Well my transmission committed suicide today... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Black_Cat
Well my transmission committed suicide today...

On my way home from dropping off some car parts and the tranny starts mal-functioning/delayed shifts....soon enough through the 55 zone i hear little pieces of metal having a free-for-all inside my bell housing, it got worse but I was able to get home doing 2k rpm @ 15 mph....well at least I have an excuse to start my T-45 swap

2011 BMW X5 35i Premium Package
2009 BMW 535i ///M Sport Package
2008 BMW 535i Premium Sport Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I love those excuses. I'm waiting for an excuse for an aluminum block and a T-45 right now.

Needs more stall.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
haha yea they are nice, but It's going to be a pita to get that T-45 in there with all the mods required....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 09:54 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
With us driving, I don't think you can call that Suicide, lol.

Malicious Homicide, maybe...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 10:10 PM
PostWhore

Garage
XD glad mine didn't go that hard. T/C just locks up on idle and stalls the engine. either that or the main clutches. sure wish i could get my hands on a t45. they should have shipped these cars with them as an option -_- big mistake on fords part.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Quote:
Originally Posted by nall_one View Post
XD glad mine didn't go that hard. T/C just locks up on idle and stalls the engine. either that or the main clutches. sure wish i could get my hands on a t45. they should have shipped these cars with them as an option -_- big mistake on fords part.
I don't think ford could have chosen a better transmission for this car then the one they did, ovnce refined it is a really good unit. Manual transmissions are fun, but they are more driver sensitive. If I wanted to I could break a brand new manual within a couple days. To ford that is called liability. The auto isn't so sensitive and can be just as much fun to drive with a good stall and the correct calibration.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 02:36 PM
PostWhore

Garage
dont get me wrong, i enjoy the 4r70w much better then my old AOD, but i would much rather have direct control with a manual. to each his own "shrug".
im very surprised at how long these things actually last, mine is still going i suppose, as long as i give it about 3k RPM when i drop it in gear :P.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 02:44 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Well seeing as I just picked up my 91 Sport 5.0 with AOD tranny up out of the shop I can feel your pain.I just paid $1521.86 to have it rebuilt on a car I paid 1k for.I owned it for 1 wk before the tranny went out.

91 Sport 5.0 T-Bird
74 Howell EFI Injected Bronco
73 5.0 MAF Bronco Tube Buggy
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g View Post
I don't think ford could have chosen a better transmission for this car then the one they did, ovnce refined it is a really good unit. Manual transmissions are fun, but they are more driver sensitive. If I wanted to I could break a brand new manual within a couple days. To ford that is called liability. The auto isn't so sensitive and can be just as much fun to drive with a good stall and the correct calibration.
Alan
Not to mention The vast majority of the people buying these cars new weren't exactly the type that enjoys banging through gears.

-Matt
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 12:42 PM
6th Gear Poster

& I'm not ready to call this a suicide... MIGHTY suspicious looking stuff here:

Car: 1995 Cougar XR-7
Engine: 4.6L V8 2V

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Boy way to get stereotypical lol.
I didn't beat it that bad, I always checked it regularly. I never did any stupid crazy stuff with it. Mostly lack of regular maintenance and fluid flushes....it was rebuilt once but my parents usually go for the cheapest price, not the best fix. So I would say that was the cause.

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCK View Post
& I'm not ready to call this a suicide... MIGHTY suspicious looking stuff here:

Car: 1995 Cougar XR-7
Engine: 4.6L V8 2V
What, Virginia?
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 01:35 PM
6th Gear Poster

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by '95Cougar_XR-7 View Post
Boy way to get stereotypical lol.....it was rebuilt once but my parents usually go for the cheapest price, not the best fix. So I would say that was the cause.
TYPICAL teenager... all Mom & Dads fault - Hell I tore mine up at 54 but at least I stood up & took the rap~!

& it's VAHHHHH Beach.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCK View Post
TYPICAL teenager...
In other words, "Get off mah lawn, you darn kids!"

Believe it or not, not all teenagers are idiots that break things.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I tore up a couple of my parent's vehicles when I was 18. Mom's fault, totally.....

And true, not all kids tear stuff up... I just don't know many...
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemare View Post
In other words, "Get off mah lawn, you darn kids!"

Believe it or not, not all teenagers are idiots that break things.
Thank's Nitemare. I'd prefer not to be called a "kid" that was 5 years ago. Some adults don't abuse their things, like me. I won't say I've never gunned it a few times, but I take great care of my car and it's components. I didn't make this post to discuss the difference between kids, teenagers, or adults. It's for discussing transmissions. So pass the immaturity and move on....

I'm dropping my transmission in the next few days and I'm going to have a peek inside to see what exactly came loose and started tearing things up. Currently looking at a TR-3650 to go in my 4R70W's place. Now to find one for a decent price that won't break the bank.

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Converter Guy

People kill me wanting to do a manual transmission on a budget. Go buy a late model 4r70w, convert it to you application, put a better converter in it and it will be faster than a 5spd and just as fun t drive.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I don't think Ford could have chosen a better transmission for this car then the one they did, once refined it is a really good unit. Manual transmissions are fun, but they are more driver sensitive. If I wanted to I could break a brand new manual within a couple days. To Ford that is called liability. The auto isn't so sensitive and can be just as much fun to drive with a good stall and the correct calibration.
Alan

Quote:
haha yea they are nice, but It's going to be a pita to get that T-45 in there with all the mods required....
Then get a properly built 4R70W and a decent TC and be done with it. You will spend more and need more work to do a T-45 swap.

Quote:
Boy way to get stereotypical lol.
I didn't beat it that bad, I always checked it regularly. I never did any stupid crazy stuff with it. Mostly lack of regular maintenance and fluid flushes....it was rebuilt once but my parents usually go for the cheapest price, not the best fix. So I would say that was the cause.
Do you realize how contradictory that statement is?

Quote:
... Some adults don't abuse their things, like me. I won't say I've never gunned it a few times, but I take great care of my car and it's components ...

I'm dropping my transmission in the next few days and I'm going to have a peek inside to see what exactly came loose and started tearing things up. Currently looking at a TR-3650 to go in my 4R70W's place. Now to find one for a decent price that won't break the bank.
Quote:
... goodbye 4R70W i'm yanking that puppy and putting something else in....on my parents dime lol.
I'd have to say, it sounds more like your parents take the "great care of [your] car and its components". If you're not putting the money into the car then it isn't really even yours - not that this is a bad thing - just don't take your parents for granted. They do the best for you that they can.

Quote:
People kill me wanting to do a manual transmission on a budget. Go buy a late model 4r70w, convert it to you application, put a better converter in it and it will be faster than a 5spd and just as fun to drive.
Alan
Once again ...

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 02-16-2010 at 08:46 PM.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Converter Guy

Just so everyone knows. I beat my vehicles like an ugly redheaded step child, I expect breakage and sometimes remain surprised at how long certain things take what I do. Not that it really matters because I know who is going to be fixing my car and who is going to be paying for it....ME!
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 10:34 PM
PostWhore

I agree Dirty Dog, excellent choice. Growing up when autos had 2 or 3 speeds and manuals 3 or 4, and overdrive being something you saw in a 51 Ford ... the guys these days don't really appreciate a good automatic ... with OD ... and a lock up TC no less!

Manual is fun at times, but I often grew tired of them sitting in hours long lines leading into or out of a speedway or in city driving. Man, that '65 GTO or '69 Dart 340 Swinger or the '67 Chevelle SS were fun cars then, but when I think how much better it would have been to have a firm shifting 4 spd auto with OD to ease the RPM with those 4.10s, 3.73s or 3.91s ... I'ld have jumped on it. As it was, Muncie or New Process 4 spds had 4 gears, closer ratios, and 1:1 high.

Never busted a rear gear or spit a driveshaft with new U-joints with an auto, tore up enough stuff with the 4 spds though ... sometimes it was the clutch itself or a busted synchro ring after a fast 2-3 shift, etc. What's really cool is seeing a flywheel explode and tear damn near evertything off the firewall. I even converted the Dart in '73 using an A-727 trans from a '72 Duster 340. Sold the 4 spd parts to some guy.

And even a 21 year old tires of rowing gears through town with his main co-pilot sitting close.

Year, manuals .... never miss them when power is at hand. 5 Spd is OK on a bike or in the Forester ...

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Ron by "taking care of my car" and "lack of fluid flushes, etc." I meant that I take care of my car regularly....my parents only had the fluid flushed / transmission checked ONCE in the entire car's life lol understand now?

I'm a very very stubborn person, if I want something done enough, I'll do it reguardless of cost. It's like trying to bend a concrete column with your bare hands

So 5 speed or nothing!

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Converter Guy

That makes absolutely no sense. 5spd or nothing....I'll give you $200 for the car that way it won't have to sit in your driveway and rot for a few years.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 07:03 PM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Quote:
That makes absolutely no sense. 5spd or nothing....I'll give you $200 for the car that way it won't have to sit in your driveway and rot for a few years.Alan
I'll raise that to $300 but it has to stay ON Dirty Dogs LAWN~!

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I bid $400 and I'll pick it up.....
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:27 PM
6th Gear Poster

Exclamation get it "OFF MY LAWN~!"

TOO LATE - his Dad just called me & offered to PAY me $100 to " GET IT OFF MY LAWN~!"

post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:43 PM
PostWhore

mod needs to change this to a for sale thread

O&E Speed Shop - 2333 Aberdeen St. Kenner, LA
EFI Calibrator - decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
http://www.efidynotuning.com/tune.htm
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 10:00 PM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by decipha View Post
mod needs to change this to a for sale thread
Wrong - Mod needs to move to Stick Transmission Swaps

post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
I'll believe it when it happens. Stick swaps around here are like DOHC swaps only 1 out of every 10 people who say they are going to do it actually accomplish the task.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Well for now i'm grabbing a Mark VIII 4r70w with upgrades already on it for $100 just to get back on the road. and an aluminum driveshaft. Some guy beat me to the DOHC 4.6 attached to the tranny

post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 07:48 PM
6th Gear Poster

fail on the 5 speed swap. looks like chris murder was right

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in