94 bird j=modded? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

94 bird j=modded?

I recently purchased a 94 with a 4.6 and know little history on it. It likes to shift hard going into second when it's cold. Once warmed up it's not as noticeable. Also it will studder accelerating when cold. I've also noticed it hangs on to second gear alot longer than my 96 when I floor it. Not sure maybe this is a problem with my 96. The guy who sold me the car told me the tranny had just been serviced so it probably needs mercon 5. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 10:18 AM
DSM
1st Gear Poster

J-mod trans will shift hard 1-2 and probably chirp 'em.

check the fluid level and see if it is full, not low or smells burnt.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I agree, check the fluid. But, if the shuddering you experience is like running over the rumble strips on the shoulder of a highway, then that's TC shudder. You may get away with draining as much trans. fluid out as possible, changing the filter and refilling with Mercon V.

You don't have a CEL on do you? Might be a mis-fire and not TC shudder.

As far as the hard 1-2 shift, if that is the original 94 trans and has not been updated, then I'd bet the 1-2 accumulator. I think a j-mod would def. help here as it requires the installation of the updated 1-2 and 2-3 accumulators. If you go this route, check the bore for the 1-2 accumulator while you have the old one out to make sure it is smooth on the inside, as they can develop a rough spot and will tear up your new parts and nullify any gains from the new parts. That and you will have to drop the pan yet again to go in and fix it.

just my .02

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

no cel

Yeah no cel though the od button does not operate. I don't think it's a misfire because the stutter goes away when the engine warms up. pulled codes and everything seems good.

1997 Mark 8 LSC

Former owner:
1996 Thunderbird lx 4.6
1994 Thunderbird lx 4.6
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 12:28 PM
SuperNewbie

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to supergordo
Like FordMan77 said the hard 1-2 shift is likely a failed 1-2 accumulator. My 94 used to do the same thing till I J modded the trans. The cold studder is likely a dirty MAF or possibly the IAC valve. Clean the MAF, and hope its that, the IAC is a pain to get to, the MAF is easy. My 94 ran terribly when cold, barely would accelerate until it was warm. Cleaned the MAF and it was a completely different car.

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

And since you're a n00b to the site, here's a link to how to clean your MAF without destroying it.

http://tccoa.com/articles/intake/mafclean.html

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

thanks will try the maf

Will try cleaning the maf this weekend. Also can i replace the accumulator springs by just dropping the pan or will I have to drop the valve body? Never mind found the answer searching the site.

1997 Mark 8 LSC

Former owner:
1996 Thunderbird lx 4.6
1994 Thunderbird lx 4.6

Last edited by steamer471; 05-06-2010 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Found answer by searching

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in