output shaft question? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

output shaft question?

I have been trying to track down why my speedometer isn't working after my transmission swap. P0500 code is thrown. I finallly did what I should have done from the beginning and put my finger in the VSS hole.... no grooves. It is smooth. If I reach toward the front of the trans, I can feel some grooves. They just don't line up with the hole. Is something messed up or did I get the wrong transmission or output shaft?

This is the specs of the trans as it was explained to me before purchasing.
from an 01 mustang (as i have been told). I think I have some pictures of the transmission prior to install if that would be helpful.

"This trans has extra clutches in the forward and direct clutch. The Seperator plate was drilled to 300-450hp. It has the '95 style TCC solenoid on it,so to use it on a '96-up you must change the solenoid out with a '96-up part,or you'll fry the TCC driver in your EEC. It has the forced lube mod on the tailshaft."
"8 tooth output shaft and forced lube tailshaft....also a Marauder converter worked over for more stall (around 3000) by Circle D Specialties."

Thanks

Seth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Well, since I am waiting for a reply. Here are the pictures.

and yes.. i replaced the broken part.

thanks

seth
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 04:28 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Sounds liek you got an 03+ transmission and it doesn't have teeth on the output shaft, Take it out, tear it down, Install your old transmissions output shaft and put it back in. If that isn't it you have a bad VSS or bad connection.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

how difficult is that? I don't have any experience in transmissions. It was a monumental task for me just to install it in the first place. Any reason it would feel like there are teeth just in front of the hole for the vss? Is it possible this was just a mistake? or do you think it is more likely i got the wrong transmission and none of the other components are correct either. As far as i can tell the vss is the only problem. i think the other goofy things that are going on are related to the vss. (strange shifting, TC not sure exactly when to lock up, and of course no speedometer).

thanks again
Seth
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Converter Guy

You will probably need someone else to do it. What part of missouri are you in?
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Cheap try is get a new VSS, they are only $20 if it works will save alot of heartache.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Converter Guy

He said he didn't feel any teeth on the shaft, that is a bad sign.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

i also tried the vss from the old transmission, which i knew worked. I also spun the vss with a drill and it put out signal. I don't think that is the problem.

I am in Springfield, Mo.
Should i attempt to take the old transmission apart and get the output shaft out? (i.e. Do I need specialty tools that I would never use again?) I have a ford manual as a reference. I'm not sure if that would help me any or not. If I were capable of taking the old output shaft out, i would think it would save in labor costs overall.

seth

Last edited by [email protected]=iii=<|; 03-31-2010 at 11:12 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Seth, I'm no expert but if you need a hand you can come to J-boro.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

I don't have any way of getting the car to Jonesboro. I do, however, pass through on my way to home (Mississippi). I may have time to catch up with you on my way through. Thanks..

Seth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in