94 LX autocross converter - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

94 LX autocross converter

Hey guys (and I'm hoping Alan of Dirty Dog notoriety in particular will jump in on this one).

I'm putting together a '94 4.6/4R70W car for stock class autocross. Doing a little reading on this forum, which is a great wealth of information and props to everybody for making it what it is, has led me to discover that whereas certain parts of my car (suspension) work great for autocross, certain other parts would cause me considerable amounts of grief (torque converter) if used in that manner.

Based on what I've read, I now believe replacing the torque converter with one that won't balloon on me if I hold Second through a short straightaway is basically a prerequisite for competing in autocross in this car. My first thought was a Marauder converter, as it is lighter than the original, will not have the ballooning problem, and is perhaps a little looser for a better launch.

I'm a little concerned about heat buildup, as a typical autocross day will consist of the car doing a total of six runs plus however many fun runs we have time for. The car will basically be beaten like a redheaded step child, probably one 1-2 upshift then cycled between 3,000 and 5,500-6,000 RPM for a minute straight, then parked idling for about 5-10 minutes, and then repeat. There will be three runs like this, then maybe an hour intermission, then three more, then another break followed by however many fun runs at the end. Did I mention this takes place at an airstrip with no shade whatsoever and it's an hour drive from my house?

I'm planning to run an external cooler, as well as probably a J-mod and probably also a forced lube kit because I really want the thing to live.

Would a Marauder converter be a good choice for this, or perhaps is there something out there better?

Thanks again guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Just realized I probably should have started this under the Torque Converters section...

Moderator, does this need moved or can we let it ride?

Thanks!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Veteran Poster

The marauder will be a nice step up. The trans cooler and Jmod need to be very high on that list. You really need all three if you have hope of the trans surviving. The 94 4r7ow trans is not known for reliability.

96 v8 4.6 explorer, kooks headers, off road x, magnaflow mufflers, cl tb/plenum, lmaf, gt tube, xcal tune, alum shaft, 3800 dirty dog converter, darrin trans, 373 gears, hoosier slicks on fanblades, pbr brakes, Skinnies on front, No PS or AC, Aeromotive EWP, major weight removal (3380 LBS), 12.78 OLD COMBO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintme205 View Post
The trans cooler and Jmod need to be very high on that list. You really need all three if you have hope of the trans surviving. The 94 4r7ow trans is not known for reliability.
So I've read. Thanks for the input!

I've been doing some ciphering, and I may just leave the 3.08's in it or maybe go to some 3.27's and just leave it in low gear for the whole run.

I need to find a shop within a reasonable driving distance that I can trust to perform the J-mod. I'm right across the river from Evansville, IN. Based on the mileage the car has and the fact that I really don't know the history of the car at all, I really should have the trans gone through anyway.

Anybody know a shop in my part of the country that I can trust to do it right?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in