4R70W Overfilled?? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Wink 4R70W Overfilled??

I changed my fluid (drained the pan & converter, cleaned pan, replaced filter)
I ended up with a leak via 2 many re-uses of the reuseable gasket, so I had to remove the pan again & use the rubber gasket that came with the new filter.
I have over-filled the trans now about a full quart-my question is will this hurt anything? or should I drain it down to normal level?
(I am using Mercon V fluid. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 06:48 PM
1st Gear Poster

from what i heard from numerous people is if you overfill the transmission you will have problems you burn the tranny seals/gasket something like that its better underfilled then over filled is what i been told
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:43 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarbird View Post
I changed my fluid (drained the pan & converter, cleaned pan, replaced filter)
I ended up with a leak via 2 many re-uses of the reuseable gasket, so I had to remove the pan again & use the rubber gasket that came with the new filter.
I have over-filled the trans now about a full quart-my question is will this hurt anything? or should I drain it down to normal level?
(I am using Mercon V fluid. Thanks!!
You need to pull fluid out of it, or it will come out the overflow, and can blow various seals.

You really don't want to run it low or high.

Low fluid causes different problems, all bad.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Thanks guys!! Thats what I thought.
I drove it about 15 miles on Sunday and the darn pan gasket is leaking again, so I'll have to remove it (again) & try to fix the leak.
The first time I put it back together I used the original gasket thats been used probably 3 times now and it leaked bad so I used the rubber one that came with the filter and at first it wasn't leaking but not it has a slight leak in the same area.
Should I go to Ford or a trans shop and buy a new gasket with the metal in it?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 05:22 AM
PostWhore

Garage
I have used both types with sucess. I prefer the Ford gasket.

You need to figure why you are getting leaks. Is the pan ok?

I clean the bolts in a jar of laquer thinner to get all the old oil off so they are clean when I put them it to get a good torque reading. These bolts don't take much and need to be done in kind of a X pattern. I usually start out a 15 lbs and get them all done, then bump it up to 18lbs and do them again.

1995 PI Tbird
2001 Lincoln Town Car Cartier L
1998 TA Vert
2004 Buick Regal GS
2000 Honda ST1100
1990 Mazda RX-7 2+2
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:18 AM
6th Gear Poster

Exclamation

The "Marine" Siphon Pump at Walmart works great to siphon out Fluid via Fill Tube - It's slow but you can almost empty the Pan with some patience & it's more fun than the deluge you get when dropping Pan with Tranny Full - Your 'leak" may just be the overflow Vent if you have overfilled Tranny & car is on Ramps.

OR you have overtorqued a Pan Fastener & distorted the Pan Flange at a Bolt hole or 2 - EASY to do with the aftermarket POS Felt Gasket - Give Pan a good look over & you can carefully reflatten it with hammer, file, etc... Again be patient & don;t destroy Pan - The good re-usable Ford gasket lasts a LONG time if Torqued from middle of Pan the out to fore & aft @ 100-125 inch lb~! - The Felt Aftermarket job strictly a one shot deal & only Torque to 70 inch lb - & Yes some Brake Cleaner is needed on hand at ALL times.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Guys, Hey, Thanks for the replies and suggestions!! I am headed out to investigate this more-(no time during the week) so.....how can I determine if the leak is actually the overflow vent? I wasn't aware that this trans actually had this......
And my pan was fine when I removed it 30k miles ago for servicing and was leak free, and was the same this time until I put it back together.......
I'm wondering now if I can just drain the converter some to get rid of the over-fill and see where I'm at then??? which side of the trans is this overflow/vent on? my trans is leaking on the drivers side near the front. Thanks!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 09:46 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarbird View Post
Thanks guys!! Thats what I thought.
I drove it about 15 miles on Sunday and the darn pan gasket is leaking again, so I'll have to remove it (again) & try to fix the leak.
The first time I put it back together I used the original gasket thats been used probably 3 times now and it leaked bad so I used the rubber one that came with the filter and at first it wasn't leaking but not it has a slight leak in the same area.
Should I go to Ford or a trans shop and buy a new gasket with the metal in it?
remove all varnish and grime off the bolts(if its hard to clean them let them soak in tranny fluid, its high in detergent and it disolves that stabborn oil and dirt, then rinse them w/ brake cleaner they'll be like new) a lot of the oil pan leaks develop due to those bolts vibrating loose over time. something that i like to do and its worked so far is applying a dab of BLUE loc-tite and torque them to specs. DO NOT USE RED LOC-TITE, you want to be able to remove them at a later time. good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in