Water in tranny???? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Question Water in tranny????

Yes I am kinda new here..Most of my story can be found here..

In short it's a 96 LX I parked the car shortly after replacing the tranny with one I preformed a mild J mod to and installing a 03 Explorer motor...Drove it for a short time and tranny fluid was boiling out the dip stick tube.. So I gave up..

Now I was out installing my new super tranny cooler from Rob but to install it I first had to remove the little one I already had..When I unhooked the lines to drain what was in the cooler and what came out was milky white yes almost like a strawberry milkshake...So is this water in the tranny?? If so how did it get there???

What to do now? I have the new cooler installed and I'm guessing I need to drop the pan and install a new filter anything else???

Any help would be great...

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Could be the cooler inside your rad cracked, letting coolant mix with the trans fluid. Since you have the external cooler, bypass the one in the rad completely, and then pressure test the rad to see if coolant is leaking out the fittings where the trans fluid went in. If it is, just plug off the 2 trans cooler fittings and then change the coolant and the trans fluid and filter.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

If that was the case wouldn't i see signs of tranny fluid in the coolant?

Last edited by southbound; 08-13-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 07:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Usually yes, and if you keep driving it I'm sure you eventually would, if that is indeed what is wrong, but since the car has been sitting for a while and hasn't been driven much since getting it back up and running, the conditions might not have been right yet to push enough trans fluid into the coolant for you to notice. One thing you would definitely notice though would be loosing coolant. Has it been going down mysteriously and you can't find a leak? If not, then it probably isn't the heat exchanger, but short of pouring water down the dipstick tube, I can't think of any other way to get it into the trans.

-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

This car has never lost any coolant that I know of.I drove it for a few years before I swapped the motor out..Now it is full and as green as the day I poured it in..I find it hard to believe that the radiator would fail at the same time as the engine swap but stranger things have happened....

Been reading other posts of folks talking about when to change the tranny fluid and pink tranny fluid does not seem to be a bad thing..

I think I will drain and replace the filter and fluid and give it some road time... I know the tranny and motor have less than 1000 miles on it since the swap...

At least Mec V is a lot cheaper then it was when I bought my first case.....

Thanks for all the input and please keep it coming.....
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 09:00 PM
5th Gear Poster

This happened to mine. Make sure you drain the torque converter and the lines. Mine showed no signs in the coolant but I changed the radiator anyway and did not have anymore problem. Short of pressure washing the engine I don't see how the water could get in there.

1997 Mark 8 LSC

Former owner:
1996 Thunderbird lx 4.6
1994 Thunderbird lx 4.6
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer471 View Post
This happened to mine. Make sure you drain the torque converter and the lines. Mine showed no signs in the coolant but I changed the radiator anyway and did not have anymore problem. Short of pressure washing the engine I don't see how the water could get in there.
Thanks and will do...

If I do decide to bypass the radiator does anyone know where I can get plugs for the tranny lines???
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Any auto parts store should have them. Just take the end of the line with the nut attached to them, and they should be able to match up the threads. Or, just take the nut off the lines, weld the centers of them shut, and put them back in. Usually bypassing the heat exchanger doesn't require plugging those holes, but if it is leaking, then you will end up with coolant leaking out through them, so that is why you would need to plug them.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 01:53 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Water in the transmission can do major damage, get the fluid out and changed immediately, as much as you can get. All the glues used to bond the transmission frictions,bands and torque converter clutch lining are water soluble.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com

Last edited by dirtyd0g; 08-14-2010 at 12:18 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Thanks for all the input!!!!!

Thinking I'm gonna bypass and drain and new filter then run it and see what happens...
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Here is a pic of what was inside...

What do ya think???

Water??
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Converter Guy

Ouch, that is pretty bad. Good luck.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Well it is all cleaned up and new filter installed...I bypassed the radiator for now and I dumped in 10 quarts of mec V....Need to go check the level and take her for a spin....
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Converter Guy

That means there are still 2-3 quarts of old fluid in it. I'd drive it a little and change it again. Using cheap stuff the first time wouldn't have been a bad idea to save money but if you are dealing with a stock roller clutch transmission any money spent on it could be a waste from the get go.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

No I just stopped at 10 to let all the oil run off the inside of the tube so I can get a good reading...It's like 100 outside again today and I was ready for some ac...O and it is still on ramps..I wont try for a real reading till it is on level ground....
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Ok so I put 11 quarts in so I need to drain it again in a few weeks and put all new...I can do that..As for the tranny itself I drove it for about 30 min or so,stopped for fuel and s six pack of fat tire..I had it on the highway and back roads OD on and off and I was not trying to kill it but I was not easy on it either...

Man I forgot how much I like this car...

O back on topic...When I parked at the house and got out the first thing I noticed was a weird smell not like the clutches but more like dust burning off the ole girl after sitting so long.. Like a idiot I reached down and put my hand on the new tranny cooler to see if it was hot and of coarse it was. I then looked to see if I had any leaks and all look fine so I pulled the dipstick to check the tranny fluid and it had a funny smell not brunt and I didn't think it was the clutches but it may have been...I did get the usually check engine so I read the codes and it was the same ole 135 and 155 O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction.. So I guess it is time to break down and get some new ones...

The tranny has a mild J mod and it still seemed to shift the same as it did.If I just drive it shifts firm if I am on it a little it will chirp 2nd and if I'm on it hard it will slip sideways a little when it chirps into 2nd..What has me concerned the most was how loose it feels compared to the fwd pos I have been driving of late and how quite the pipes are..I see new lower springs and true duals in the future..

All in all I was happy today but only time will tell...It will only get a few miles on it on the weekends so I have no idea how long to give it till I think all is well...

Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will keep you folks posted...
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I guess the converter has failed...Making a humming sound at idle that goes away while driving..Well it goes away as long as I'm on the gas as soon as I let off it starts back up..I also just today replaced the IAC because it would stall when shifting into gear but it did not help..I thought I have read on here about a bad converter causing the same symptoms can this be???

Again link to sound..
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Converter Guy

I bet the water took the lining off the converter clutch, they are very sensitive to water. The glue used to bond them is water based.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

So is a whole new tranny in order or can a new TC and a flush fix this???

I live in a remote place and there is not a lot of shops close by for me to take this too..

I need all the help I can get and THANKS!!!!
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 10:57 PM
Converter Guy

All of the transmissions frictions are bonded using the same method. My vote is late model transmission, a couple hundred in changes to it and install it. For the performance edge on a budget get a markviii flexplate on car-part.com and install an 11&1/4 diameter converter. Call me at 513 898 1580 and I will help you figure out what would be best for you. It doesn't sound like you need a race transmission, most shops will charge you around $1500 to rebuild that stock transmission, I think a late transmission is money better spent.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

What years can I use 2006,2008???And is there a specific model it needs to come from??

What all needs to be changed to make it work??

Carpart shows no flexplates but lots of flywheels for the markviii ..I think that's funny....

Alan thanks for all your help...

Looking like it needs to be 2003..

Last edited by southbound; 08-28-2010 at 08:42 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in