Big Time Issue - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Big Time Issue

So I am pretty sure that my trans is finally giving out on me. The trans shifts firmly from first to second, then intermitantly, and sometimes refuses to, shift into "drive." This problem came about a few days ago. I think the flogging I gave it a few weeks ago didn't help matters much Anyways, I drained the trans fluid and it wasn't burned up, replaced the fluid and filter and the problem is still around. With that being said, is there anything that I can do for a reasonable cost to save my 260000 mile trans, or should I just rebuild or purchase a new one? Opinions and options are greatly appreciated.

United States Navy - Honorable Discharge

Nashville Predators - ENOUGH SAID!

See what we've been up to:
http://forums.tccoa.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 08:39 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar_fan View Post
So I am pretty sure that my trans is finally giving out on me. The trans shifts firmly from first to second, then intermitantly, and sometimes refuses to, shift into "drive." This problem came about a few days ago. I think the flogging I gave it a few weeks ago didn't help matters much Anyways, I drained the trans fluid and it wasn't burned up, replaced the fluid and filter and the problem is still around. With that being said, is there anything that I can do for a reasonable cost to save my 260000 mile trans, or should I just rebuild or purchase a new one? Opinions and options are greatly appreciated.
The 1-2 problem is probably fixable, you have to change the accumulator piston and spring. If you have problems engaging into drive, assuming the fluid level is ok, I think its game over.

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 09:46 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
Cheaper in the long run...

Search Car-part.com for a local JY that has a lower mileage 4r70w.

I paid $450 for a 12k mile Gran Marquis tranny a few years ago. Those are rarer now, lol.

The one going into the Red Cougar is jmodded, has new lines, a cooler, a DirtyD0g TC, and I'm in under a grand.

An 02 is the last year you can be sure will work; you will have to repin the harness, and swap the lever on the side, as well as get the right gear for the VSS sensor on the side.

Being as how 12 quarts of MerconV is over 50 bux, I wouldn't take a 260k mile tranny apart a bunch of times, unless you are rebuilding it; and I wouldn't rebuild that 95 tranny. The new ones have most of the upgrade parts, and have different castings than yours.

Adding a cooler and Jmodding it is also fairly cheap for the benefit; buy one spring and a set of gaskets, drill some holes and you're good! (Shameless optimism here; this is fairly hard, but you shouldn't have a problem.)

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

The search has already begun. I was driving it last night and the very first time it tried to go into "drive" I heard a nice shearing/chunks of something pingin around in the tranny. I'm guessing that the direct clutch pack is bad since it automatically jumps to neutral when it used to shift into drive, maybe the 1-2 selenoid is stuck open. But being that the trans holds second then slips into neutral, I'm guessing the clutch pack is toast, and being that I hear things clanging around in the trans, theres no saving it without a rebuild. All in all, I do know the trans is no more Oh well, I'll just try to find another somewhere, or maybe go for that 5-speed swap I've always been in favor of (Shameless optimism)

United States Navy - Honorable Discharge

Nashville Predators - ENOUGH SAID!

See what we've been up to:
http://forums.tccoa.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95

Last edited by cougar_fan; 04-15-2010 at 11:56 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 11:18 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
I've done this two and a half times so far; search my early posts about the first one I swapped, the guys here went thru everything.

You need four 24" jackstands, and a tranny jack comes in really handy.

A buddy that can press ~300 pounds would be nice, too. Beer is a good bribe, lol.

The first one took two days; it could be done in a few of hours if you did it a bunch.

Gran marquis or Crown vic NON-POLICE engines are going to be the best available; make sure it wasn't a taxi. The police trannys won't work.

Using pb blaster on the exhaust bolts the day before will make them come right off; thanks to our low-salt environment.

Dropping the tranny mount (with a jack under the tranny) will angle the exhaust so that it will come right out without interfering with the tranny tunnel. WD40 on the rubber isolators helps too. I use grease on those putting them back together.

Good luck!

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in