4R70 in an early Mustang - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

4R70 in an early Mustang

We have some pretty smart peoples in this club so I thought I would ask.

We have a 1966 289 Mustang. Would like to install a 4R70 in it. Anyone have any ideas about the computer controls on this since it is a carb car?

I was thinking that we could stripe out all the engine controls and run the stock computer for just the tranny.

Ideas?

95 SC 5-speed The Toy in Storage now.
95 SC Auto Newest storage queen.
91 Festiva 1.3L baby 5 speed
03 Crown Vic Sport 4.6... driver
10 Flex Brick Twin Turbos
*Rodney*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 05:31 PM

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown View Post
I was thinking that we could stripe out all the engine controls and run the stock computer for just the tranny.
You're not going to be able to run any kind of factory computer to control the trans. The stock computer needs input from almost every sensor to calculate the proper shift points and line pressures for the trans. The most important are load (from the MAF or MAP) and throttle position (from the TPS), but the final timing calculations are also tied in with the transmission functions, and those are dependant upon coolant temperature, air charge temperature, oxygen sensor feedback, and RPM, among other things. You can turn off the auto trans function in a factory computer, but you can't turn off the EFI function.

Your best bet is the Baumann TCS (linked above) or something similar.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I would much rather use a Compushift unit. Yes, I know, it costs a lot more. But, you get what you pay for and that comes complete with a lack of issues.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 06:09 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
$1280 vs. $400.... I can live with some issues for $800.

IMHO it probably depends on the application. If you just need something simple for OD in a daily driver or weekend cruiser the Baumannator TCS would probably be fine. If you need something for racing, very high performance, etc., the Compushift would probably be recommended.

But that is just my .02.

I've heard great things about the TCS and I've heard some bad things (all dependant on the application). I don't know anything about the Compushift.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 06:27 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Lets clarify that a little more. On the Compushift you get everything you need for the one price. With the TCS you only get the controller for that price.

The issues we have seen have been transmission burning ones when they happen and it hasn't been only the racing or high performance cars that have had the problems.

As a matter of fact I have been given a couple of the TCS units because they pissed the former owners off so much.

I agree that it is hit and miss on how they work for people and I don't know why. It would be a great product for a low powered daily driver situation if you knew it would work before it destroyed your transmission.

I am not one to take that kind of gamble, but that's just me.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 04:20 PM

pics of mustang or it's unpossible
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 10:27 AM
PostWhore

Three notes on the TCS just incase people purchase them.

1) Make sure your 0% Throttle value in the TCS software is far enough below the point where the throttle is physically closed so that it doesn't fall into negative values. Unlike factory computers, the 0%tps threshold will not ratchet down to it's lowest seen value.

2) Line pressure for low throttle needs to be a decent amount higher than the values in the "Premade tunes" they send you... I tried to start with one, and build upon it, and the transmission didn't feel right...

3) Make sure your SPEED in the TCS software is accurately adjusted. Test it with another car or two. This is very important, and will make life easier on you.

In my personal opinion, the TCS is NOT a good alternative, but it is a working solution that is neccessary in certain cases. Just like with tuning a motor, care and precision is manditory to make sure things hold togeather.