95 trans shudder? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

95 trans shudder?

Ok, I've gone thru a ton of transmission threads and I'm still not completely sure. My 95 does do the slight shudder or more like a vibration when shifting from 3rd to 4th under light throttle sometimes. But when I accelerate under light throttle when it's in 3rd, it's more like a jerking/shudder but does not slip and the rpm's are steady. The more gas I give it when it does this, it quits doing it. It's not throwing any codes and the od light isn't flashing either so I know the engine isn't cutting out. The trans doesn't slip in any gear at all and shifts good. I had the trans serviced two months ago and was told everything looked good inside, no sludge or shavings in the pan, the fluid was not burned and was still red but the guy put dexron III back in it. It was fine up until a couple of weeks ago so I just drained it again, including the convertor and put Mercon V in it and it's still doing it. So do I need a convertor now?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

First off - I'm not a transmission guy.

Secondly - if DirtyDog or one of the other tranny gurus pipes up, ignore what I say.

BUT - I'd try a bottle of Lucas auto tranny "honey" before I worried too much.

It took care of the shudders back in 2003 on my 2000 Malibu, it helped get my wife's 1991 Cougar back on the road after sitting for over a year, and it sure can't hurt much.

RwP
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
There's your problem. DO NOT PUT DEXTRON III in these transmissions.

He should have used Mercon V to begin with. I'm glad to see you caught this and made the switch.

Sounds like Torque converter shudder - a common problem in these cars. Yea, it probably wouldn't hurt to replace the Torque converter. The accumulators and the valve body in the 95 are an older design that have problems of their own. I'd recommend replacing the accumulators, springs and upgrading the valve body as well as the Torque converter. These changes will breath new life into these old transmissions.

Contact any of these members for ready to go kits.

Alan at www.Dirtydogperformance.com

RobertP at www.robstireandauto.com - My perferred supplier!

Darrin at http://bc-automotive.com

Lonnie at www.blueovalchips.com

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I was thinking about doing all that but I'm trying to decide if I want to spend that much money on a trans with 170,000 miles on it or go ahead and get a new trans since I will be upgrading the motor eventually. Or, get a used one from a 96/97 tbird for $350.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
There's your problem. DO NOT PUT DEXTRON III in these transmissions.

He should have used Mercon V to begin with. I'm glad to see you caught this and made the switch.

Sounds like Torque converter shudder - a common problem in these cars. Yea, it probably wouldn't hurt to replace the Torque converter. The accumulators and the valve body in the 95 are an older design that have problems of their own. I'd recommend replacing the accumulators, springs and upgrading the valve body as well as the Torque converter. These changes will breath new life into these old transmissions.

Contact any of these members for ready to go kits.

Alan at www.Dirtydogperformance.com

RobertP at www.robstireandauto.com - My perferred supplier!

Darrin at http://bc-automotive.com

Lonnie at www.blueovalchips.com
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I found a 96 tbird trans with 50,000 miles on it for $350. I'm thinking of going with that for now for cost. The 96/97 trans have the upgraded valve body and accumulators right? Also, if I go with the 96 then do I just swap the solenoids inside the trans and that's it or do I have to repin the harness? I'm trying to explore all my options.

Thanks
Mike
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

A 97 transmission should have the updated accumulators in it. A 96 can be hit or miss.

But accumulators are not that expensive in all honesty. I would be more concerned about getting the good "F7" transmission case and a better valve body.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
A 97 transmission should have the updated accumulators in it. A 96 can be hit or miss.

But accumulators are not that expensive in all honesty. I would be more concerned about getting the good "F7" transmission case and a better valve body.

Darrin
So is the 96 the better valve body? Also, would 96 and 97 be the same or would a 97 be better? I can also get a 97 with 34,000 miles on it for $500 and it's a lot closer to me.

Mike
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

So is a 97 the "F7" case and better valve body?

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post

Darrin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in