TCC solenoid problem - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

TCC solenoid problem

I swapped a 97 mark motor and trans into my 95 bird using the bird harness. I switched out the TCC solenoids only which was the advice I was given. I had a tune made for it all using the Excalibrater tuner. I'm still getting a TCC code and the car wants to jerk when off the throttle at decent speed. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Veteran Poster

so you swapped your 97 trans with the 92-95 TCC solenoid, right?
Outside that and the MLPS it should function properly.

------------------------- Dan Gilsdorf ---------------------------
www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Yeah i swapped my 95 AODE tcc solenoid into the 97 Mark 4R70W tranny using the stock harness but it still does it. I was thinking if nothing else I'll just put an AODE back in it. Would I have to have it reprogrammed for the AODE? Any other thoughts or ideas? I would like to keep the 4R70W but will let it go if I have to. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 08:32 PM
2nd Gear Poster

did you repin your harness right.

95 Thunderbird LX
Drive train Mods:
full PI swap (03 grand marquis engine), 2000 Mustang GT 4R70W, C & L intake elbow, 73mm TB, 73mm MAF housing, CAI, flowmaster exhaust, 3.73 w/ trac lock and upgraded clutches, BOC tune.
Interior Mods:
SC seats

2008 Mazdaspeed 3
Drive train Mods:
Mazdaspeed cold air intake, TWM short throw shifter, motor mounts, and muffler delete
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Didn't think you had to repin for that. I was under the impression that's what the tune was for. If that's what the problem is would it be safe to say that putting the AODE back in it would fix the problem?
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 12:49 PM
6th Gear Poster

The harness does not need to be re-pinned when installing a '97 trans into a '95 car. A tune is also not needed if only the trans is being installed.

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

MN12s never got the AODE, always the 4R70W. Not that it helps your situation. I don't know that the case differences and internals between a 95 and 97 make the 97 transmission that much better.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangster View Post
MN12s never got the AODE, always the 4R70W. Not that it helps your situation. I don't know that the case differences and internals between a 95 and 97 make the 97 transmission that much better.
Weren't the 1989-1993 Thunderbird/Cougars considered MN12s? They came with the AOD. The 4R70W was introduced in 1994, I believe...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Thunderbird

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 08:55 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
Weren't the 1989-1993 Thunderbird/Cougars considered MN12s? They came with the AOD. The 4R70W was introduced in 1994, I believe...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Thunderbird
EDIT: this is wrong. The 4r70w was introduced with the eec-v cars, afaicr. The additional EEC capabilities were needed for the all electronic tranny, from what I've read here.

The 3.8l version will bolt to a 5.0, but they were never used that way, I don't believe. All the 5.0s have a TV cable, and that's aod.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Last edited by Grog6; 08-15-2010 at 06:31 PM.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

I swapped in both trans and motor. I was thinking of taking it down to a local dyno shop called Automotion. There is a guy who deals with ford tunning. He wasn't the one who built the tune but do you think he would be able to track it down anyway? Lonnie at Blue Oval Chips is the one I got the tune from so I know it's straight. He's just not within driving distance.
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Did you install the solenoid before you installed the transmission or did you wait until you had problems. You may just need a new solenoid, if you ran it on the wrong solenoid you probably need a new pcm.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

I did drive it before I changed it yes. Not much though. It does have the birds TCC solenoid in it now. I talked to lonnie a bit ago and he seems to think it's electrical. Im not sure if the guy who swapped it used the Birds MLPS switch or not. Would the Mark MLPS switch even plug into the Bird harness? Just trying to rule that out. Thanks.
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
The 4r70w was introduced with the eec-v cars, afaicr. The additional EEC capabilities were needed for the all electronic tranny, from what I've read here.
The 94-95 3.8s (N/A and SC) were EEC-IV and had 4R70Ws.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLINTHUNDER View Post
Would the Mark MLPS switch even plug into the Bird harness? Just trying to rule that out. Thanks.
No, they have totally different connectors.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 08:53 PM
PostWhore

Garage
just did this on my 95 today, 97Mk8 trans with the 11"TC i just got a whole new TCC for a 95 bird and threw that in. mine works great so far, without a tune or anything. never had to touch the harness or any of that. their pretty much the same trans with the smaller TC. of course i would have to assume your got the DOHC motor, mines just my old stock SOHC.

but anyway, i would bet its that TCC, might be cracked around the nipple or something, and like alan said, dont put that 97 in! it will smoke the ecm.

and the bird will have a oval shaped 6pin (i think its 6)mlps, the mark will have had a rectangle shapped one with 8 pins in it.
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

That helps alot. So the Mark 8 MLPS won't even plug into the Bird's tranny harness. Lonnie said he was going to send me a file for my programmer to take the tune off of the tranny only to see if that helps. Im trying to avoid that of course so I guess im going to try putting a new solenoid in it first then go from there. I appreciate all the help guys.
post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Well I'm getting ready to drive the Bird down to the shop. Before I do though I was wondering what kind of damage if any it would cause to the tranny with that TCC solenoid not working or is it just an annoyance?
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Converter Guy

The only way it will damage the transmission is if it is allowed to overheat.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

is the TCC not working something that will cause overheating? I was wondering if it would cause excessive heat or not.
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 05:51 AM
Converter Guy

If the converter isn't locking up you will make more heat than running without it. It shouldn't be to the point of overheating unless you are beating the crap out of it.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Well that seems to be all the questions I have unlees I'm leaving anything out. I appreciate all the info guys. Any other suggestions?
post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Well I finally got a P0743 code for my TCC solenoid problem. I was doing some looking and found that there are a few different TCC codes. Mine pointed out that it was electrical and not the solenoid itself. Does it sound possible that wires could be touching?
post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 06:50 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to LoadedButane Send a message via Yahoo to LoadedButane
Quote:
Originally Posted by nall_one View Post
just did this on my 95 today, 97Mk8 trans with the 11"TC i just got a whole new TCC for a 95 bird and threw that in. mine works great so far, without a tune or anything. never had to touch the harness or any of that. their pretty much the same trans with the smaller TC. of course i would have to assume your got the DOHC motor, mines just my old stock SOHC.

but anyway, i would bet its that TCC, might be cracked around the nipple or something, and like alan said, dont put that 97 in! it will smoke the ecm.

and the bird will have a oval shaped 6pin (i think its 6)mlps, the mark will have had a rectangle shapped one with 8 pins in it.
So all you changed was the TCC?

What do you do about the MLPS wiring difference?

Mine will be a 97 Mark tranny into a 95 Cougar.

Geoff
1995 Mercury Cougar
~Mark VIII Trans with jmod + converter, 255lph fuel pump
~heads, cams, and intake in the distant future or when I break something
post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Well it sounds like I am the only one having this problem at the moment. I appreciate all the help these guys are giving me but I'm sure I'm driving them insane with it. The more I look at the car not being able to drive it the more it frustrates me. From what I have heard the TCC solenoid is the only one that matters and you can swap any of the other sensors without it making a difference. As long as the MLPS and the TCC solenoid are a match. I've changed the actual solenoid a couple times and I am still getting the same result. I finally got that code for it and I'm trying to find a little more info about that. I'm trying to avoid taking it to the shop for them to spend hours and hours on it and not be able to figure it out and charge me a fortune anyway.
post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 09:26 AM
6th Gear Poster

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLINTHUNDER View Post
Well I finally got a P0743 code for my TCC solenoid problem. I was doing some looking and found that there are a few different TCC codes. Mine pointed out that it was electrical and not the solenoid itself. Does it sound possible that wires could be touching?
Of course it's possible but far more likely a bad connection / Connector Pin or bad or mis-aligned or mis connected MLPS.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

I went to the salvage yard yestarday to do some comparing and the connection for the mlps switch on the marks and the birds are the same. Both oval shaped. I take it that the MLPS switch controls the TCC solenoid? I plan on going back and getting both the MLPS and the TCC solenoid off a 95 Bird so I'll know for sure they're a match and try that before I finally take it to a shop.
post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 01:09 AM
6th Gear Poster

Lightbulb

If you were to purchase a proper NEW MLPS (about $50) what you'd get is a whole new Rectangular Female Connector Kit for you New NON Oval Rectabgular MLPS - The new style MLPS having terminals for 4WD, etc that go unused in your Application.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

I DID notice there were 2 holes in the plug that didn't have wires running to them but they are there on the MLPS switch. Is that an advantage switching over to the new female plug? I found the other day when I dropped the pan that the last trans shop I took it to didn't even plug the TCC solenoid back up! I plugged it however and it still does it. Where do the wires that go to the TCC solenoid come out of the tranny or do they? Thanks.
post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

I just took a look at Dirty Dogs video of the valve body removal on the 4r70w. I don't know what year that one is or if it makes a difference but that black electical connector he removes about 45 seconds into it that has the 4 connection points, mine doesn't have that. I don't know if it was removed and not put back or if the 97 Mark 4r70w's have that.
post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Converter Guy

That is the 98+ model unit. The connections are the same but you have wires.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in