Swapping to a 96 Transmission pan - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Swapping to a 96 Transmission pan

Ok i have a 95 with the 4.6. what is the difference between the 95 tranny pan and the 96 tranny pan? are there any mods that need to be done to put it on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
About 1.5 quarts - you might want to upgrade to the 96+ filter also - it has a pickup on the bottom.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

ok so how many quarts of atf will i end up needing with the bigger pan and an auxiliary cooler?

i dont need to change anything for the pickup being on the bottom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpthefatty View Post
ok so how many quarts of atf will i end up needing with the bigger pan and an auxiliary cooler?

i dont need to change anything for the pickup being on the bottom?
There is a big dimple in the bottom of the 1996- pan and there is a tube about the size of a snorkel that goes down into the dimple on the 1996- filter. That is the pickup that SCTbird1994 is referring to. You can see both and compare here:

1996 Transmission Filter:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/pi/d...OT0&item=FT105

1995 Transmission Filter:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/pi/d...OT0&item=FT100
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

ok thanx guys
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 01:15 PM
3rd Gear Poster

got part #'s for the pan and filter?
and maybe a link to the original thread for jmod and parts needed
to do it, please.
if there are upgraded parts for the 96 trans that can be put in wthout
dropping the trans please let me know.
ive read some of the threads here but am looking for the good ones
thanks!---irv

oops, i see the filter #[FT105]

Last edited by irvin; 04-29-2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: more info
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 10:03 PM
6th Gear Poster

IRV, PM RobertP about getting a trans shift calibration kit. It is everything you need to do the J-Mod. There are instructions for the process in the Articles page HERE. I priced a new 96+ pan at the dealership a few weeks ago and it was just under $50. I have the PN written down but it is in the car at home.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
Part numbers and prices (as of last June) for j-mod materials and filter; don't have the pan though.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=125787

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 10:40 PM

The pan without the drain plug is about $20, with about $75.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
I always have good used pans laying around here. $15
You will need the deep filter as well, you pan gasket you can reuse as long as you have the OEM one.
I am not a big fan of the drain plugs. It may be just the area I am in ,but they seem to rot near the drilled hole and leak in a year or so. The OEM pan is ok but for the money you can put a deep cast aluminum one on.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 08:06 PM
PostWhore

I use my old 95 flat trans pan for a tool /and fastener(with a magnet) storage bin when I work on the car. I never misplace a tool. I also put some ropes on it so its easy to carry around.

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 04:48 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdguy View Post
I use my old 95 flat trans pan for a tool /and fastener(with a magnet) storage bin when I work on the car. I never misplace a tool. I also put some ropes on it so its easy to carry around.
Great idea!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 03:10 AM

Does this pan/filter upgrade also benefit 95's with the 3.8 engine? I am trying to save my trans and for the pretty reasonable cost of $75(?) I will gamble that I am successful if you think the upgrade is worth it to the car. Looks likeI can order one from you dirtydog which seems a better choice than going to the JY. ("Better a dirtydog than a junkyard dog!" There's a slogan for ya Alan.)

I am going to do my first flush and fill on my car and can use a clarification on when to clean and install the pan and new filter. "New" '96 ( will '97 also work?) pan and filter if you say guys recommend it for the 3.8.
Directions I have so far say:

Remove trans line from radiator. Some have said it doesn' t matter which line, others say it does. Top or bottom one?
Run clear tube to 2 qt bottle, start engine, drain two qts, shut off engine. This is to reduce amount of drain coming from pan. Then:
Loosen a couple bolts in a corner of pan let 'er drain. ( I was going to use my plastic (8 qt?) oil catcher.)
Here's where I need clarification. If I button it back up and leave old filter and crap in pan in place during flush the ATF (and trans) will never be truly clean.Yet, if I clean pan and replace filter before flushing won't the filter and pan get dirty from old ATF flowing through it?
The only thorough solution I can come up with is to change filter twice. Clean pan, change filter, flush till clean, leave 'er 2 quarts light again, drop,clean pan, new filter button 'er up finish filling. Take for a short spin, check level again.
$14ea. filter seems cheap insurance if it's best.

When I am doing something for the first time i tend to err on side of caution and perhaps in this case too much so.

Appreciate all suggestions to make it easier, better for me and my 'bird.
Lar

Last edited by Laramie; 05-06-2010 at 08:07 AM. Reason: forgot to ask...
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 07:59 AM

Oh just checked NAPA pricing on fllters. '95 $22, '96 $55. Says it has metal gasket. Advanced Auto was $14 on '95, didn't know to ask about ''96.
This sound about right to you? If so, i might have to hold off on '96 pan and gasket as it now comes to about$125, unless you think the 95 is that bad.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 12:22 PM
SuperNewbie

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to supergordo
The 96 and newer trans pan and filter is the way to go. I buy used pans for about $25 when I need them. You can probably find one locally for about the same price. Find a way to work this into your budget. The deeper pan was developed by ford to cure some of the issues that the earlier 4R70W's had.

You don't need to change the filter twice. Like you stated, you can pump some of the fluid from the tranny lines into a pan, then drain the converter(this is important), followed by draining the pan. After that there really won't be enough old fluid in the system to worry about.

Like DirtyDog stated, you can reuse the pan gasket if you have the OEM one still. I don't like the after market ones (cork, paper, rubber).

If you don't have the Ford gasket you can buy them at the dealer for under $30. $55 is way too much for a tranny filter. I get them for under $10 at my local tranny parts supplier or autozone. Remember, if you go to the newer tranny pan you must use the newer filter.

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 08:06 AM

gasket

i have the 96+ pan with dimple on my 95 but last filterchange i was given the normal 95 filter will it hurt to leave it in till the next change or should i get the 96 filter asap
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 08:35 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
I would get the 96+ filter.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 10:15 AM

cool

i will go ahead and replace 1-2 3-4 upgraded accumulator and springs while im at it
i read to leave out one of the lower springs (purple)?which i have,, would that be correct?
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 11:46 AM
6th Gear Poster

Exclamation

Semms like D/D says leave Purple in, especially on a 3.8 in conjunction with Mild J Mod of course.

- I personally do NOT reccommend removing Tranny lines from Radiator EVER - between the Bi-metalic corrosion at Rad Line fittings, the PLASTIC Rad end & the Aluminum Rad Core you are just asking for BIG trouble ~! - You DO NOT want to end up like this dude...

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=131849

- Air to Fluid Cooler install is really not that bad - Lines from Tranny run down Passenger side - With Tubing cutters remove section of Tubing Passenger side front - Flush lines & fit hose Barb adapters to Lines for hoses to new Cooler under Bumper Passenger Side - Just orphan out the remaining Lines that cross under Rad & terminate Driver side Rad.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in