Transmission fluid cahnge - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Transmission fluid cahnge

I have been pondering about whether to do a fluid/filter change in my 94 bird. Normally I wouldn't have any doubts about doing this, but after searching and finding mixed results about whether it will hurt t he tranny or not and my brother just changing his fluid and filter in his car (C4) and then his tranny going out has got me a little skeptical. The last time I changed it was a little over a year ago, when I first bought the car. I have probably put about 30,000 miles on it since then. The odometer hasn't worked since I bought it and I would estimate it has about 150k on the clock. Should I change the fluid/filter or just leave it be?

1994 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 SOHC........Air silencer delete, muffler delete (LOL), and smoked tails......SOLD!

Current: 1987 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5.0 HO 3.27 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 01:12 PM
PostWhore

Yes.... change it. I had close to 50K on my fluid when I changed it. Dropped the pan, drained the TC, replaced the filter then refilled with 13.5 qts of Mercon V and it's been shifting MUCH better now with about 1K miles since the service.

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
2001 Sable Wagon 3.0 Duratec
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 07:23 AM
PostWhore

Garage
yeah, CHANGE IT, befor it gets above like 50k, if it turns black and you cant see through it while its dumping out, your probably screwed. in fact, i generally change when its pink still, letting it go to light tan or still-clear brown... still not good idea. probably what happend to your bothers... to many people dont think about regular flushes on their trans, i wish it was as highly advertised as oil changes, probably save a lot of trans's in the long run.

if it goes "tar" black, you can leave it till it shrapnels and get a new radiator/trans/cooler/lines, or pull just the trans and start over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

My fluid is still a good medium pink color so I think I will be alright.

I am going to get this done this weekend, and although the tc hasn't developed a stutter yet, I am going to switch it to Mercon V.

For the first time I am going to drain the torque converter. I know I have to pull the rubber plug to get to the bolt, and the bolt has to be aligned with the hole. Is it ok to "bump" the motor by barely turning the key to get the bolt to line up?

1994 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 SOHC........Air silencer delete, muffler delete (LOL), and smoked tails......SOLD!

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by '94bird View Post
Is it ok to "bump" the motor by barely turning the key to get the bolt to line up?
Yes, it's fine to do that, but you might have a hard time getting it aligned. There's probably less than 5* of rotation where the plug will be lined up so that the fluid will drain out without hitting the bellhousing. I find it easiest to just stick a socket on the harmonic balancer bolt and turn it by hand.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Call me dumb, but thats the larger pulley towards the bottom center of the motor?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 11:02 PM

Ok, you're dumb. j/k Better to ask than guess and start spinning the wrong pulley while wondering, "WTF, why isn't it turning?!?"

And yup, you got it.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Jeez, thanks.... I guess I did ask for it.......

Thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in