2 - 3 shift sticks - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
2 - 3 shift sticks

I did a J Mod a couple years ago on my 94 Cougar and the tranny runs like a dream. I wish my 88 Mark VII had this tranny. Anyway...

Now the tranny is not shifting into 3rd sometimes. You have to put it into neutral and back to drive to get it to go into gear. I am susspecting the 2-3 accumulator is sticking because I do not have the spring in there (per suggestion of a member on this board).

Any other ideas before I start ripping into the valve body to add the spring I never put in?

1995 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 200k!
1994 Mercoury Cougar XR7 - 150k and still going.

I've had too many other cars to mention...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Doesnt shift into 3rd sometimes ?? What does it do when it does not shift, go into neutral ? Or just not shift into 3rd at all and stay in 2nd a?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTbird1994 View Post
Doesnt shift into 3rd sometimes ?? What does it do when it does not shift, go into neutral ? Or just not shift into 3rd at all and stay in 2nd a?
Stays in 2nd until the shifter is moved into neutral and back to Drive. My wife drove home one time in 2nd at about 35mph for about 5 miles. She was not happy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 09:37 AM
6th Gear Poster

Exclamation

I'm WAY more suspicious of a failure in one of the small Valves within the Main VB than lack of 2-3 Accum Spring... POSSIBLE MLPS here too but of course it's almost ALWAYS a possibility.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Veteran Poster

i agree with buck

------------------------- Dan Gilsdorf ---------------------------
www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 11:23 AM
6th Gear Poster

Lightbulb

On this Subject I TOO have concerns with the way a 2001+ VB lacking the small round reinforcing Plate under the 2-3 Accumulator "LOOKS" when mated with a 2-3 Accumulator & NO bottom Spring - Although personally I feel the 2001 VB needs the small plate backfitted to it so if you did that my concerns are addressed - But 2000 & older VB has the small Plate so no prob IMO - BTW I went with the dude 4 Ringed Teflon 2-3 piston fm D/Dog.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCK View Post
I'm WAY more suspicious of a failure in one of the small Valves within the Main VB than lack of 2-3 Accum Spring... POSSIBLE MLPS here too but of course it's almost ALWAYS a possibility.
When I have the valve body open, what would I look for? I went ahead and ordered the spring.

Any ideas?

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 08:27 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by white lincoln View Post
When I have the valve body open, what would I look for? I went ahead and ordered the spring.

Any ideas?
Could this be an external MLPS problem?

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 09:13 AM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Quote:
When I have the valve body open, what would I look for? I went ahead and ordered the spring - Any ideas?
My guess is 2-3 Spring will not fix anything - Check for wear on any of the teeny components in VB - There are well documented cases of such - I'd take each one apart one at a time - Magnifying Glass, Tweezers & teeny Screwdrivers come in handy - If Bores are shot I'd do a VB upgrade to a 99 or 2000 - Sonnax site has some nice Tech brochures about VB trouble areas & our Vendors can order parts for you:

http://www.sonnax.com/index.php

& yeah I said check MLPS 5 Posts ago.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 07:01 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:

Any ideas?
Did you replace the old aluminum accumulator piston with the new bonded style? If so, did you make sure the accumulator bore was completely smooth? If no to either or both of those then that is definitely where I would start. If so then I would start looking at the valve body.

Just an FYI for future reference. The spring has exactly nothing to do with keeping the accumulator in the bore. I don't know where that rumor started but it wasn't by anyone that honestly knows much of anything. LOL

Out of the hundreds upon hundreds of these transmissions that I have built wihout a 2-3 accumulator spring and using the awesomely designed factory bonded accumulator piston, I have had exactly 0 of them ever have any problem in that area at all. To quote those awful Geiko ads, on this part, It's so easy a caveman can do it.

It also doesn't matter if you have the old or new style valve body as long as you use the correct accumulator cap. But, even if you did happen to replace the old accumulator piston and leave the old cap in, it still can't get crooked in the bore. The geometry absolutely prevents it because the piston cannot travel far enough to get crooked so that it could hang up.

Now, if you used to have the aluminum accumulator piston in place and replaced it without cleaning up the bore if the bore was damaged... Whole other ballgame. That would be a good cause for failure since that will cause damage to the new piston eventually and cause it to hang in the bore.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 07:03 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCK View Post
& yeah I said check MLPS 5 Posts ago.
You mean he hasn't done that already?

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I have 3 of the MLPS' in my scarp box. Last one was replaced in 2005 and I adjusted it in 2008. I will look at it again, but I am going to put the spring in (why not, I paid $13 for it!) and inspect the 2-3 shift valve, and a couple of the other 2-3 valve areas in the valve body.

Thanks guys for all your help. Maybe its time to start looking seriously at that 2000 Lincoln LS down the street...

BTW: I was looking at this page for some ideas as well...

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

...oh, and another thing... if you try to look up MLPS under Autozone, there is no such thing. I know we have had this argument before, but they call it and so does the Ford Service CD (not the Ford service manual book) call the MLPS a Neutral Safety Switch.

Last edited by white lincoln; 03-22-2010 at 10:55 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Yes indeed, one has to set aside their desire to adhere to facts when they go to the aftermarket to order an MLPS. They can also be called a TRS (transmission range sensor), but asking for a neutral safety switch will usually get you what you need.

Darrin

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I got it all back together and outside of a doing a fluid check, it is running much smoother. As you may know, I have a Town Car as well and now the Cougar shifts like the Town Car. Smooth with no jerks. I looked at the valve body and decided that if it has that much problem of a warn 2-3 valve, I might as well get another valve body at that point. So I put it all back together and took if for a spin. I went through all the gears with no problems and I was impressed at how much smoother the car shifts now. For the life of me I can't see why leaving out the 2-3 spring is worth it. I'd rather have a smooth shifting tranny than one that has 'the snap', so to speak. Anyway, mom will be happier and hopefully the car doesn't act up down the road. If so, I will mess with the MLPS, maybe just get another one. They seem to crap out easily. Maybe I should get one from Ford this time instead.

Anyway, I added the dual exhaust from a V8 Cougar. Looks nice and the car is a little quieter now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in