Changing Pan and fluid on my 95 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Changing Pan and fluid on my 95

i have searched around some but i havent came accross my particular question/s.

Im wanting to change the Pan (its dented and leaks) the Filter and use a new gasket, then refill it with new fluid on my 95 with the 4R70W transmission.
My car is immobile right now, and i cant start it yet to cycle the fluid through the tranny. (the car is torn down for a full rebuild)

So what im asking is, will it be harmful to the tranny to drain it, reinstall the new parts but NOT filling it until a later time down the road... probably a month or 2, depending on how long it takes me to get the car put back together?
The trans. was rebuilt almost 2 years ago and has maybe 10,000 miles on it.

It seems that MerconV is reccomended in these. How many quarts does it take to fill?
I do not have a cooler installed, but plan to at a later time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 05:40 PM
3rd Gear Poster

In my opinion, I would just wait to change the fluid and filter, it's not like you need the car right now, ya know? Get you're motor rebuilt then change the fluid, that way theres no chance something might happen while the tranny sits there fluidless.

Mercon V is the best choice. I just changed my fluid and filter in my 94, drained the TC and dropped the pan, and it took about 13 quarts to refill.

1994 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 SOHC........Air silencer delete, muffler delete (LOL), and smoked tails......SOLD!

Current: 1987 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5.0 HO 3.27 gears
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Yeah i hear ya.
the motor isnt getting rebuilt, its only got about 30,000 miles on it.

Pretty much everything besides the motor is getting worked on.
I've Replaced every suspension component, replacing the gas tank, sound deadening the inside of the car and putting in new carpet, doing a full stereo install, doing a whole bunch of body work etc etc etc...
i was just hoping to get the tranny buttoned up since i was kindof at a stand still until the rest of my parts come in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 03:17 PM
PostWhore

Garage
since its a 95 dont forget to buy the deepsump pan/filter chances are, if its been rebuilt its probably been done(i would hope). and yeah i would aggree with waiting, i dont like the idea or leaving a trans fluidless for long periods or time... stuff could rust, seals could dry out, never know.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nall_one View Post
since its a 95 dont forget to buy the deepsump pan/filter chances are, if its been rebuilt its probably been done(i would hope). and yeah i would aggree with waiting, i dont like the idea or leaving a trans fluidless for long periods or time... stuff could rust, seals could dry out, never know.
The pan wont drag .. but the deep sump portion will definately hit the ground on his Bird. I would at least make sure the accumulator pistons are the updated type though.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 12:18 AM
4th Gear Poster

since u going to have your pan off, have a competent shop put a drain plug on it. comes really handy and is less messy than trying to balance the pan in mid air w/ all tha fluid in it.

the guy that rebuilt my tranny was very nice and made one for me.and came handy when i did my swap and had to drain it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in