Needing Expert Tranny Help! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Needing Expert Tranny Help!

Ok, I got a 1999 Expedition 4R70W given to me that doesn't work. I have a 1994 Mark VIII 4R70W that I'm buying. My plans are fix up the old tranny with the recommended parts from the newer tranny like valve body, mechanical diode, deep pan, etc. Also do the j-mod while in there. I know this is all subjective and I could just rebuild the tranny with all new parts, but I'm just looking for what you all would do.

My questions? What should I replace? I haven't even taken apart the 1999 tranny, so I don't even know what went bad yet. Oh, and the Expedition was a 4 wheel drive, the Mark VIII isn't ; the tranny will be going in a 1995 Bird. I know some parts cannot be used...

Can I use the valve body from '99?
Can I use the mechanical diode from '99?
Are the gear sets heavy-duty in the '99 truck tranny? Can/should I use them?
What parts should I buy new and replace while I'm there?
What else should I do?

Thank you all!
-Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
1, yes it will match the case
2, definately
3,possibly I would use them over the 95 parts anyway.
4, EPC and lockup solenoids
5, new filter, swap shafts and housings, depends on how comfortable you are with modifying the stacks.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g View Post
1, yes it will match the case
2, definately
3,possibly I would use them over the 95 parts anyway.
4, EPC and lockup solenoids
5, new filter, swap shafts and housings, depends on how comfortable you are with modifying the stacks.
Alan
Thank you Alan!
Umm, what are stacks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Converter Guy

The clutch plate stacks. With very little effort you can remove the waveplate from the forward then add one friction and steel. It will make a harsh engagement. The direct you can add one friction and steel by either using a steel as the pressure plate or machining the pressure plate. DO NOT remove the forward pressure plate for any reason, the direct is ok under low power use.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Oh, ok. I've never taken an automatic apart that far so I haven't done that before. I have rebuilt the clutch packs (stacks?) on a motorcycle I had once and it had multiple clutch and steel discs. Is that similiar?

I'd be willing to attempt it, sure! How else am I supposed to learn? lol
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Converter Guy

I have never worked on a motorcycle clutch to know.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 09:18 PM
6th Gear Poster

Question

I defer to Alan's expertise here of course & I'm a damned HAPPY Client of Alan's to boot but I fail to see what purpose whatsoever spending a single DIME on a 94 Mk Tranny serves here - Certainly that year case is one click off pure crap & even the 2WD components there are not the best... right? - Am I missing something Alan?

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...

Last edited by BUCK; 03-09-2010 at 09:24 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

e4od

Well, I just picked up the transmission today from the Expedition. This whole discussion is moot unless there is something I can use from an E4OD tranny. The Expedition turned out to be a 1998 5.4L with an E4OD.

So can I use ANYTHING out of this tranny? If not, it belonged to a woman in town that never beat on it, so whatever is wrong with it can't be too destroyed that it's not feasible to repair. Maybe I'll just fix it and sell it. Right now it's in my shed with torque converter and it is complete. I'll pull the pan off it in the next couple days and see what I can find out...

What do y'all think?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Converter Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCK View Post
I defer to Alan's expertise here of course & I'm a damned HAPPY Client of Alan's to boot but I fail to see what purpose whatsoever spending a single DIME on a 94 Mk Tranny serves here - Certainly that year case is one click off pure crap & even the 2WD components there are not the best... right? - Am I missing something Alan?
The only components I save from a 94 are the lever, output shaft, extension housing and if it is in good shape the direct drum. Some other small parts can be useable as well, but not much. The forward drums are useful if you need one but they rarely go bad.

I can't think of any parts inside the e4od transmission that will work in a 4r70w. The converter when disasebled the pump, turbine and stator are identical however the turbine hub lockup piston and front cover are completely different.
e4od transmissions are usually much more expensive than 4r70w's
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in