff? Searchign turns up a lot of stuff, it's hard to determine which is the right info to follow.

3.) again, this is more to do with which specific parts/kits should be used, as there are multiple available, and inexperienced as I am with the specifics, I'm not sure which kits or parts would be the best ones to use.

I think my 97 tranny is slipping or something, I decided to see if the parts car would drive, and lo and behold, it does. The ass drags on the ground but it drives. While I was out on the drive down my street, it seems the 96 tranny is more responsive, or seems to have a little more "grip" so to speak.

Now I def. notice a slightly slower response from the pedal to the wheels in my 97, so I think I could rebuild the 96 trans to a much better spec.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 10:51 PM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

1) New Tranny Cooler a good idea after rebuild, many Threads on that - I used Ford Service Manual that covered assy, etc, w/no probs.

2)Yeah I know what you mean, all the Articles are good but none perfect - I literally printed them all out in color & Jerry's Epistle & tippy-toed thru the JMOD using them all simultaneously - There are a couple TCCOA Articles on Jmod plus one that BlackIceLSC did here & God knows how many others:

http://www.cardomain.com/id/BlackIceLSC

3) Certainly converse / PM one of the true gurus here, Dirty Dog, Darrin, RobertP, etc... as each application would call for some parts tweaks here & there - Things like the newer Teflon Accumulators & some of the Sonnax upgraded parts or even any mention of a newer than 2000 VB are'nt in Jerry's Article (it was obviously done a few years ago) ... Keep in mind too that all the Servos & Electrics don;t come in O/H Kit so... those guys can let you know if you'd be best advised to use a certain style part for your "plans" & they can order them for you, including TC of course.

4) I'm real happy how my 96 turned out but I'm just running stock motor - I personally would have to go thru the Tranny internals thoroughly before I went thru the "fun" of putting one in~!

5) - Review Jerry's Article again & below to double check how 97 compares to 96 but I think Darrin is correct:

http://www.p71interceptor.com/

- Possibly between the 2 is one great Tranny w/few Hard Part Costs - Good luck...

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...

Last edited by BUCK; 01-12-2010 at 10:56 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

sweet, gonna check those out right now, and probably go print crazy lol.

A cooler would def be a part of the rebuild, and I have no issues with installing one of those. I've read the posts,plus that is a fairly easy thing to do anyway.

the 96 def. feels like a more solid tranny, and doesn't shudder like a cheap motel bed with magic fingers. I will have to see though how my money situation is in the spring, hopefully I will be able to spend a few hundred to git'r dun.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 08:28 AM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

As Ontario is a tad colder most would say you'd need an inline Temp control Valve for an Air to Fluid Cooler so if you are just "cruising" mostly you may just want to Flush your Radiator Tranny Cooler thoroughly & stay with that setup in your Climate if budget is tight~!

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

putting a cooler in isn't so much a problem. I can acquire small things here and there and hold on to it until I can put it all together....however I am jobless at the moment.

also, being that my car was rebuilt, the rad is fairly new. I think it was only rebuilt about 4 years ago.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 09:01 AM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

It's not flushing the whole Rad, just the Driver Side vertical end of Rad to get any contaminants the 97 Tranny left on it's way out before "new" Tranny sees them - You can see the Tranny Cooler Lines at top & Bottom of Rad Driver side inboard of Battery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in