need install advice 03 mach 1 trans/converter into 94 bird - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

need install advice 03 mach 1 trans/converter into 94 bird

After reading every thread i could find on this site about 03 tranny installs into a 94 thunderbird, im still not fully confident i have a 100% complete list of things that need to be done for the swap. I bought a 2003 mach 1 trans and stall with only 2k miles on it for $800, hope i got a decent deal. I had them verify twice that it does have the correct output shaft for the speedo gear before i purchased.

Here is a list of things that ive read that will be required for the swap.

swap over the manual lever assy<-----does this assembly include linkage rod?
new 94 TCC solenoid & shift solenoids
new 94 MLPS switch/adjust?
swap internal harness or repin connector
swap my VSS sensor over
swap my oss sensor over
speedcal to correct the speedometer?
correct speedo gear for my 3.08 gear
j-mod & valvebody pacman plate
96-98 mustang or markVIII flexplate
chip/tune for "03 transmission reads off of the park teeth, The sensor is a different height and the 6 holes in the shell no longer exist"

change from the circuit board connections to the older-style wire connections

Does anyone have anything to add or take away from this list?
Also will i be limited to a 3.27 gear in the future with the 8 tooth gear versus the 7 tooth gear on the output shaft?

Im new here, but Ive done lots of transmission stuff, it was all Lt1/LS1 though. I read as much as i could before posting a question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Check the oss count on the output ring gear, if it reads on the park pawl teeth you need to open the transmission up and swap that in there or your OSS count will be 24 counts per rotation instead of 6.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Thanks for the response, i take it there is no way to fix this with a tune. Does the output shaft have to be removed for the swap & What is the average cost to tear down and change this at a shop? ive dealt with a local trans shop that has been reasonable on stuff in the past. The trans will be here soon and ill check to see what i have in there. I thought i was avoiding this once i had verifyed the speedo gear on the output shaft. Thanks for the help DD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 07:51 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Lets start the simple way, can you get me the code off the plate on the side of the transmission that you are installing? Then we can decide what all needs to be done.

I hadn't replied yet because it sounds to me like you don't have the transmission with you yet to be able to answser the questions that I am going to have to tell you what you need to do. But, as long as you know that it has the drive gear on the output shaft then you can definitely do this job easily and without needing help from a shop.

The OSS thing is easily corrected in a tune if you have to deal with that, but if you honestly have an 03 Mach transmission then that won't at all be an issue though. That issue didn't come into play until the 04 model year.

I will also tell you now that there are things that are redundant and/or may not be needed at all in your list above. For instance a speedcal and the proper driven speedo gear. To help answer that one we need to know what rear end gears are in the car that this is going into. If the gears are stock then yes to the correct speedo gear and no to the speedcal. If you are going to 3.73 gears then yes on the speedcal and no on a new speedo gear.

The internal electronic setup needs to be swapped over to wires and the correct solenoids on this setup for the easy factor.

It all starts with finding out exactly what transmission you have though. When you get that code then post back up and there are several here who can answer as to what you need.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
I prefer to dismantle the thunderbird transmissions and swap in the output shaft to help with the issues mentioned, as stated if it truely is an 03 it should be the correct count, but I am sure we have all seen transmissions tagged as the wrong year and that is a big change.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com

Last edited by dirtyd0g; 09-15-2010 at 05:30 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Thanks for the help guys, Im pretty sure its an 03. The add stated:

"03 Ford Mustang 4.6L DOHC Mach 1 Transmission 2k
Fox Auto Parts is listing this used Automatic Transmission removed from a 2003 Ford Mustang with 2,000 miles on it".

But ya never know till its in your hands, as soon as i receive it Ill post up the info from the case. Thanks for the post this mornin darrin, it made my day.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

The trans showed up today. I snapped a few pics, one of the code plate. The 3rd pic down is the VSS hole with the splines, took several tries but still blurry.

Last edited by kev93z; 09-24-2010 at 10:39 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 08:43 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Can you remove the extension housing? It's just the 6 bolts and it pops right off. Then take a pic of the output shaft.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Finally had a minute to pull off the tail housing tonight. Will i have to replace the gasket when i put it back on? It looks to be in good shape.

Last edited by kev93z; 09-27-2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: posted wrong pic
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 06:46 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev93z View Post
Finally had a minute to pull off the tail housing tonight. Will i have to replace the gasket when i put it back on? It looks to be in good shape.
That is exactly what you want to see. Not only do you have the speedo drive gear on the output shaft, but everything looks clean and the rubber on that stopper that you see around the output shaft looks almost brand new. I always pull the extension housing on a used transmission because they get bounced around a yard and often have oil dry in them from where they cleaned them up.

Looks like you got what you were after. Good job and congrats!

Oh, and yes, you can re-use the gasket if it came off clean. I always replace them because they only cost a couple of bucks at most and there is no reason not to when you have about 50 hanging on the wall right in front of you

Darrin

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 08:21 AM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Per Ford Manual Torque on the Tail Shaft / Extension Housing Fasteners is 19-22 Ft Lb & dab a tad of adhesive on cleaned Threads.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...

Last edited by BUCK; 09-28-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Tq Spec Now Per Ford Manual vice ATSG Manual
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 09:03 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCK View Post
Per Manual Torque on the Tail Shaft / Extension Housing Fasteners is 15-20 Ft Lb & dab a tad of adhesive on cleaned Threads.
Good info for him. I got excited about that thing looking as clean as it does and having the speedo gear that I forgot that he needs more info. LOL

OP, what all else do you need to know that you haven't gotten answered yet?

Darrin

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

That is great news Darrin, I figured this trans was a good deal with the stall included and the low mileage. Thanks for the torque specs BUCK, i was gonna ask after a search but you beat me to it. I will list what im pretty sure I need to do and see if i have it covered.

94 TCC solenoid & shift solenoids
swap internal harness
swap my VSS sensor over
swap my OSS sensor over
new 94 MLPS
96-98 mustang or markVIII flexplate
speedo gear for 3.08 gear and when i can afford 3.73 ill get the speed recal
Remove the 2-3 spring/ i think im gonna keep the 1-2 in there
pacman plate to prevent leakage in valvebody
new converter nuts/solid rubb mount/merc v fluid

ok not sure on a couple things

j-mod for 98 up trans- does the 2003 trans still need this or has the factory covered it?
swap over the manual lever assembly?
any adjustment needed on the MLPS?

From what ive read it seems that this is a complete list, other than the couple things im unsure about. I cant wait to get started, my trans is getting weak and id ike to beat the cold weather.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
That is great news Darrin, I figured this trans was a good deal with the stall included and the low mileage. Thanks for the torque specs BUCK, i was gonna ask after a search but you beat me to it. I will list what im pretty sure I need to do and see if i have it covered.

94 TCC solenoid & shift solenoids Yes
swap internal harness Yes
swap my VSS sensor over Yes
swap my OSS sensor over Yes
new 94 MLPS Yes
96-98 mustang or markVIII flexplate Yes
speedo gear for 3.08 gear and when i can afford 3.73 ill get the speed recal Yes
Remove the 2-3 spring/ i think im gonna keep the 1-2 in there maybe, I would use a different 1-2 setup
pacman plate to prevent leakage in valvebody If you insist.
new converter nuts/solid rubb mount/merc v fluid Yes

ok not sure on a couple things

j-mod for 98 up trans- does the 2003 trans still need this or has the factory covered it? I would use this info http://www.crownvic.net/tech/4R70Wnotes.pdf
swap over the manual lever assembly? Yes
any adjustment needed on the MLPS? Trans in neutral and line up the neutral marks on the MLPS. Here is a link to a pic of that done correctly. www.bcatransmissions.com/properalignment.jpg

From what ive read it seems that this is a complete list, other than the couple things im unsure about. I cant wait to get started, my trans is getting weak and id ike to beat the cold weather.
Hope that helps.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 08:01 AM
6th Gear Poster

I'm sure you're shopping for new Air to Tranny Fluid Cooler too.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCK View Post
I'm sure you're shopping for new Air to Tranny Fluid Cooler too.
I've been looking at gettting a cooler, possibly the 45k BTU Tru cool. I was debating wether or not i could get away without one through the winter months.

Darrin thanks for the info, definitly feel better about tackling this now.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
I've been looking at gettting a cooler, possibly the 45k BTU Tru cool. I was debating wether or not i could get away without one through the winter months.
That's a GREAT cooler, and you can get the one with the thermal bypass if you live in cold winter territory. You are after a Long Tru-Cool 4739 and I can get you one if you need it.

Just let me know
Darrin

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I finally have all the parts together to get started. I took your advice darrin and after some research purchased the brown & violet springs for the 1-2. I pulled the pan off and noticed there isnt a filter in the trans, im assuming they removed it since they sent a new filter with the trans.
I examined everything and noticed the connector on the PCS (in pic) looks like it might be different than the one on my 94 harness. Although im not sure since I havent removed my trans yet. I can tell the connectors are different on the new 94 shift solenoids and the new TCS. So im wondering if i need to change that PCS so i can connect to the 94 harness.
I ended up grabbing the autozone transcooler after reading about it here, also i had $20 on my rewards card so for $40 i couldnt pass it up.

I snapped a pic of the production date after noticing it on the bottom of the bellhousing. Looks like its a early 03 trans, or late 02 technically.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 10:51 PM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs down

Nice clean Tranny - Can;t tell thickness but Cooler about same dimensions as mine but surely some will say too small... You may have done a tad better with your $40 on Ebay there.

Last edited by BUCK; 11-08-2010 at 10:57 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in